Yet Another Fence Question: Keeping in the dogs.

/ Yet Another Fence Question: Keeping in the dogs. #31  
That dog would get a face of spray from me. I have no tolerance for a dog not contained. I walk Abbi all over the neighbor hood too, but I just hold her lease, she just trotts right next to me. SHe's better off lease than on. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Yet Another Fence Question: Keeping in the dogs. #32  
An inexpensive gas powered brush cutter (circular saw blade type) or edger works well. You only need a thin cut through the sod and once the wire is pushed down into the soil, the cut will "heal" itself. This is what I used near the house.
Another option (which thankfully involved a tractor) is to use a box blade with just one tooth in the down position. This acts like a subsoiler and has plenty of weight to cut through heavy soil and the occasional rock.
When I began installing the wire I was on the road alot, and had many higher priority projects. In other words...never came close to finishing. I think I still have a mile of wire somewhere in the garage. I granted my dog unrestricted free agent status and we are both happy about it (for better than ten years now). All the dogs on the ridge that "visit" with neighbors are of good temperment. No fights, no upset trash cans, no problems at all. The worse I've experienced is my neighbors beagles "busting" me while hunting. But who can get mad at a beagle. They're just too cute. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Yet Another Fence Question: Keeping in the dogs. #33  
<font color="blue"> Your comment reminded me of a picture I saw..... </font>

I recognize that picture as being from the Santa Claus 'deer can fly' training institute. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Don /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ Yet Another Fence Question: Keeping in the dogs. #34  
Dont know if you got your fence done,just throwing out a design idea here.Maybe consider 8" lodgepole pine for your corners and bracing,maybe some H.D. 133 "T" posts set 10' o.c. then maybe some gradient field fence for your fabric.Typically a cost effective and quality fence.I would use domestic wire only,no foreign product.Good luck,Mark.

/ Yet Another Fence Question: Keeping in the dogs. #35  
Appreciate all the food for thought. All of our dogs are trained for the invisible radio fence. Years back, a very patient wife and I used an old electric sidewalk edger with a modified blade to lay in about 2-1/2 acres. Never again, she said. This time, I'm going to rent a commercial gas blade trencher (not tooth) and pull it with the little JD lawn tractor. I can hang a spool of wire from the handle crossbar with a follower guiding the wire down into the trench with an old bicycle training wheel rim on the end of a pole. Rental is $25, probably cheaper than I could fabricate a steel 3-pt sod cutter. Wire ordered and www.DigSafelyNY.com notified, going in on the 16th hopefully.

/ Yet Another Fence Question: Keeping in the dogs. #36  
I crew up in a small town and our little neighborhood had a Basset Hound nammed Magoo that would walk himself every night and make his rounds. He felt fine following you in your home and he;d hang out awhile then head to the door. Spent the night once since it started to rain and he wasn't going out. Called the owner and they said great have fun and be sure to COVER HIM UP when he went to sleep.

One of the best memories and all the kids knew him and he was never picked on like kids today would get to doing.

He did have a colar, no tags, but a very nice collar.

BTW - Everyone of us invited the dog to our kid parties and don't you know, he never missed a one.