X340 or X500

/ X340 or X500 #11  
You can deal on these machines. To compete (to some degree), JD has kept the prices fairly flat over the past few years. I bought a 335 LGT for my dad (that I ended up selling to another forum member) a few years back and, if I recall correctly, the price was not much less than the X540 is now. That machine had 20 hp and this one 26 hp and better tires and a larger deck option for just a bit more dinero. I feel that one can still probably get 10% off these machines fairly consistently and some may be able to do better than that. It is true that over the life of a machine that may provide 1200-1500 hours of trouble free service if cared for (that would be around 20 years life for the average homeowner) a $1K difference in price is not too much. I have always felt it better to get a little more than one needs than a little less. I suppose my point is that in mowing, unless the lot is steep, rutted or filled with ditches and banks, the machines will mow almost the same. They will mow about the same speed and feel about the same in the cockpit. The difference would be seen in challenging terrain where the 500 series, weighing roughly 200 pounds more with larger tires and a differential lock, would be significantly better. That said, I was able to mow some fairly steep banks with my dad's old 360. These mowers have suspended decks which means that 180 pounds or so is hanging off them adding ballast for challenging terrain. In snow removal and gardening, the 500 series is significantly better, so if either of those is in your plans, then go no less than the 500 series. I am not trying to spend your money to excess, but another option is to look at the gas powered 700 series. They are more pricey, but using our amortization model it might not be that much more to move up another notch. I will say that the difference in overall performance between the x700 and the x500 series is greater than that between the x300 and the x500 series.

John M

/ X340 or X500
Thanks John. Any thoughts on a new x500 vs a GT or GX? Seeing a few machines around that are in the 3,500 to 4,000 area. I would like to keel the hours under 500.

/ X340 or X500 #13  
There are some good machines out there, but some have been abused, too, and often one does not know just from looking. Assumably, dealer resold units have been subjected to QC before selling, but with my machines those few that I have traded in have sold so quickly that the dealer often is going on my word that the machine is OK. Since I am picky about maintenance and service this is OK, but in some cases not. Over the past few years JD has offered a number of cash back incentives and financing options to try and keep sales of this machine high. It is no secret that the mowing advantages of the ZTR's have cut into the potential sales of these machines. The problem on the back side of this practice is it makes getting a new X 500 almost as cost effective long term as getting a GX--- without the potential risk. I like the GX machines, but I also like the X 500 machines. Despite waxing nostalgic, the 500 series seems to be upgraded v. the 300 series with more powerful engines, better tire options, a better seat and upgraded ergonomics to name a few. While on the lawn the performance difference between the two is pretty minute, it is there and makes me suggest going with a new machine instead. My only other concern is that JD did do enough to separate the 500 series from the 300 series for those who primarily mow.

John M

/ X340 or X500 #14  
I am beginning to think features on the x360 such as power steering and mower deck although are nice, are not needed and could be problematic in the future. Would I be correct to assume the simplicity of the x500 will pay off in the long term? Less systems to break? I'm looking for a long long term machine and don't mind the extra $1000. Simplicty coupled with heavy duty parts that are overkill should live up to my long intended life. The cub cadets have a serviceable rear transaxle with it's own oil filter. Is the x500 serviceable as well?

/ X340 or X500 #15  
The power steering system and hydraulic deck lift on the 360 are very simple systems. Not much to break there and JD offers a really good warranty. To me, not getting those things via the logic that they may break just has someone using the machine without those benefits (which are really nice to have) for no reason. My dad never wanted cruise control on his cars when I was growing up because it was "one more thing" to break. He feathered the pedal for 20 years then when he bought his first car with cruise control it made long drives easier and better and did not break as he predicted--but he had already spent 20 years doing it the hard way. The same applies here in my mind. Also, since these features have been offered and perfected in the JD line's larger garden tractors for some it is not like we are dealing with unproven technology.

John M

/ X340 or X500 #16  
If only the x-360 had a locker this would be easier! Towing my cyclone rake heavy with collected leaves on hills gets tricky, everytime my wheels spin I think of the x500. I made a checklist of features and importance and I'll be honest, the machine that checked them all was the x534 but the price is staggering. Ive never experienced 4ws with a trailer. Better/ worse? My cyclone uses a dual point hitch and has wheels on casters so it always tracks behind you without jackknifing.

/ X340 or X500 #17  
My dad has a Cyclone Rake for his old Gravely that we hooked onto his 360 when he had it. It pulled it fine, but he was on dry ground and the lawn upon which he uses it is pretty flat. It is true an X500 would be better for this, but the 360 can handle the job fine too unless one lives where it is really hilly.

John M

/ X340 or X500
Is the 340 really made to push snow and haul mulch and wood etc? I clearly found out my 120 was not. I really need to take some pictures of my property and let you all tell me if you think I really "need" the 500.

/ X340 or X500 #19  
That would be helpful. The 300 series, especially the top numbered ones, can do snow removal and pull carts fine, probably not as well as a 500 but acceptably well. I do not think you would have much problem, but again I speak of my favorite 300 series the X 360.

John M

/ X340 or X500
Pics of my yard. I'm trying this from my iPhone so let's see if it works. I have 2+ acres of cuttable grass.

Attachments

• image-2440196028.jpg
    image-2440196028.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 299
  • image-933567777.jpg
    image-933567777.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 303
  • image-1851093708.jpg
    image-1851093708.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 290