X700 series

/ X700 series
Thanks I was thinking along the lines of a x749 which gives me AWD and AWS, but are there any problems or issues with AWD such as expensive repairs?

/ X700 series
Maybe just a x748

/ X700 series #13  
Thanks I was thinking along the lines of a x749 which gives me AWD and AWS, but are there any problems or issues with AWD such as expensive repairs?

As I mentioned before, with both the X749 AND the X748, what concerns me is the full time AWD. There is no disengaging it, ever.

Each front wheel is controlled by it's own small hydraulic valve. It automatically adjusts wheel speeds in the turns, so it doesn't scrub. The problem I see, is down the road, if these valves ever become out of sync, or gummed up, or just plain fail, you would have to basically rip apart the entire axle to fix the problem. I have no idea of the real cost of this, but if I had to guess, I wouldn't be surprised if it would cost a guy $800 or close to it. Shop labor is crazy nowadays, and anything John Deere costs way more then it is worth, because its John Deere. Those control valves for each wheel are likely $300 a piece.

Now, is it common? I have only read one thread about someone having problems with there front tires scrubbing. Out of the hundreds and hundreds I have read about X748's (I was previously going to get one, so I did the research, now I am going with the X540 or the X740) I have only seen one thread pertaining to any trouble with the AWD system.

However, that doesn't mean there are no problems. As with anything, there could be a mass of unreported problems, not ever X748 owner is on a tractor forum or posts there issues.

Personally, for me, I would choose an X740, and have no worries about front wheel motors, valves, or rear steering.

Your needs differ greatly from mine, as I have no hills to contend with, my yard is just a bunch of flat ground. Maybe your local dealer could bring out a few test units so you can try them out on your property, and then you know for sure what's right for you before you sign on the dotted line.

/ X700 series #14  
I tried out an x748 and an x749 on hills and the x749 is hands down the winner. I have the x749 with cat 1 3ph and 540 rear pto very satisfied with it.

Last couple of days I have been pushing snow with a rear blade, being able to look over your shoulder and steer the rear end around is much more intuitive than you might realize having never done this. In short it did a great job clearing snow in some tight areas. Same thing is true when driving either forward or backwards through the trees, the 4ws is a great feature.

When you compare the x748 and the x749 the 4ws doesn't add much in the way of complexity. You really should test drive one on your slopes to see for yourself.

About the 4x4 vs 4x2, if you are coming down a slope with the rear wheels getting light you will appreciate having the 4x4, for engine braking on the fromt wheels. This is true of most tractors on slopes.

About traction with the x749, I had a problem when it was new not being able to start. So I was needing to get it loaded on the trailer to take back to the dealer. My 4520 was a few feet away so my helper and I tied onto the mower and I disconnected the tranny release ( or so I thought) and proceeded to move the mower backwards about 30 ft in order to winch it up on the trailer ramps. It rolled back easily about 25 ft and then I spun the tires on the 4520. The tow lever on the 749 had reingaged without my being aware of it at the time. I had to engage the 4x4 on the 4520 to drag the mower back the last 4 or 5 ft. My 4520 cab tractor has full rear wheel weights and six front weights so it is around 5500lbs. Both the tractor and the mower were on gravel hard packed. No one was sitting on the mower either. This indicates to me that the little x749 has a lot of traction.

FWIW, no I don't recommend dragging any equipment around backwards with the transmission engaged,

/ X700 series #15  
there are quite a few X748/595 near me ... they are awesome on hills and no one has had any problems .. one has the new hydraulic AWD and seems to go just as well, the HDAP tires are the ones to get for hilly terrain.

/ X700 series #16  
willi67,
I agree the hdap tires are great, very satisfied with them.

/ X700 series #17  
Ok so my next question, are these AWS tractors as durable as standard tractors? Any one have any problems with them?

More moving parts so naturally would not be a direct comparison.
One very obvious result of AWS is the quick turn-around and cornering when mowing grass. Mowing time vs standard is surprisingly shorter.

Also, backing a trailer is much improved over standard.
In addition, parking the tractor in a tight spot is possible where standard is often impossible. The AWS will in effect crab-leg sideways if you can visualize that.

Makes no difference to me what you get, but some who haven't experienced AWS, just don't know what all they can do. As said, I'd hate to go back to standard.

/ X700 series #18  
I have both a 455 with AWS & a X744 with AWS. The 455 has a 60" deck with the Hydrolic Dump MCS on the back, while the 2007 Deere X744 AWS has a 48" deck on it. While I do also have a 2305 as part of my lawn buisness, I mostly blow snow and cut some grass with the 2305, But it won't turn on a dime like the AWS mowers. Yes, the 2305 does turn short for having 4X4, and works well cutting in open areas but the AWS really shines well for cutting in tight spaces and manuvering around objects and cutting close to objects while cutting down on triming time.

Now, with the Hydrolic Dump MCS on my 455 with AWS & 60" deck, I would not want to put the Hydrolic MCS system on a 2ws mower for my applications any way. I know, a 2ws 455 will turn short, but with the AWS & bagger, it really allows me to manvour around trees and tight cornors with ease with the MCS on the back. In fact, I leave the MCS system on the 455 AWS all the time for collecting clippings.

2WD has its advantages as well, I really like blowing snow with my Deere 2305 with 4X4, and might put a loader on it in a year or two. I also like the ROPS bar for cutting on roadsides and warning lights are a big plus indeed.

Thus said, getting back to the X700 series in its self, whether you get a 2WS or 4WS model, the 700 series are very nice to run. I really like the twin petal foot petals for the hydro transmission, a lot nicer then on the 455( my opnion only). Very easy to service, and really like the bright headlights and rear worklights on the X700 series. The Yanmar Diesel is bulletproof and a very reliable engine, if you can afford it: Go with the Diesel vs the gas engine. I will never go back to another gas mower again.

Jason B

/ X700 series #19  
Man I can't wait to get a X740.

I think I have pretty well decided to go with the X740 over the X540. Yes, it is thousands of dollars more, but I can't get over how nice it is to drive over decks, instead of sliding them out sideways. Yes there is wheels, but I still find it hard on the back and the knees to get down there and drag out a steel deck.

Not to mention, from all the pictures I have seen, the 7-Iron deck does a much better job of making the grass clippings finer, and therefore less clumping.

/ X700 series
JDTank said:
Man I can't wait to get a X740.

I think I have pretty well decided to go with the X740 over the X540. Yes, it is thousands of dollars more, but I can't get over how nice it is to drive over decks, instead of sliding them out sideways. Yes there is wheels, but I still find it hard on the back and the knees to get down there and drag out a steel deck.

Not to mention, from all the pictures I have seen, the 7-Iron deck does a much better job of making the grass clippings finer, and therefore less clumping.

Nice decision, you won't regret it