X330 loses traction on hills

/ X330 loses traction on hills #1  

edells

Tractor
2000 New Holland TC35D, 2017 John Deere X330, 15hp DR Field and Brush Mower
When my wife is mowing with our new X330, it loses traction on some of the slopes we have in our yard. She had to come get me to back it away (uphill) from a tree she somehow managed to get the front end up against and couldn't get it to backup. My extra 35-40 pounds gave it enough traction to get it to back it up. And, luckily, I had had the good sense to put a front bumper on it right away after purchase as the bumper was, in fact, resting right against the tree.

Anyways, I went looking online for wheel weights to put on the rear wheels and found out that they don't make them as the wheel is not designed to accept weights. So I thought I'd pose the questions here as to what other X330 owners might have done to add some rear ballast to their mowers?

Thanks for any advice.

/ X330 loses traction on hills #2  
Put on a second helping a supper!

/ X330 loses traction on hills #3  
When my wife is mowing with our new X330, it loses traction on some of the slopes we have in our yard. She had to come get me to back it away (uphill) from a tree she somehow managed to get the front end up against and couldn't get it to backup. My extra 35-40 pounds gave it enough traction to get it to back it up. And, luckily, I had had the good sense to put a front bumper on it right away after purchase as the bumper was, in fact, resting right against the tree.

Anyways, I went looking online for wheel weights to put on the rear wheels and found out that they don't make them as the wheel is not designed to accept weights. So I thought I'd pose the questions here as to what other X330 owners might have done to add some rear ballast to their mowers?

Thanks for any advice.

What about filling the tires with WW fluid or even Rimguard if you can find a dealer near you. That should help quite a bit. You could make your own Wheel weights out of concrete, and drill you own holes. But the fluid fill is easy and quick. It can even be water if you live somewhere way south... It doesn't say in your profile..:)

/ X330 loses traction on hills #4  
the suitcase weights will hang right on the back frame of the tractor. if a couple helps it could be all you need.

it does sound like you may be a candidate for an X5 size garden tractor. those little X3 series are not designed
for steep terrain, and unfortunately the transmission can be the weak point and fail early on if over taxed.

/ X330 loses traction on hills #5  
Just a point of reference.

I run a Bolens HT23 around the yard and do all the snow removal with a blower fitted in winter. Last fall, I fabricated a simple "spike" off the trailer hitch that held 120# of "lifting weights". WHAT A DIFFERENCE!

It really does not take a lot of extra weight to aid rear wheel traction and grip. The Bolens weighs just north of 1200# and HAS WHEEL WEIGHTS. So an added 120 # is only 10%. We are not talking tons here.!

/ X330 loses traction on hills #6  
I wouldn't drive down a slope then expect to back up. Try backing down and then driving back up as it will put more weight on the rear tires. Ideally I would only drive to the top or bottom of a hill, turn around, then drive back. The other options, like turning on a slope, stopping on a slope and then changing directions create issues. Adding weight is an option but adding it to just one end could cause new issues. Putting 100 lbs of weight on the back of your tractor could make the front lighter when driving up a slope. If the slope is steep enough it could be unsafe. Wheel weights would be a better choice.

/ X330 loses traction on hills #7  
I have had fluid and 200# of wheel weights on my GT tractors since the early 70s. It takes a little more power to push the tractor but I got myself out of a lot of jams with them. I can mow hills and ditches where without the weight I would be push mowing them.

/ X330 loses traction on hills #8  
Sadly, even though I have less than an acre to mow, the rear differential lock was the sole reason I went with a X500. My old JD 175 Hydro was always getting stuck and I vowed my next mower would have diff lock. Had the X300-series had diff lock I would have gladly bought one.

/ X330 loses traction on hills #9  
Best IMO is to move to the all-wheel-steer for good traction.. surprising to me how being able to turn the rear wheels out of a slippery condition improves traction. The improvement working on slopes and being able to turn up a slope was impressive after having tractors with just front wheel steer.

/ X330 loses traction on hills
What about filling the tires with WW fluid or even Rimguard if you can find a dealer near you. That should help quite a bit. You could make your own Wheel weights out of concrete, and drill you own holes. But the fluid fill is easy and quick. It can even be water if you live somewhere way south... It doesn't say in your profile..:)

Thanks for all the ideas and suggestions. All things considered, I'm going to add the Rim Guard to the rear wheels. It seems like it will do the job and be a simple solution. I've got a local place that sells it for $2.50 a gallon so it shouldn't cost that much for 10-12 gallons, I'm guessing. One thing I found out is to make sure you have 'air and liquid' rated valve stems as 'air only' valve stems may not hold up.

FYI, some Rim Guard info from their website - Rim Guard - Liquid Tire Ballast

Rim Guard® is nearly 30% heavier than water.
Rim Guard® is non-corrosive.
Rim Guard® is non-toxic and biodegradable.
Rim Guard® is freeze-resistant down to -35ï½°F.
Rim Guard® is cost effective because inner tubes are not needed and tires are easier to repair.
Rim Guard® is the one and only Beet Juice tire ballast!

Thanks again everyone!

Last edited: