X700 series

/ X700 series #21  
howdy zlock
got some pics of a friends X595 mowing a boggy gulley ... in 2WD it slid around a bit like you say ... in 4WD it zooms around no problems. I would choose 4WD/AWD ahead of AWS, or both (and HDAP tires). I think I read that the new AWD system has a tighter turning circle compared to the previous X748? I got a BX2360 and it will go across a 25 degree slope but no match for the JD.

Attachments

• Deere 001.JPG
    Deere 001.JPG
    306.4 KB · Views: 339
  • Deere 010.JPG
    Deere 010.JPG
    265.7 KB · Views: 395
   / X700 series
Yes those are the kind of hills I'm talking about, nearly 10 acres of that

/ X700 series #23  
howdy zlock
got some pics of a friends X595 mowing a boggy gulley ... in 2WD it slid around a bit like you say ... in 4WD it zooms around no problems. I would choose 4WD/AWD ahead of AWS, or both (and HDAP tires). I think I read that the new AWD system has a tighter turning circle compared to the previous X748? I got a BX2360 and it will go across a 25 degree slope but no match for the JD.

Wow, that's risky business! In all honesty, I wouldn't mow that steep grade if it was mine, I would let it grow over. Imagine if that thing ever loses traction and get's away on you, jump off and hope you don't roll into a tree!

/ X700 series
I may sound like a bit of a dare devil, but I've mowed across slopes instead up and down on my trusty old 445 like shown in the second picture

/ X700 series #26  
An X748 AWD mows a steeper hill next to my place, up and down, sideways, will try to get some pics.
One thing I found that limits my BX2360 is that the turf tires get clogged up with mud and slide, the HDAP tires are better for hills.

/ X700 series #27  
Yea I think when I order my X740 I am going to specify HDAP tires, considering the places I will pulling the utility carts around will be muddy and bumpy.

/ X700 series #28  
Before I would mow on those hills I would have plenty of wheel weights and the tires loaded. Especially if you want to mow sideways on a steep hill. I don't know if it makes much of a difference, but it seems to with me it would. Another thought, I have a 62" mower deck and it sticks out to the side far enough where if the tractor starts tipping it would dig in and stabilize the tractor. I mow sideways on a 18-20 deg hill and a X740 tractor with weights seems planted very well and never lifted a tire, so the deck never had to stabilize, yet. I tried to get my wife to sit on the tractor and then pull up on the uphill side to check it out the tip-ability but she was to smart for me so I couldn't test it :laughing:

/ X700 series #29  
My own lawns are almost level and can be cut with anything, some of my customers have some tough places to work. Living in the mountains as I do means lots of use for the x749.

/ X700 series #30  
I had a AWS X495. If you ever had one, you would not wonder why people like them so much. They are the best thing since sliced bread! If I did not need a compact utility tractor or could afford both I would have kept the X495. The linkage for the AWS is the same style of the ball joints as on the front axle. Yes, they can wear out just as everything mechanical can. No, there is not any problems with them and will likely last the life of the tractor. I wish when I bought the X495 there was a option for AWS and 4X4. There was not. Cannot offer any advise there. Good luck as all options are outstanding tractors.