XR4150H Engine Failure

/ XR4150H Engine Failure #31  
I hope this works out. I don't think I would ever trust a dealer to rebuild an engine this day and age. Even 40 years ago, everybody always knew to take an engine to specific machine shops where they had the reputation for doing things right and nowhere else.
Today's mechanics are just parts changers. They have no troubleshooting skills. Even if the dealer was putting in a complete crate motor, they would mess something up.
Keep after them until it is "right".

/ XR4150H Engine Failure
Contacted the dealer this morning and described what I'm hearing to the management level. After listening to the engine for themselves, they agree that one cylinder isn't firing. Their ordering another injector to replace the "free" one they pulled from a warranty engine.
This is pretty frustrating. Why can't people do their jobs without having their arms twisted.

/ XR4150H Engine Failure #33  
There is a 90 day warranty on either the short block or a complete engine. If they would have given a couple of years of warranty on the full engine, it might have been worth the extra money.
TR,
Sorry to hear about all your troubles (the entire forum makes me worry every time I look at my low-hour XG3140, but so far so good for me.
I'm posting because your issues remind me of non-LS maintenance issues I've had going back to the early '90s with more than one brand of vehicle, but an '87 F150 and a '98 Windstar particularly.
My view as a result has become that techs these days aren't trained to think past the codes, and if the codes are inadequate or misleading, the diagnosis will likely lead to blind parts replacement that the Navy calls easter-egging: irrelevant in a :cost-no-object, taxpayer pays the bills, DoD hides the waste world,' but painful to those of us who pay as we go.
Good luck!

/ XR4150H Engine Failure #34  
There are injector tests that the dealer can do with the laptop computer service tool if they have it. All the larger dealers have it, some small dealers do not. There is also an air purge procedure that can be done with the service tool to force air from the fuel rail. The engine can run fine at higher rpm's, but have a rough idle or surging at idle, and the air purge will sometimes fix it. If they didn't do the purge after having the fuel system apart to replace the injectors, they should do it. It was a common problem on the XR4100 series for the engine wire harness to rub through against a bracket where it goes over the top of the radiator. It is the harness that goes from the ECU to the injectors and sensors. Wires rubbed there will cause fault codes and rough running. They would have had to move that harness to take the engine out. Just my opinion, but I would think a shop could resurface the crankshaft and put in new bearings and connecting rod cheaper than putting in a short block, but I'm old school (diesel mechanic for 40 years) so labor rates these days maybe don't make that cost effective.