Dealer XR4140 stalling

/ XR4140 stalling
Tractor has been at dealer 2 weeks.

GOOD MORNING DAVID,

I HAVE DRIVEN THE UNIT AND HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO DUPLICATE THE ISSUE. I HAVE ALSO STARTED AND LET RUN NUMEROUS TIMES WITH NO STALLING. I WILL RUN THE UNIT AT SOME POINT TODAY TO TRY AND GET IT TO REPEAT THE ISSUES YOU ARE HAVING.

THANKS, SHAWN

Not encouraging and confirms my biggest concern, being able to duplicate issue. I can’t believe it self healed on the 80 mile trailer ride.

/ XR4140 stalling #32  
Tractor has been at dealer 2 weeks.

GOOD MORNING DAVID,

I HAVE DRIVEN THE UNIT AND HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO DUPLICATE THE ISSUE. I HAVE ALSO STARTED AND LET RUN NUMEROUS TIMES WITH NO STALLING. I WILL RUN THE UNIT AT SOME POINT TODAY TO TRY AND GET IT TO REPEAT THE ISSUES YOU ARE HAVING.

THANKS, SHAWN

Not encouraging and confirms my biggest concern, being able to duplicate issue. I can’t believe it self healed on the 80 mile trailer ride.

Sounds like what I go through.

Had an issue with my ZTR stalling....turned out to be sediment in the fuel line that would of course back itself out of the way during diags and refills. Ended up disassembling the whole fuel system and cleaned the tank out too.

I am hoping you have a positive outcome, soonest.

/ XR4140 stalling
Thanks, Mike
Had that problem with the BX, so naturally I thought maybe same with the LS. I really think I purged that tank and lines well.
While I have been concerned that issue is not duplicatable, actually it is in sense it happens every time I use the tractor, just I’m not sure the why. Thinking it maybe need a ‘load’.

/ XR4140 stalling
Still no joy. Am emailing below to the Dealer tech and LS tech. Hopefully it will trigger a solution. Frustrating.

“Shawn,
If you would indulge me a bit.
Although you have not been able to replicate the stalling issue I am 99.99% confident that after we have given up and I made another 160 mile trip to retrieve the issue will occur my very first use. Confident because it has my every use last couple of months. This being true, I guess the issue can be replicated. Wonder if being under load is somehow a factor? If this is the situation is there a way I can be more helpful?

Perhaps, if I review the situation, your reading might trigger a thought, solution. I say this because I just had it happen with a friend. He had a problem, asked my advise, I made most obvious, simple suggestion and he was stunned it had never occurred to him as he was focused on a more complicated solution. His wife laughed, but in a good way.

I am ccing the LS factory tech and perhaps you might choose to share with anyone you might feel helpful.

My very limited diesel experience says there are 2 ways to stop the engine, fuel or air. I have done both manually on another unit so a bit familiar in that the stoppage sounds abit different. In this case, I suspect fuel starvation, but could be wrong. I believe that my tractor is designed to quit via fuel control, electrically triggered.

So at this point:
1. There are no computer codes, nothing to indicate a problem that triggers a sensor. Would mean bad sensor or just a problem not monitored by a sensor? Is there a way to monitor for next event?
2. All the wiring harnesses pass inspection, no shorts, open circuits, bare/broken/loose wires, bad grounds, corroded contacts, etc. battery is good, assume alternator is functioning. Relays? ECU or ECU harness?
3. Fuel delivery appears ok or at least not a permanent issue. Fuel filter has been changed, fuel filter sensor has been replaced. Fuel tank and hoses purged, new fuel cap, fresh fuel. What I haven’t done is any check of fuel pump or other mechanical part aspects of fuel delivery. I have experienced a pump failure on a diesel generator, but it was total, not intermittent. Replaced pump and fixed. There is now a fuel level indicator error, reads Empty. I did NOT remove the tank for cleaning, simply flushed several times, last time with plain diesel to be sure no moisture. I also blew the hoses with air. I suppose there could be a foreign object the causes a temporary blockage. It was suggested to run via external tank but haven’t attempted yet. I initially suspected moisture/foreign matter as I had experienced same with our BX2380. Changing the filters, adding a separator filter, purging tank, fresh fuel and no longer a problem.
4. Air cleaner appears unobstructed.
5. I sometimes think the stalling is temperature related in that unit has to run some time and I think under work load. But for it to restart immediately would suggest that whatever it is cools quickly. The length of time before next stall also appears to be related to time between stall and restart. The longer I wait, the longer it runs, but only minutes before next stall, but likely within 100 feet, so multiple stalls getting back to tractorshed.
6. ESC main switch may not be operating properly. This switch ON and adjusted for PTO speed is my usual mode when using flail. Can this be bypassed?
7. The Hand throttle lever is not responsive when tractor reduces to “limp mode, 1500 rpm” before stalling. This is not the limp mode as reported by code, just a falling off of rpms. It may be responsive after restart. A fellow tractor forum member had his replaced by Dealer to solve stalling problem. I don’t know how to test.
8. Dash indicator lights go into repetitive blinking mode when stall occurs.
9. Stalling instances have occurred with 5 ft flail mower installed. Initial stall usually with mower engaged, but subsequent stalls with mower disengaged.

So, my hope you get to observe issue and solve soon, especially if a warranty issue. If not then I need a better approach for if it comes home as is.”