Dealer XR4140 stalling

/ XR4140 stalling
Yea, could come to that. Originally thinking maybe float got stuck being empty. I didn’t put anything other than air and liquid into tank. Might try my bore scope camera first.

Still curious what else sets off the alarm as that could be related, or not.

/ XR4140 stalling
Well, it isn’t the fuel cap. Ran about 30 minutes before stalling. Carefully removed fuel cap, but no sound of air. Restarted and then shortly went to the 1400 rpm mode, no error code. Stalled again.
Restarted and drove back to house in limp (1400) mode. While stopped at gate engine revved to normal, drove about 25 ft and stalled. Stalled twice more on way back to shed.

Got LS tech email address. Awaiting response.

/ XR4140 stalling #23  
You stated previously that you had dash lights going crazy and other weird electrical problems. This points to bad grounds. If you have already checked all the grounds on the machine, there could still be a bad ground internally in a harness. Several ground wires are spliced together somewhere inside the harnesses, and a bad splice will cause something to have a bad ground. This does not always cause fault codes. I have fixed two LS tractors that had this issue, one was an XR4100 series. After verifying the battery ground cable and all other chassis grounds were good, I took off the dash cowling around the instrument cluster and checked the main black ground wire in a large harness connector between the instrument cluster and firewall. With an ohm meter, I checked the resistance between this ground wire and the battery ground by piercing the insulation. Instead of having zero ohms resistance, I had about 10 ohms and this was with key off and no electrical load. I stripped some insulation off this wire and soldered another wire to it and connected the other end to a bolt on the frame that was a known good ground. All the weird electrical gremlins went away for good without replacing any harnesses. Just something to keep in mind, good luck.

/ XR4140 stalling
You stated previously that you had dash lights going crazy and other weird electrical problems. This points to bad grounds. If you have already checked all the grounds on the machine, there could still be a bad ground internally in a harness. Several ground wires are spliced together somewhere inside the harnesses, and a bad splice will cause something to have a bad ground. This does not always cause fault codes. I have fixed two LS tractors that had this issue, one was an XR4100 series. After verifying the battery ground cable and all other chassis grounds were good, I took off the dash cowling around the instrument cluster and checked the main black ground wire in a large harness connector between the instrument cluster and firewall. With an ohm meter, I checked the resistance between this ground wire and the battery ground by piercing the insulation. Instead of having zero ohms resistance, I had about 10 ohms and this was with key off and no electrical load. I stripped some insulation off this wire and soldered another wire to it and connected the other end to a bolt on the frame that was a known good ground. All the weird electrical gremlins went away for good without replacing any harnesses. Just something to keep in mind, good luck.
Thanks, good info.
by any chance is there a diagram of all the ground locations? I’ll be honest, tracking down wiring/electrical issues not a strength of mine.

/ XR4140 stalling #25  
Thanks, good info.
by any chance is there a diagram of all the ground locations? I’ll be honest, tracking down wiring/electrical issues not a strength of mine.
I'm not aware of a diagram showing ground locations. A wiring schematic is hard to find also. Dealers don't get printed service manuals either, they can only get online service manuals on the LS dealer portal. These online schematics have very tiny print and are very hard to read. If you try to enlarge them, they get blurry and if you can print them, they are even more blurry. A schematic won't show where the internal harness splices are located anyway. The external grounds are on the negative battery cable, on the firewall behind the engine, on the engine block, under the dash, and on cab models under the right control console, under the roof, and on the A/C compressor mounting bracket. All my external grounds were good but it was the ground wire splices inside the harness that were bad. No way to know where in the harness unless you cut the outer covering off the harness to expose the wires which would be ridiculous and impractical. Thats why I took a shortcut and tapped into the ground wire under the dash and added my own extra ground after finding high resistance between that ground wire and actual battery ground.

/ XR4140 stalling #26  
I had issues very similar to the ones you describe on my XR4145. I cleaned and retightened all of the grounds, changed the fuel filter, bled the system, etc. I got no lights or codes either until it went into limp mode several times. It stalled on me several times when I was trying to limp it back to the barn. The next day, it seemed to be fine, so I resuming mowing. That lasted about 15 minutes, and started having issues again. Took it to the dealer (luckily I was not quite at the end of my warranty), and it ended up being a bad hand throttle on the dash. It wasn't communicating properly with the ECU, so the ECU didn't know what the engine speed was, and put it in limp mode. They are available from Messicks as a New Holland part. I think I looked mine up and it was ~$250 or so. Haven't had any issues since.

/ XR4140 stalling
Thanks, guys
I do have the digital manual, got it from dealer when purchased. Honestly it can be as frustrating as helpful at times.

I read somewhere else about possible throttle issue. No info on how to test.
A difference yesterday. Previously was using the ESC switch as I normal do when mowing. Yesterday I was using just hand throttle.

Still awaiting tech reply from LS.

/ XR4140 stalling
Abit of followup

Didn’t make much headway poking around. Eventually did hear from LS tech whose final recommendation was they needed the computer codes, so take to Dealer.
Dropped off at dealer 80 miles away. They have only had LS a couple years. service tech told me most jobs were a learning experience. Hoping I get diagnosis soon.

/ XR4140 stalling #29  
Did you say the electrical system was going crazy?? I would
check all wires attached to the brain something must be shorting
out to make all the lights flash etc

willy

/ XR4140 stalling
I only checked that it was seated, didn’t attempt to follow any leads or remove to check for corrosion. Would expect any issue to be found when tech does a wire test.