X340 or X500

/ X340 or X500 #21  
I saw the pictures that you posted. I don't want to tell you how to spend your money...but the transmission on the x500 is going to take the torque you need along with driving the blades while you're mowing the grass (next year). Have you looked at tractorhouse.com for machines on there?

/ X340 or X500 #22  
Nice yard with some slight roll to it, the X360 should work well for you. I don't see any need for a mower larger than an X360 in your case.

/ X340 or X500 #23  
Nice yard with some slight roll to it, the X360 should work well for you. I don't see any need for a mower larger than an X360 in your case.

I don't have an x360 but both the 360 and 500 have the power to drive a 54 inch deck when it comes to mowing and that's very very very nice.:thumbsup:

/ X340 or X500
I figured...but I think my yard is hillier than the pics show. But I still think the 340 will be fine for me. I really like the traction pedal on the 500, though. Heck, my L120 lasted 6 years before problems set in.

/ X340 or X500 #26  
Having been in your shoes and having folks tell me the same, it seems as though you are psychologically leaning to the X500 series but have not yet reconciled it in your mind. My advice with these machines is that they do last a long time with good service, which means two things: first, if you buy something you really do not want you will be stuck with it a long time unless you trade, which is always an expensive proposition, and second; these machines over several years offer very little difference in price per year, so a difference of $2-3 thousand dollars is not that great when spread over time and use. Looking at your pix, either a larger 300 series or the 500 series would do fine, but if your question was if you could justify a 500 for your yard, the answer would be yes. If I had your lawn and property I would be getting a 540 and not looking back, though there are some negligible differences in some areas to the higher numbered 300's which I have noted in previous replies.

John M

/ X340 or X500
I'm going to get a new x500. Big question is when is the best time to buy it. JD has the $500 off until Feb 28th. I can not afford the plow right now so I plan on killing my L120 this winter. When is the best time to maybe get a few bucks off the price from my local dealer?

Should I get the other tires instead of the regular turf type? Any other options I should consider?

/ X340 or X500 #29  
I'm fairly certain I'll be buying an x500 as well unless I get a huge Christmas bonus and get the 534. I also noticed the feb 28th deadline and my thinking is at least to wait until the middle of January. Dealers will be ordering new machines then and I think the x500 is still a safe bet to be in stock just about anywhere. Do you live near any tax free states? I'll be making a two hour drive to new Hampshire since Taxachusettes voted down a proposal to cut our sales tax in half. I've seen them as low as $4999 so that's what I'll be looking to spend.

/ X340 or X500 #30  
I'm going to get a new x500. Big question is when is the best time to buy it. JD has the $500 off until Feb 28th. I can not afford the plow right now so I plan on killing my L120 this winter. When is the best time to maybe get a few bucks off the price from my local dealer?

Should I get the other tires instead of the regular turf type? Any other options I should consider?

X500 with Turf tires are fine...even on the slope I have pulling the commercial DR Power Vac. The X500 is great....the DR Power VAC is another story.