Would You Accept This As New

/ Would You Accept This As New
Some points about the comments.The tractor sat on the lot in Quebec since last October.There is some rust on the grey painted bottom area of the tractor.A lot of the other corrosion is on parts that are not painted but just have some sort of coating on them.There is also rust on various parts all over the machine,even the chromed seat belt latch.As far as I could tell the orange painted areas all looked good.I asked,after the fact,about tarping and was told it would cause damage to the finish from flapping around.As to paying for shipping it is my understanding that all purchasers pay for shipping,it is just normally included in the price.If I was buying this machine to work it commercially I wouldn't be too concerned but it is just a toy for me and I want it in new condition,right or wrong.

/ Would You Accept This As New #12  
Like you, tractor is not "day job", more of a toy. I too am pretty fussy about condition of tractor on delivery.

I have received equipment with small areas of rust similar to what you describe. In one case, the throttle lever, they replaced it with new. Other cases of rust, frame and axle, I just apply fluid film and ignore since it will in no way affect longevity of equipment, at least in my lifetime. My last tractor was delivered with back of tractor facing forward on trailer and that was deliberate to prevent salt ingress into front of tractor.

For most dealers, tractors sit out on their lot exposed to the elements, sometimes for months or longer. Most of use who don't make a living from the tractor, store them inside and wash and wax them like a car. For the most part, the tractors are made to be left outside and exposed to whatever elements exist, including coastal farms with salt water spray.

In this case, try asking the dealer to replace parts like the seat belt that affect appearance. Also see if they would offer some sort of warranty on rust and electrical issues for several years. If they are not worried, then they likely will be willing to do so.

Keep us informed as to how you do in your discussions.

/ Would You Accept This As New #13  
After negotiating with my local dealer about a new L45 I decided to get one.The only way to get what I wanted was to ship it in from another dealer in Quebec.I agreed to pay for the shipping..................Am I making too much out of the salt exposure or is it a potentially serious problem?

My 2 cents - it's not likely a potential problem. Take delivery and start putting your own new dirt on it. In a very short time you'll forget about the dealer's crude people skills. Knowing that the machine was coming from another dealer's lot would have been the time to tell you it could come with some dirt on it - or even a little surface rust here or there. Assembled tractors often sit a few weeks or months before sale. Any surface rust that's now visible likely started long before the road trip. For dealers to keep new tractors in spotless condition (like a new car) is a relatively recent thing and usually is only for smaller ones that fit nicely in the showroom. Enjoy your new L45 and don't look back. Take care, Dick B

/ Would You Accept This As New #14  
My 2 cents - it's not likely a potential problem. Take delivery and start putting your own new dirt on it. In a very short time you'll forget about the dealer's crude people skills. Knowing that the machine was coming from another dealer's lot would have been the time to tell you it could come with some dirt on it - or even a little surface rust here or there. Assembled tractors often sit a few weeks or months before sale. Any surface rust that's now visible likely started long before the road trip. For dealers to keep new tractors in spotless condition (like a new car) is a relatively recent thing and usually is only for smaller ones that fit nicely in the showroom. Enjoy your new L45 and don't look back. Take care, Dick B
I agree tractors are make to play in the dirt. I'd take it home and give it a good soapy wash & then wax it. Then use it. Waxing it will help with clean up when it gets dirty. Buy some touch-up paint if you think there are some spots that need it.
The salt spray should not hurt it, the damaged done by salt on vehicles in the winter comes from the vehicle not being able to dry off. The salt absorbs moisture causing the rust and corrosion problems. Enjoy your new tractor

Thanks to everyone for their comments.A couple more points.The reason I agreed to get this tractor is that it is the only one available in Canada with plumbing for a hydraulic thumb.According to my dealer there is only seven in total on dealers lots in the whole country.If I don't take this one I will have to order a new one from Kubota.There will be a 2-4 month waiting period and the price is increasing 4-5 percent.This would also be the sixth new tractor I have purchased from this dealer since 2009.I don't expect him to bend over backwards for me but he should try to accommodate me, to a point.All the other new tractors I purchased had paint touch ups and some minor corrosion which I accepted but this is beyond any of them.I get the feeling this could be my last dealings with this particular dealer.They are only five minutes from me.There is another dealer about a half hour from me and I think I will start giving them my business,depending on how this turns out.

/ Would You Accept This As New #16  
Thanks to everyone for their comments.A couple more points.The reason I agreed to get this tractor is that it is the only one available in Canada with plumbing for a hydraulic thumb.According to my dealer there is only seven in total on dealers lots in the whole country.If I don't take this one I will have to order a new one from Kubota.There will be a 2-4 month waiting period and the price is increasing 4-5 percent.This would also be the sixth new tractor I have purchased from this dealer since 2009.I don't expect him to bend over backwards for me but he should try to accommodate me, to a point.All the other new tractors I purchased had paint touch ups and some minor corrosion which I accepted but this is beyond any of them.I get the feeling this could be my last dealings with this particular dealer.They are only five minutes from me.There is another dealer about a half hour from me and I think I will start giving them my business,depending on how this turns out.

I think the dealer change may be your best option. If you have bought six tractors from the dealer you are well ahead of most buyers. This deal needs to know you are considering sending your business to the other dealer. Be sure and check and make sure the other dealer is not owned by the same guy.
Here in the Kansas City area we had three dealers within 45 minutes drive. Now all three are owned by the same guy. The next closest dealer is two to three hours away.

Good luck. The dealer should clean it up and make it right. Should have paid the shipping as well.

I think the dealer change may be your best option. If you have bought six tractors from the dealer you are well ahead of most buyers. This deal needs to know you are considering sending your business to the other dealer. Be sure and check and make sure the other dealer is not owned by the same guy.
Here in the Kansas City area we had three dealers within 45 minutes drive. Now all three are owned by the same guy. The next closest dealer is two to three hours away.

Good luck. The dealer should clean it up and make it right. Should have paid the shipping as well.
I am 99 percent sure they are not owned by the same person.I know the salesman I deal with doesn't have much good to say about the other dealership whenever they are mentioned.The other dealer seems to give better prices and people really have to negotiate with my dealer to get similar pricing.I guess the only reason I stay where I am is the convenience of them being so close.Thanks for your comments.

/ Would You Accept This As New #18  
Are there many hours on it? When I was shopping for a tracked loader, one dealer's "new" ones had enough hrs on them that I suspected that dealer was renting them out by the hr just enough to still be able to call them "new". (he was also in the machine rental business). That would be a pretty lucrative skim job.

Are there many hours on it? When I was shopping for a tracked loader, one dealer's "new" ones had enough hrs on them that I suspected that dealer was renting them out by the hr just enough to still be able to call them "new". (he was also in the machine rental business). That would be a pretty lucrative skim job.

I don't know what the hours are as the key has to be turned on ,I think,to see the digital readout.By looking at the buckets I would say the tractor has never been used.

/ Would You Accept This As New #20  
Im curious as to which dealer it was. I have my suspicions. If it was the same dealer where I got mine, sounds like they havent changed. Their PDI was miserable and yes, Ive had paint issues since day one, but thats on Kubota's crappy paint although the dealer should have touched it up.

That said, I understand its a tractor. A solid washing will take care of the salt and I wouldnt sweat that too much, maybe get a few spray bombs of rust check and give it a coating underneath, wouldnt hurt anyways. Any tractor shipped this time of year as a complete unit will be seeing some salt.

How can Kubota's very spensive orange paint be crappy?
Its only slightly less spensive than Deeres spensive greene paint!!!
:rolleyes: