WR 20 hay rake

/ WR 20 hay rake #1  

kenmac

Tractor
McCormick CX105 Kubota MX 5100 HST, Kubota ZD1021, Kawsaki Mule 4010 trans 4x4
looking at a WR 20 8 wheel hay rake. Seems to be in pretty good condition. $1300.00
Pros/cons
Thanks

/ WR 20 hay rake #2  
Wheel rakes that have raking wheels behind frames operate fine in thinner type hay crops but plug easier in heavier types of hay. High capacity wheel rakes that have rake wheels mounted in front of raking wheel frames & raking wheels actually push not pull hay.

Most butterfly fold wheel rakes I've seen are less affective the more acres they have raked. The rake frame hinge points get worn oblong allowing raked windrow to narrow/widen during raking process.

/ WR 20 hay rake #3  
looking at a WR 20 8 wheel hay rake. Seems to be in pretty good condition. $1300.00
Pros/cons
Thanks

If it's in good shape, has all its tines, etc., you couldn't touch it for that price around here. If there are a lot of tines missing, or a lot have just been replaced, you might be faced with replacing all the rake wheels to solve the problem of breaking tines.

If I needed an 8 wheel rake, and liked the looks of it, I'd make them an offer with the intent of taking it home.

/ WR 20 hay rake #5  
Wheel rakes are gaining in popularity in my area.

/ WR 20 hay rake #6  
Wheel rakes are very popular here. So simple. Just unfold and drive forward. No PTO to worry with, really no adjustments. And they do a great job. An 8 wheel rake like this one will clear about 23' and brings all the hay to the center. If you want a kicker wheel, that's something to think about. But if you use a tedder and you normally move your hay once or twice prior to raking, not really necessary. (I use mine without a kicker wheel. Bunches up and jams up much less.)

Super easy for anyone to use. In hay that's too heavy, just move over and take a smaller bite. Simple.

/ WR 20 hay rake #7  
An 8 wheel rake like this one will clear about 23' and brings all the hay to the center. Simple.
I've raked with wheel rakes since the mid 1990's. You're overstating the raking width of an 8 wheel @ 23 feet.

Similar type JD model 702 8 wheel rake specifications in operators manual states maximum raking width @ 19.8' & 10 wheel @ 22' . My H&S ""14 wheel"" high cap rake will only rake about 30' width.

I'll add when rd baling moving over with a wheel rake to rake partial cutter swath on one side of rake causes an uneven windrow which makes creating a flat/even rd bale much more difficult. That's one of the large advantages of a bi-fold rake similar to my H&S hi-cap rake. If hay is too thick just move hyd cylinder control lever to move rake wings together to proper width to form an even windrow.

Last edited:
   / WR 20 hay rake #8  
I've raked with wheel rakes since the mid 1990's. You're overstating the raking width of an 8 wheel @ 23 feet.

Similar type JD model 702 8 wheel rake specifications in operators manual states maximum raking width @ 19.8' & 10 wheel @ 22' . My H&S ""14 wheel"" high cap rake will only rake about 30' width.

I'll add when rd baling moving over with a wheel rake to rake partial cutter swath on one side of rake causes an uneven windrow which makes creating a flat/even rd bale much more difficult. That's one of the large advantages of a bi-fold rake similar to my H&S hi-cap rake. If hay is too thick just move hyd cylinder control lever to move rake wings together to proper width to form an even windrow.

Thanks for the correction on the width. That sounds about right. But almost 20' of raking width for $1300 sure beats using a PTO driven bar rake.

I have a small JD square baler and it's pretty forgiving about uneven windrows. I don't think NH or some other small balers with different pickups handle them as well. Good point about round balers.

I kind of assumed that the OP is looking for equipment on the cheaper end of the spectrum given the original question. A rake like yours would be LOTS more wouldn't it? (Like 10 times more for a used one?)

/ WR 20 hay rake #9  
Last edited:
   / WR 20 hay rake #10  
My H&S Hi-cap rake cost $9000 in 2002 but it has now raked many 1000's of acres/rd bales therefore my rake cost per acre is low. . I've read that equivalent new rake is over $20K. There's a 2002 model similar to my rake on Tractorhouse fot $9,900

It is crazy how expensive equipment is! Good used equipment around here is somewhat hard to find. I sold a used Sitrex 10-wheel rake with kicker about 3 years ago for $3100. (The buyer still loves it.) Couldn't buy it for $4000 now.

That's why I suggested that $1300 is a good price if it's in good shape. I use a similar style on a 2-wheel caddy and it works good for my small operation. Just depends on what you're looking for . . .