Yanmar in Indiana?

/ Yanmar in Indiana? #11  
Ernie, I can certainly understand that, I've been in the same situation, spending a lot of time, phone calls, etc. and still not make the sale. However, I continued to do it and some of those folks later became customers. I certainly have no problem with you, or any other business, doing as you say; that's your right, but I wonder how many of the folks you turned down would have been good customers in the future if you'd helped them the first time. Just two sides of the coin.

/ Yanmar in Indiana? #12  
I saw two of these for sale yesterday in Wesport Indiana. One was a 1400 something and a 15 something.
They are about 5 miles from the house. I can get model numbers and phone numbers if you like.
Wasn't a dealer, just a lot.

/ Yanmar in Indiana? #13  
Bird:
I have a box of yanmar parts that I have ordered for non customers (telephone orders) sitting here waiting to be picked up 2 yrs. ago.
Yes I did get a small down payment, but they are parts that I dont have a need for.
Ask Leonard Sheaffer about going to the ends of the earth for a part just to have the customer say the same things I have posted earlier. (very frustrating) not to mention your time and phone charges.
I still sell to non customers,but I dont go to the trouble I use to.
Life is to short,& good!! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif
Ernie

/ Yanmar in Indiana? #14  
Frustrating? Sure is. Worth it? I don't know; guess it just depends. I certainly understand, and as I said, I don't blame anyone; just wonder which way is best in the long run. I've never ordered anything and not taken it and paid for it, but I have been the guy calling for a price and then decide not to order it, and of course, the guy who helped me is the guy who's going to get my business in the future.

/ Yanmar in Indiana? #15  
I really don't know what the problem is. If you buy from Little Miami, he will take care of you, with parts and service and all. So what is the problem??? If he doesn't want to hunt down parts for someone else, what do you care, he will you? Are you looking out for someone else or yourself? The first place I go for parts is where I bought my tractor. Then of course if he couldn't get them, I would go somewhere else. I haven't asked my dealer if he would get parts for someone else. I really don't care, he takes care of me.

/ Yanmar in Indiana? #16  
I wouldn't say i have a problem with their policies and honestly , I don't care. I just can't understand how someone who is in business can blow off so many people. When I first got my yanmar I started searching the internet for good websites, and when I came across some of them that won't sell parts to others I couldn't believe it. In all my years in the auto industry, as well as many other areas of different businesses, I have NEVER heard someone say "no" because of the reason I see on these various websites.

Take one hundred Yanmars, how many of them did dealer X sell? Ten or twenty,,, How can the dealer slam the door on the 80 or 90 people looking for parts?? Thats a lot of potential future business and possibly a ton of added income for the dealer, down the drain. Are they saying a person has to spend 4 or 5 grand to be considered a "customer"? If all Yanmar dealers were this way, I'd sell mine in a second and look at another brand . There is a simple way not to get burned when ordering parts,, pay in full up front. It's not an uncommon thing, Most auto dealers and parts stores do this on special order parts.

This discussion could go on forever , I suppose. They have their thoughts, I have mine. I'm done.

Mike

/ Yanmar in Indiana? #17  
I do have an e2304 right now. I also have a C174, (2) E2004, and an E2302.

Thanks,
Bruce

/ Yanmar in Indiana? #18  
Ernie,

I have had lots of compliments on your parts network. I reccommend Ernie for all your parts needs /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Bruce

/ Yanmar in Indiana? #19  
The dealer I bought my Yanmar from has went out of business. Was a local dealer here in town. He got tired of the town politics and quit. Found Len on the Yanmar Yahoo site and he has been good to work with.

If I ever run across a dealer who won't sell me parts because he didn't sell me the machine, I GUARANTEE, He will NEVER see any of my money for anything he sells.

/ Yanmar in Indiana? #20  
I think there are a couple components to this issue.
A. A Yanmar dealer is required to sell parts for US model Yanmars. They are not supposed to order parts from Yanmar for Japanese model Yanmars or their dealership can be terminated. This makes obtaining Yanmar parts a little harder.
B. Sourcing parts is very time consuming. some are easy to find from US sources. Other parts are not so obvious. I spend a lot of time comparing parts in US & Japanese parts to determine if the are the same. The more I do it the easier it gets. Each time I find a cross I add it to my data base, so next time I don't have to do the research. At times I'm able to determine that some different parts than the originals will work . This has helped repair some FWD & PTOs on tractors in which new & used parts weren't avaliable.
It is also time consuming to get the parts from Japan if they aren't available in the US.
As mentioned earlier, there is alot of chasing that doesn't result in a sale. I don't mind that if it is a part that is easy to find in the US. But if it is a hard to find part, I wish the customer would inform me that other people are also looking for it, so we all wouldn't have to waste our time.
C In many cases it isn't economically feasible to handle parts. I know some large dealers that have hired a parts man to handle all the requests, but it hasn't paid.
It also requires parts books. I have over 65 Yanmar parts books & another 100 other brand books. I don't have books for all models. This is a significant investment.
D. It boils down to what do you want to do? How big do you want to get? Personnally, I don't want to have 10 employees & sell 1000 tractors a year, but if other people do , that's fine with me.
In conclusion. I see nothing wrong with dealers selling parts to only their customers. I also see nothing wrong with dealers stating up front that they don't handle parts at all, as long as they give the customer a reputable parts source to go to. Not this" go to JD, they have all the parts for Yanmar". If there was company support available like for JD or Agco dealers , I'd say every one should supply parts, but that isn't the case. There is no support at all. Even opposition from some of the company parts suppliers.
Note: I do sell parts to anyone.