Yesterday. Would you buy and EV?

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Yesterday. Would you buy and EV? #2  
Sure. Weight is the friend of any tractor so if someone puts a battery in one that will last me 12 hours of PTO operation I'm all for it. Just think of how nice it would be to not have to listen to the roar of an engine!

/ Yesterday. Would you buy and EV? #4  
electric would also be required to have enough output for a hydraulic pump big enough reservoir & psi to operate a loader and any hydraulic accessories like rakes, tedders, or any hydraulic implements.

I don’t think the tractor motor/driveline is any big breakthrough, its the hydraulics.

Last edited:
   / Yesterday. Would you buy and EV? #5  
Sure. Weight is the friend of any tractor so if someone puts a battery in one that will last me 12 hours of PTO operation I'm all for it. Just think of how nice it would be to not have to listen to the roar of an engine!
Here ya go. https://solectrac.com/

/ Yesterday. Would you buy and EV? #6  
I would if it had a lifetime battery warranty. My current machine is 30 ish years old and the engine chugs right along with out any noticeable degradation.
Good luck finding a lifetime battery warranty!

/ Yesterday. Would you buy and EV?
Good luck finding a lifetime battery warranty!
Battery degradation is what keeps me away from EV and electric stuff. Along with right to repair. And I'm an electrical engineer and been doing electrical repair for 10+ years

If I could get an ABB drive and baldor motor in a car, with a battery with a good long warranty, I'd be game. And it has to be cheap, under $30k

/ Yesterday. Would you buy and EV? #8  
Locomotives have been EV for a long time now. Nothing new about big motors moving big loads. Of course they generate their electricity locally using diesel . . .

/ Yesterday. Would you buy and EV? #9  
No oil. No gas. No diesel. No spark plugs. No belts. No gearboxes. No driveshafts. YES! Would have to educate my wife who does nutsy things in automatic cars, which would be like an EV.

Would have to replace any PTO emplements for total elimination of driveshafts. The future ones will just have electric motors and just require connecting and disconnecting a power cable.

/ Yesterday. Would you buy and EV? #10  
Way more likely to get an all electric tractor and/or UTV than a car. My machinery never will need to leave my property. A charge, for me, would only need to last 4-6 hours maximum. For many, that would be more like 12-15.

If every tractor magically was EV tomorrow morning, the power grid would not be too bad off. Not so with autos.

The reality is that there are some things EV can do well. There are other things better done by ICE.

As long as it is free choice, let it be.

Status
Not open for further replies.