WTB: older farm hoe and need advise

/ WTB: older farm hoe and need advise #11  
   / WTB: older farm hoe and need advise #12  
LD1...

Sorry I didn't see this sooner. I was out of town for a few days and then this ice storm hit. And we don't handle ice very well here in Georgia~!

Anyway ... the 310B is old. Very old. That's a late 50's model. I don't think they put the diesel in any 310B's. I think they were all gas burners.

I'd keep looking for a newer model before I spent much at all on a 50yo gas burner backhoe.

Mark

/ WTB: older farm hoe and need advise
Just an update for everyone:

I think Dad is going to buy a Ford 4500.

About a week ago one came up and it was here local. Really local. Only about 20 miles away. So we went to look at it.

10 degrees that morning and a dead battery. Only about 5 minutes and a quick burst of ether at the air filter and she fired right up and ran really well.

It is about what we expected based on the pics and asking price of $3900. Didn't see ANY major leaks at all, and NONE from the engine and transmission. Hydraulics had enough power to lift both front and rear into the air, so that is a good sign. And when we got there (this is at a camp ground that is currently closed for the winter), the hoe was in the air. Since it had not been started for ~ 2 weeks, this was also a good sign that things werent leaking bad.

Now for the few bad things:

The loader and frame does have some welded repaires. But they look very sound and not like some amature just burning rod.

A few of the hoses look bad, but about half of them are fairly new.

No welds on the backhoe itself, but the pins are sloppy. But we can live with that. And the bucket is pretty thin.

I think he is going to buy this one. Arranging for a friend to haul it this weekend. All of the problems with it are nothing too maor that we cant fix easily. Like welding a new skin on the bucket, changing some hoses, etc. He didn't want a perfect one, cause of $$. I think this one fits the bill nicely. And parts shouldnt be an issue either since the 4500 is based on the later model 4000.

Can wait to get it home and see how she digs. It looks POWERFUL. 4" cylinders on the boom and dipper stick, and maybe a 3-1/2" on the bucket:D

/ WTB: older farm hoe and need advise #14  
Just an update for everyone:

I think Dad is going to buy a Ford 4500.

About a week ago one came up and it was here local. Really local. Only about 20 miles away. So we went to look at it.

10 degrees that morning and a dead battery. Only about 5 minutes and a quick burst of ether at the air filter and she fired right up and ran really well.

It is about what we expected based on the pics and asking price of $3900. Didn't see ANY major leaks at all, and NONE from the engine and transmission. Hydraulics had enough power to lift both front and rear into the air, so that is a good sign. And when we got there (this is at a camp ground that is currently closed for the winter), the hoe was in the air. Since it had not been started for ~ 2 weeks, this was also a good sign that things werent leaking bad.

Now for the few bad things:

The loader and frame does have some welded repaires. But they look very sound and not like some amature just burning rod.

A few of the hoses look bad, but about half of them are fairly new.

No welds on the backhoe itself, but the pins are sloppy. But we can live with that. And the bucket is pretty thin.

I think he is going to buy this one. Arranging for a friend to haul it this weekend. All of the problems with it are nothing too maor that we cant fix easily. Like welding a new skin on the bucket, changing some hoses, etc. He didn't want a perfect one, cause of $$. I think this one fits the bill nicely. And parts shouldnt be an issue either since the 4500 is based on the later model 4000.

Can wait to get it home and see how she digs. It looks POWERFUL. 4" cylinders on the boom and dipper stick, and maybe a 3-1/2" on the bucket:D

Sounds like you got yourself an alright machine. My uncle has a ragged out 4500 that we sometimes borrow (yours sounds like it's in MUCH better shape). His "marks it's territory" quite a bit and has some other squawks.

Sounds like you got yourself an alright machine. My uncle has a ragged out 4500 that we sometimes borrow (yours sounds like it's in MUCH better shape). His "marks it's territory" quite a bit and has some other squawks.

How does it do digging.

