X700 Series Unavailable in the South?

/ X700 Series Unavailable in the South? #1  

ritmatt

Tractor
None Yet
I'm interested in seeing an X700 series tractor, especially a diesel model, in the Atlanta area. But, I can't seem to find a single dealer that stocks them. There are lots of Deere dealers around, but the biggest Deere lawn tractor I've been able to find is the X300. In contrast, almost every dealer seems to have the 1023E and 1026R in stock.

Today, a local dealer told me that the X500 and X700 series aren't very popular in the South. I can confirm that it seems that most of the dealers I've found through eBay seem to be located in the northern half of the country.

Why is that? Is there some special reason that X500 and X700 tractors might not sell well in the South?

What am I missing here?

Thanks.

Matt

/ X700 Series Unavailable in the South? #2  
I live in south Florida, and had to order my X540. The guys at the dealer were all over it like they never saw one before. With the mostly flat ground around here, Zero-turn mowers are the most popular. Most of the pro's use ZT's I admit that my X540 is way overkill for most of the tasks I use it for, I still am glad I bought it. I wanted the towing capability as well as a mower that does not get bogged down. Nothing so far has even fazed that powerhouse..... I do not have enough of a need for the attachments that a X7xx can use, so as much as I tried, could not justify the cost.

I would think that around the Atlanta area, (Very hilly) the X5's and X7's would be popular. I am sure that they are available.

/ X700 Series Unavailable in the South? #3  
They are popular in NC. I personally have had 3 X4/500 series (now the 700 series) and 2 300 series machines (now the X500). Your dealer may be saying they are not popular in his corner of the south. It is true that most people looking at the X748, for example, will instead look strongly at a 1023 or 1026 due to their versatility. I like those machines too and understand why they do it, but there is NO small tractor that mows and operates like an X700 series machine; they are outstanding and I have never had an ounce of trouble out of any of those that I have had, nor has anyone else I personally know. I currently have a 2320 with a MMM and I like it, but it does not cut as well as my x595 did (now 748). I have also found when the terrain is hilly and irregular the X series mowers do not lose much time to a similar width ZTR mowing and can do other things. For the commercial mower minutes add up, but for most of us 10 minutes per acre is not going to be life or death. I do not know if NC is in your travel realm, but if you PM me, I would connect you with a dealer I know has both in stock (though I am not sure if he has a diesel right now). I know he has a 720 and a 500 and 540 on the floor as of two days ago and may have more in the back that you could potentially actually look at. If he cannot help you he may be able to connect you with a dealer in your area that can. No pressure, only if that would be helpful.

John M

/ X700 Series Unavailable in the South? #4  
Also, now is potentially a good time to buy if you can find one. The new, renumbered X series are coming out in short months and the ones around may be had for a good deal. My understanding from this forum and from other information is that the mower decks and aesthetics will be some different but nothing earth shattering that would necessarily make you want to wait. Also we are approaching the end of the current mowing season. Georgia has about 3-4 weeks longer than where I live, but closing it out all-the same.

John M

/ X700 Series Unavailable in the South? #5  
I had a cherry used X748 trade in we took in this summer, low hours,
pristine condition, and i took a call from a gentleman that wanted it,
he was from Seattle. (I am in NY). He was SERIOUS and wanted freight
quotes!
i was able to sell it locally quite quickly though, so it didn't ever make the
trip out west, but we sell tons of 700's up here, gas/diesel 2 and 4wd, even
with the new 1000 cuts out. They are a great machine.

/ X700 Series Unavailable in the South? #6  
I'm interested in seeing an X700 series tractor, especially a diesel model, in the Atlanta area. But, I can't seem to find a single dealer that stocks them. There are lots of Deere dealers around, but the biggest Deere lawn tractor I've been able to find is the X300. In contrast, almost every dealer seems to have the 1023E and 1026R in stock.

Today, a local dealer told me that the X500 and X700 series aren't very popular in the South. I can confirm that it seems that most of the dealers I've found through eBay seem to be located in the northern half of the country.

Why is that? Is there some special reason that X500 and X700 tractors might not sell well in the South?

What am I missing here?

Thanks.

Matt

I asked the store manager at our local JD dealer the same question and why they only had one X740 in stock. The local store manager for this multiple store dealership originally came from Indiana. He said the main reason there are few to none in the South is because of snow. The larger garden tractors are used extensively in the North to plow snow on the larger home sites with long driveways.

Bill

/ X700 Series Unavailable in the South? #7  
I am from the Eastern Shore of Maryland with no hills but I wanted a X720 because I have lots of woods and I needed a tractor with a strong transaxle. The local JD dealer told me that they don't stock them because the 11 associated dealerships have only sold 3 of them the entire year. He had to order mine from the factory. I looked at buying a used one from Roeder in Iowa, low hours and they include shipping. My local dealership gave me a great deal on a new one and I love my x720. Best tractor that I ever owned, so far!

/ X700 Series Unavailable in the South? #8  
I am from the Eastern Shore of Maryland with no hills but I wanted a X720 because I have lots of woods and I needed a tractor with a strong transaxle. The local JD dealer told me that they don't stock them because the 11 associated dealerships have only sold 3 of them the entire year. He had to order mine from the factory. I looked at buying a used one from Roeder in Iowa, low hours and they include shipping. My local dealership gave me a great deal on a new one and I love my x720. Best tractor that I ever owned, so far!

They are great to deal with and have hundreds of low hour machines. It is true the Deere factory employees get a deal and lots of them trade every year.

PS: i believe their web site is lawnpower.com

/ X700 Series Unavailable in the South? #9  
Most Deere Dealer are steering customers towards the 1023 and 1026 when they ask about the seven series. Dealers I have talked to feel you get more bang for you dollar, have more options and features as standard on a 1023 or 1026 that cost extra on a 700 series. The 1023 or 1026 is quite an impressive unit for home owner use. So are the Kubota BX and Mahindra Max units. You can equip one with a mower, mid or rear, snow blower, snow blade, front loader, pallet forks, backhoe, three point PTO driven sprayer, three point PTO driven fertilizer distributor, scrape blade, box scraper, landscape rake. The list of tools and equipment available to use in maintaining a home goes on and on.

/ X700 Series Unavailable in the South? #10  
I agree that one can get a more versatile machine in the 1023/1026 than with an x 700, but they are not an x 700. The x series premium tractors fill a unique niche that cannot be duplicated by a sub compact. For those with tasks primarily such as mowing and snow removal, an x series is tough to beat. I really like my 2320, but for moving snow or mowing in particular I do not like it as well as my former x 595. It doe do other things quite well though.

John M