XR4150H Engine Failure

/ XR4150H Engine Failure #1  

TexasRust

Tractor
LS XR4150H, Kubota L245DT
On Jan 2 I heard a knocking noise that no one wants to hear from their engine. Got a brief squeal as I got it on the trailer. The shop confirmed spun bearing in number three cylinder a couple of days later. Still waiting for further disassembly to try to determine why #3 spun. The only oddity so far is that the top of #3 piston and the combustion chamber are clean. Virtually spotless compared to #1 and #2.
Bought the tractor Oct 2016, but didn't run many on it initially. Still only put about 35 hours a month on it. The total hours are 1140, about 60 out from the next oil and filter change.
I've been using 15W40 in the LS and my 1978 L235DT for a number of years and the dealer confirmed that 15W40 is what they use. I've been using a WIX 51342 filter for the last 3-4 oil changes.
So anyone know of any other spun bearings on this l3c19-t engine? I'm aware that it is also used in New Holland and Case tractors, but I've not been able to a smoking gun that would led me to belief there is an underlying problem with this engine. Especially in reference to spun bearings or lubrication problems.
I'll add additional information as I get it. The cylinder walls look good, but I'm very interested in seeing the other rod bearing and the thrust bearing on the rear main.

/ XR4150H Engine Failure #2  
No these engines don't see many failures except EGR valves and crank sensors and maybe a water pump occasionally. A bad injector a couple times. Some regen issues, 3 EGR coolers and a couple injection pumps. Only internal issue I've seen was a camshaft gear that came loose. This info came from a large dealer that sells 500 tractors a year. They only use synthetic 10W30 oil CK4 for emission engines. Depending on how long ago this tractor was sold, there is a 6 year powertrain warranty that covers internal engine parts.

/ XR4150H Engine Failure #3  
Just saw that you bought it Oct 2016 so ignore the warranty part of the previous post.

/ XR4150H Engine Failure #4  
Yeah, thats weird. And its the first time I've heard of a spun bearing in this engine.

Typically, to get a spun bearing, many things need to go wrong inside the engine. These include high operating loads, excessive heat and a loss of lubrication at the same time. Think running a tiller in hard ground, engine at high rpm, and your engine is running very low on oil or your filter suddenly plugs up, oil pump dies, etc. You lose oil pressure, heat builds rapidly, and that little film of oil between the connecting rod and the crank shaft disappears leaving a hot metal on metal situation under high stress. This is one of the worst things to happen to an engine!

In this situation, a clean combustion chamber relative to the others, is odd. The fact that this happened on an engine with regular oil changes with proper oil and filters is odd. And this happened on an engine that has high (but not excessive) hours with 'normal' operation is odd. I put normal in quotes because with a clean combustion chamber, thats not necessarily normal, and I hope to understand why with future posts from the OP on the outcome.

Fixes are not going to be cheap! New bearing and likely new crank shaft. The crank journal can be resurfaced and the connecting rod bearing matched to fit the smaller diameter of the journal. But its probably best to simply replace the bearing (and possibly the rod if the original is damaged) and the crank. Might as well do all 3 while your there type of thing.

This is an important reminder to do regular service of your machines. Not saying that this tractor was not properly maintained, but it does compound and remind us to make sure that we use the proper oils, filters, coolants, etc on a regular basis.

I wish the OP good luck and please keep us updated! Not the best way to join TBN, but welcome anyway.

/ XR4150H Engine Failure
Thanks for the inputs. Dealer said the oil pump appeared to be functioning and the coolant temperature was normal when I shut it down. Cheap it is not. With labor being what it is, a short block is the recommendation.
As I indicated initially, I'm very interested in seeing the other bearings surfaces. Are they worn? It's hot and dusty in Texas. Are the service intervals adequate for the environment?

/ XR4150H Engine Failure #6  
I get a squeal when I start up my tractor in the cold. Makes me extremely nervous. I had a knock a while back but it was my crank shaft position sensor. Threw codes and went into limp mode or shut down I forgot which. I replaced the sensor and everything back to normal.

/ XR4150H Engine Failure
Most squeals come from the belts. Hard starting may come when the rod bearing starts to fail. My tractor would start, but it would pull the voltage down so far that the dash would reset. Thought I had a starter going, but it mat have been caused by extra friction from the rod bearing.

/ XR4150H Engine Failure #8  
My tractor would start, but it would pull the voltage down so far that the dash would reset.
Is that what causes the dash to reset? Mine does that on occasion, it starts just fine, and then the dash will blank out and reset. I've been trying to catch it on video, but it only happens once in a while.

/ XR4150H Engine Failure
There may be more than one cause for the dash reset, but mine was caused by the battery voltage being pulled down too low when starting. I had checked the battery and the alternator. The next step was the starter, but the spun bearing occurred first. In hind sight, I'm thinking the friction from the failing bearing might be the cause. If it still happens after rebuilding with a new short block, I'll be back to the starter.

/ XR4150H Engine Failure #10  
A clean piston/combustion chamber is caused by oil consumption. The cylinder walls get their lubricant from rod bearing oil throw off.
My thought is the bearing had excessive clearance for sometime which threw excessive lubricant up the cylinder which cleaned the combustion chamber before it catastrophically failed.
My 2cents
90cummins