I am kinda new to backhoes, but the 4" cylinders deffinatally look impressive compared to the sized cylinders I see on the backhoe attachments I see at dealers on 40-50HP tractors.

It doesnt look like their is much this thing couldnt dig through short of an iron plate:thumbsup:

/ WTB: older farm hoe and need advise #16  
How does it do digging.

It does pretty decent. Used it to put in a nice sized septic tank drainfield and in construction of a seawall at the family lake place a few years ago. I think ya'll be happy with it for farm use. I do have to borrow it soon to do some work around the house fixing a clogged basement/foundation drain, so I'll get a bit of "refresher" on it before too long.

I think I forgot to mention that one other thing we need to do is tighten up the hydraulic controls. There appears to be an adjustment at the bottom ob them. But thay have a lot of slop. HAve to almost move each control several inches before any response at all. It kinda rules out doing multiple functions with one hand.

Should get it home tomorrow and give it a good going over. I will post pics soon.

Got her home today. It was a little difficult to start this morning being only 5*F outside. The battery is weak and is going to need replaced.

Overall, it runs really well. Has a few leaks that should be no problem to fix. Many pins are a bit sloppy but will be fine for now. There are only a few things we are going to address before she gets put to work.

1. obviously the battery
2. The rubber fuel lines that return from the injectors need replaced.
3. The controls are going to get new pins/bushings. They were really sloppy. You could move the controls 4" or so each way before the valve actually moved.
4. We already swapped front tires with the JD 2040, cause these were in really bad shape.

Thats about the only major things for now, just a lot of cleaning the 35 year old grease ad grime off of it.

A few things I am interested in though, if anyone knows, are some specs.
Operating weight?? Loader lift?? and backhoe digging force??

Loader lift cylinders are 3.5". Backhoe boom and dipperstick cylinders are 4.5" and the bucket cylinder is 3.5". So I took some quick measurments and figured 2000psi.

Loader lift I am comming up with around 10,000lbs at the pins. But the weight of the bucket and loader frame would need subtracted. So figuring around 6K at bucket center. Which it is a 6' ~ 1yd bucket.

The backhoe I am not sure how they figure dipper stick force. If it is only to the bucket pin, then it is about 7200lbs. But if it is to the tip of the out-streched bucket, then it is 5200lbs. And the bucket digging force comes in at ~7100lbs as well. And total weight I am guessing to be ~10k. Tractordata lists it at 7200 w/o the hoe.

So if anyone has any paperwork or links that can give actual specs, it would be appreciated.

Here are some crappy cell phone pics with terrible lighting:D

Attachments

• Jan23_0001.jpg
    Jan23_0001.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 140
  • Jan23_0002.jpg
    Jan23_0002.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 186
  • Jan23_0003.jpg
    Jan23_0003.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 154
  • Jan23_0004.jpg
    Jan23_0004.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 147
  • Jan23_0005.jpg
    Jan23_0005.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 151
  • Jan23_0006.jpg
    Jan23_0006.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 148
  • Jan23_0007.jpg
    Jan23_0007.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 155
   / WTB: older farm hoe and need advise #19  
The old Ford's 655 & 755 are a lot of bang for the buck and can load over 1 1/2 tons per scoop (usually 2 yd loader bucket) has at least a 20' digging boom! (can dig a 50X100 > 10' deep) w/max digging depth @ 18', basement in <6 hrs. w/36" bucket. Avg. price is 8K though and will require a minimum 12ton trailer for transport. But, there's not a better or bigger hoe out there with readily available parts from Ford. Good Luck and if you go with this type tractor, try to find one w/4-1 loader bucket. Will have less mass load capability but can then grab (demolition) and grade easily (tractor weighs 18,000 lbs) like a 15 ton dozer.:thumbsup:

/ WTB: older farm hoe and need advise #20  
Sorry, didn't go to second page of post and see you already posted about your new backhoe. But,a least it's a Ford. Only my opinion, but Ford makes some great backhoes (over kill on hydraulics), using minimal HP.