Wow are there a lot of different quick hitches out there. Which one for me?

/ Wow are there a lot of different quick hitches out there. Which one for me? #1  

MinnesotaEric

Tractor
Kioti NX6010
I thought I had the quick hitch thing puzzled out. I had planned on getting a Cat 2 Pat's easy quick change but then I stumbled on a video that cast doubt on the wisdom of using a Pat's in my application (for those who are wondering, the Pats in that video was installed correctly).

Anyway, I have a Kioti NX6010 which ballasted weighs 6100 pounds plus the weight of the loader and bucket. I will be using a Woods BB720X Brushbull that weighs 1140 pounds, and maybe a little more since I ordered it with chains. The lands I will be clearing has grade changes and I plan on going straight up and down the steeper parts to avoid tipping. In areas too steep for the tractor where I cannot use the Brushbull, then out will come the Stihl FS420 weedwhacker from the ninth circle.

That all said, there are a bewildering number of Cat 2 quick hitches. Woods, Landpride, Speedco, Nortrac, and more. Oh my. Anybody with feedback on them? Are they all made to a standard size? What is the story with pins? Should I simply buy the Woods Cat 2 Quick Hitch or is there a cost savings to be had elsewhere?

/ Wow are there a lot of different quick hitches out there. Which one for me? #2  
Do you weld?
How many implements do you have?
How "standard" are they?
Can you use search?
as in:
"quick hitch site:tractorbynet.com"

There's a ton of info on TBN about all the various flavors of quick hitch.

Most will mention that various flavors of QH's often require some welding for various slightly off size implements.

I don't weld (yet), had an eclectic variety of cat 1 and cat 2 implements to mount, some of which were NOT mine, and faced the strong possibility of having "problems". So I bought the CAT2 PEC.

Looking at the video you reference I have read of people with similar problems adding some more bolts in the holes that are already there.

As far as
Are they all made to a standard size?
Yup, usually, but the implements vary.

/ Wow are there a lot of different quick hitches out there. Which one for me? #3  
Last edited:
   / Wow are there a lot of different quick hitches out there. Which one for me? #4  
I think Newbury is spot on.

You may need to do some welding and fitting to make all the implements work with a quick hitch. I spent a day back in 2009 doing just this and since then using a quick hitch has been super easy. That was not difficult to do and I set up about 10 implements that day some old and some new, half of them were a matter of installing the correct bushings and pins.

/ Wow are there a lot of different quick hitches out there. Which one for me?
I ordered a SpeeCo CAT2 in 32" size. Hope that it works with a Woods BB720X because SpeeCo also makes a Quick Hitch CAT2 in 39" size.

/ Wow are there a lot of different quick hitches out there. Which one for me? #6  
The manual for the BB720X describes how to reconfigure the attachment frame to be quick hitch compatible. If you already have the cutter, you might want to measure the spacing between the lower link clevises. Then you can determine if you need the 32" or the 39" QH.

If you don't have the manual, here it is:
http://www.woodsequipment.com/files/Products/Manuals/MAN0654.pdf

The instructions to reconfigure the frame is on page 14.

I have an old 60" BushBull....the one is also reconfigurable...which I did. Works fine with a Deere QH.

I don't have the cutter or the tractor yet and I'm running out of time. Although everything is paid for, I ask silly questions about things i could answer myself if the stuff was right in front of me. Since the manual says nothing about the width, I'm simply taking a risk on what size the get. Unfortunately, I only became aware to two different widths after I ordered the quick hitch because I was under the impression that the things are made to a single standard.

/ Wow are there a lot of different quick hitches out there. Which one for me? #8  
   / Wow are there a lot of different quick hitches out there. Which one for me? #9  
Since both your tractor and your cutter are Cat 1/Cat 2, the Cat 2 quick hitch should work fine with your setup.

I have a DK45SE which has a Cat 1 hitch, and a Woods BrushBull BB72X cutter, which is also Cat 1. I bought a Woods Cat 1 quick hitch along with the tractor and cutter as part of my deal, and am very happy with it. I also added Brian's top and tilt cylinders (Fit Rite Hydraulics - fitritehydraulics.com), and love the flexibility they give me. I also like the adjustable top hook on the Woods quick hitch, as I need to use the top set of holes with the mower but the second set of holes with my rollover box blade and tiller. I did need to get some bushings to make the Cat 1 pins on my implements fit my quick hitch better. With my Cat 1 quick hitch, I need Cat 1 to Cat 3 bushings for proper fit. Some I sourced from Woods, others from Land Pride, but must are available at any farm supply store.

Good luck with your new tractor, when you get it.

I too would have thought that a QH would be 1 size as TractorData.com - Three-Point Hitch specs out a Cat 2 at 32" and cat 3 at 39.

I thought I had the quick hitch thing puzzled out and ordered a SpeeCo CAT2 quick hitch which is rated up to 100 hp. Then I watched a video of Ted from everything attachments and it confused me. I think I'm going to run with Ted screwed up what he meant when he made the video at 6:40 on talking about the sizing and widths. I've certainly mis-spoken making videos before too.