Worried about HP..

/ Worried about HP..
One more silly question. What is considered "low hours" and what is considered "high hours"? Obviously usage, age etc coming in to play.. but is there a rule of thumb?

/ Worried about HP.. #12  
Plenty of used tractors have 1000 or less hours on them. I consider that low hours.

I wouldn't look in PA. There are plenty of decent used tractors right here in north Georgia. If you're anywhere near one of the mason tractor dealers give them a call. They seem to want to get their money back or of trades rather than making huge profits inn them. I've seen a lot of decent used stuff on Craigslist lately as well.

/ Worried about HP.. #13  
One more silly question. What is considered "low hours" and what is considered "high hours"? Obviously usage, age etc coming in to play.. but is there a rule of thumb?

I wouldn't worry at all about 1500 hours, as long as maintenance has been completed in a relatively timely manner. At the very least, I'd want to know that hydraulic oil had been changed at least once, and motor oil annually. Filters too, of course. Then I'd want to look pretty hard at the loader. Tractors are designed primarily to do work with the back end. The big rear tires, heavier, non-steering axle, and weight distribution are evidence of that. Loaders are great, but in the wrong hands, they can get mangled relatively easily, and they can do a lot of damage to the tractor. Check for pin condition, slop, etc. Check for leaking front axle seals, and loose steering. Lots of loader use, especially without adequate rear ballast will take a toll on a tractor. That'd be a bigger concern for me than hours.

/ Worried about HP.. #14  

ONE owner is generally more important than engine hours. First owner generally takes good care of the tractor. Second owner less so. By third owner tractor gets banged around and preventative maintenance is a random event at best.

Tractor reliability is primarily related to the prudence and experience of the tractor operator(s).

Last edited:
   / Worried about HP.. #15  
Still shopping for my first tractor. Need FEL, will use PTO very little (for now, i suppose? No plans for it now). General purpose usage with the FEL and some minor grading.

I notice a lot of tractors in my price range (under 10K) are the compact and sub-compact tractors (a lot with belly mowers) with 20-25hp. Is this enough to accomplish loader tasks? I look at my Cub Cadet mower at 22hp (or is 24hp) and wonder how a larger tractor with a loaded FEL with the same HP would accomplish much more. I understand its geared differently, diesel vs gas, more torque.(perhaps i answered my question).. however..

Looking for input!

Example: TractorHouse.com | 28 KUBOTA BX266 For Sale

There is a contradiction in terms between "compact and sub-compact tractors" and "accomplish much more"...I have no idea what your needs will be but the first thing I realized about compact tractors is what they all lack...and that is overall weight (which converts to traction)...and in many tasks (especially grading etc.) traction is more important than horse power...
FWIW...I have a B1700/loaded rears and will have the wheels spinning before I need more HP.

/ Worried about HP.. #16  
I've got a Kubota B7800 with ballasted rear tires. I can lift upwards of 700 lbs and do so without the rears coming up. Base tractor weight, though w/o loader, is like 1,900 lbs. I CAN stall out the tractor with its box blade (heck, I can stall out my NX55100 with a box blade! [a 1,200 lb box blade!]). I'd say that it's not only about weight, it's also about gearing! But, with tractors gearing is pretty much taken care of.;)

I bought my B7800 used with 748 hours on it. I am the second owner. I've worked the snot out of it- now have close to 1,800 hours. The original owner wore out the bucket within 2 year's time. I'd have to say that it's a toss-up as to which owner has been harder on this tractor: I can say that it's been pretty well maintained since I've owned it- ALL my equipment repairs/mods/maintenance is logged.

I've got my B7800 into very tight spaces. I've moved/pushed around some very heavy things. With 1,800 hours it can still do everything it did when I first bought it. Small framed, yes, weak, no. But, for sure, it's a low end tractor. L series are great. I wouldn't discount ANY used, reasonably well maintained Kubota.

/ Worried about HP..
It is rude not to reply to all questions from your respondents.

BX has a two-range HST transmission. What about Cub Cadet?
]

Sorry, I must have missed this question? Are you speaking of the cub cadet that I own now? It's a HST.. Not sure about two-range, I doubt it.

/ Worried about HP..
Thank you all for the input!

I'm going to pause for now and research more. Definitely not ready to make any purchases it looks like.

I'll focus on weight for sure.

/ Worried about HP.. #19  
AWESOME input, thanks guys. I'll keep researching. I dont think the subcompacts will cut it for me.. I think initially they would, but eventually i'd regret going that small.

I have a BX and agree with the above post about them. Very good little machines. Also have a bigger tractor and use it mostly for field work and feeding livestock round bales. But all in all I use that BX lots more just doing everyday things. Never considered getting rid of it when I got a bigger tractor. It's just a handy machine.

/ Worried about HP.. #20  
If you multiply hours by 60 you get roughly car miles (60 miles per hour...) Not a perfect comparison, but it works. Just realize you are talking about a diesel truck, not a passenger car. 120,000 miles is juts getting a diesel broken in. So 1000 - 2000 hours is like 60-120,000 miles on a truck.