Yet Another Fence Question: Keeping in the dogs.

/ Yet Another Fence Question: Keeping in the dogs. #11  
My wife is a Terrier Breeder, we just built on 6 acres in the country with a kennel off the back of the house. So far we fenced in about 3/4 of an acre with 3 Rail Split rail, an then lined it with a steel wire fence. So far That works fine. We also have a Tritronics Collar system designed for 3 dogs. Our dogs are almost perfect off leash. I think people think these are cruel, but we never have to use anything but the lightest correction, and you can hardly feel it on your skin. I tried up to level 3 myself just to make sure of what the dogs might be exposed to. These collar systems really do work. Now all I need to do is the get Thatcher to stop charging the deer, He is about 22" tall , fast as lightning, wire fox terrier and he has no concept of size, he thinks he can take one of these guys down. He leaves the Squirrles alone.

Bruce

/ Yet Another Fence Question: Keeping in the dogs. #12  
We have six acres and we adopted a greyhound . I never thought there was a dog that I couldn't break from running, but the greyhound was my match. It seems since they are sight hounds that running after prey is just there thing. Well back to your question. We went through the same thinking process as you,but came up with the answer of invisible fence. I bought the system from invisible fence ,not an off-brand wal-mart version -installed it myself did four of our six acres ,laid all the wire with a self made sod slicer on the back of my kubota's three point. Total cost was approximately $800.00 for wire ,transmitter,Flags, and one receiving collar. The thing about invisible fenece is there are vast adjustments to the width of the field in which the dog is shocked, the dog receives an audible alert about three feet before they are shocked and there are vast adjustments to the strength of the shock because different breeds do or don't need the same amount of correction. They also are there to help, most instances they include one training session with your dog,and it only takes about one shock and your dog learns very quickly to stop at the audible signal. It was the best choice I have ever made. My neighbor upon seeing my results tied into my fence and did four acres of his own for his lab.
Don't be afraid it really works. And A second reason is that if someone is injured (Quadders) from running into your HT fence you are liable for there injuries.

/ Yet Another Fence Question: Keeping in the dogs.
KAZZ,

Its good to know that other people are "fencing" in such large areas. I'm pretty sure we will do the HT fence sense we want to limit the deer to the house site. The idea of having a electric fence also tickles my fancy just a bit as well.... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif It might tickle someone else....

I'm lucky in that I can let my current dog chase deer. If I let her run em for a bit I can whistle/call her and she will run right back to me. Not many dogs will do that. Or at least that I have had. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'm not worried about liability with the fence. If they are that far into the property they are criminals and there just is not much liability at that point. Plus the fence will be buried in the woods so its not like they can ride through anyway. The area to be fenced is buried in the woods and the only easy access is on a private road which is gated already. The only "open" side would face a clear cut that has been growing for 5-6 years. I don't think I could walk through that stuff much less get a ATV in that mess. Liability in this case is nonexistent thankfully.

Later,
Dan

/ Yet Another Fence Question: Keeping in the dogs. #14  
KAZZ, How did you make your sod slicer? I have about 5 acres that I would like to run the fence wire aound. Steve

/ Yet Another Fence Question: Keeping in the dogs. #15  
Dan,

You've received a lot of good information. I'll just throw in my two cents and be on my way.

About five years ago, for reasons that I won't go into now, I decided that I needed a fence to separate my dogs from the road.

I built a fence that is split rail with woven wire along the road frontage and treated posts with woven wire along the west line. I tied to an existing woven wire fence that my Dad built in the late fifties and effectively limited my dogs to about fifty acres of my farm. A fourteen foot fiberglas gate was placed across the driveway and two ten foot steel tube gates were installed to allow access to a cultivated field along the west side.

I learned a couple things along the way.

1) Dogs are amazing. They can go underneath a wire fence effortlessly if it is not tight to the ground. If there is not quite enough room to get under the fence, they can easily excavate the remaining few inches. In fact, it appears to me that they enjoy digging under a fence.

When I first installed the woven wire, I kept it a few inches off the ground. It didn't take me long to figure out that I needed to lower the wire to where it touches the ground.

2) Deer are amazing. They aren't even annoyed by the average fence. If I didn't know better, I'd say that deer have received special dispensation from the law of gravity. They clear a fence with the same effort that you or I would expend stepping over a crack in the sidewalk. I would not want to have to build a fence that has to contain both dogs and deer.

3) Driving fence staples into seasoned locust posts will teach you patience. Gloves will save a great deal of wear and tear on your fingers while you learn.

/ Yet Another Fence Question: Keeping in the dogs. #16  
Given your circumstances, the HT fencing seems like a good idea. You can space the wires pretty closely. If you set it up to be electrified, with the insulator tubes, you have the option of firing it up later with only the addition of a charger.

Most of my German Shephers will respect a 40 inch fence, but I've had dogs that will clear a six footer.

/ Yet Another Fence Question: Keeping in the dogs. #17  
Fire or cut grass are the best things I have found to rid an area of chiggers. I understand it is hard on ticks too. I burn about 20 acres a year in my planted pines.

/ Yet Another Fence Question: Keeping in the dogs. #18  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( KAZZ, How did you make your sod slicer? I have about 5 acres that I would like to run the fence wire aound. Steve )</font>

Ok, similar situation here and I would have liked to see a pic of KAZZ's 3-pt 'sod slicer'. Bringing the old thread back to ask if anybody else has got any design suggestions for a quick 'n easy homemade sod cutter/trencher to leave a clean, narrow trench for laying Radio Fence wire? I imagine I could rent some kind of commercial wire trencher/layer, but then, I do have a tractor now. That said, I don't really want to tear a jagged, several inch wide trench all around with some homemade trencher if at all possible. As a potential alternative, has anybody used or recommend Above Ground Radio Fence Installation? The wireless option is not workable for our 5+ acres. Ideas? Thanks.

/ Yet Another Fence Question: Keeping in the dogs. #19  
I fenced in about 2 acres 2 years ago. I slapped together a 3Pt contraption out of scrap steel that came to a vee at the bottom. lowered it and drive ... madd a slice about 6" deep about 1/2 inch wide. I'll check ... I think I still have it up by the shed ... if so I'll post a pic...Scozz

/ Yet Another Fence Question: Keeping in the dogs. #20  
"I'm not worried about liability with the fence. If they are that far into the property they are criminals and there just is not much liability at that point. "

You even owe trespassing criminals something. You are liable for certain things even if the person was trespassing such as to go swimming in your private fish pond. A fence in general decreases your liability because it shows the jury a clear intention to trespass, my agent recommended I fence early on and remove potential "attractive nuisances".

The first electric wire needs to be low in an effort keep out the coyotes which are prevelant pretty much nation wide.