Would you accept this steel as new

/ Would you accept this steel as new
I can buy used steel at my local steel center. They sell it by the pound.
Bill

/ Would you accept this steel as new #12  
If you care to invest the time to look, there are various specs, like military, structural, etc, that govern surface rust. If memory serves me, they actually measure the depth of the pits with a mic, but I have no idea as to the categories and depths of acceptable pitting.

/ Would you accept this steel as new #13  
Is this Discount Steel out of Minneapolis? If so, I have had great luck with them, but I go directly to the yard. I've been very pleased with the service and materials. Very helpful even to us small guys. The drops are stored under cover, but not indoors, and there are TONS of drops... It is a long narrow shed that is open on one side to the yard. The new stuff is all indoors.

If it is actually pitted, then they really shouldn't have sent it without checking if that was OK. Sometimes it doesn't matter, but only you can make that call yourself if it is in person.

/ Would you accept this steel as new #14  
I have never received Real Rusty Iron But..Some rust may be easier to fab and clean and paint that some of the Oil soaked stuff I get.

/ Would you accept this steel as new #15  
Yes it is new, just lacking oil.

Another reason to not shop online.

/ Would you accept this steel as new #16  
from working in the fabrication business for years, I have seen steel much worse. Try ordering sime A588. That stuff is not used very often so it sits alot until its sold at the steel yards. Lots of rust, but A 588 won't pit rust.

/ Would you accept this steel as new #18  
I would have thought that at the very least, THEY would have wire wheeled it and wiped it with a little oil before shipping:confused2:

No, I wouldnt accept it as new either.

Keep us posted on what they say.

/ Would you accept this steel as new
Is this Discount Steel out of Minneapolis? If so, I have had great luck with them, but I go directly to the yard. .

Yes it is. If you look at the last pic you will see the rest of the new steel I bought. That is what new should look like.
Bill

/ Would you accept this steel as new #20  
run a wire brush on a grinder over it, and it will probably be just fine.

structural steel such as flat bar is hot rolled, it always has mill scale and is never ready for paint in the context of nice automotive type finish.

light surface rust helps lift the mill scale and makes it easier to buff off. i always wear a respirator when doing the buffing though... nasty dust... and as a rule of thumb, always clean the entire piece prior to fabrication. :thumbsup: