Ym2000 engine problems

/ Ym2000 engine problems #1  

ryan77704

Tractor
ym2000
My Ym2000 just started acting up. I bought it about a 5 months ago and changed all the filters and fluids. I was idling the other day while off the tractor unloading some stuff and it started running very rough/loud. I immediately decompressed it to shut it down and tried cranking a little while later after checking to make sure it wasn't hot or anything (I have a gauge for water temp I installed). I tried cranking the engine for a while to no avail. Eventually the tractor fired briefly and died. After this the motor would not even try and start but the solenoid for the starter was engaging it sounded like. I got another starter and charged the battery to full and found that it still would not try and turn over. After several trys, it broke free and tried to crank. The engine again fired and died immediately after and would not crank again. This is with the decompression lever all the way to the left so the flywheel should free spool. I did find that the far injector line was stopped up and I cleaned it out. Could the problem be the injector itself? I'm hoping its not the engine seized and something more like air lock or something but I'm clearly not an experienced diesel mechanic. Any thoughts on what this could be?

/ Ym2000 engine problems #2  
I don't understand how an injector line could be stopped up. Are you talking about the steel line from the injector pump to the injector being stopped up? If I am understanding correctly you are saying the engine will not turn over now with a new starter and good battery? Confirmation on that?

/ Ym2000 engine problems
Yes, the steel line where it goes into the injector was not putting out any diesel when turning the key while it was actually trying to crank. I cleaned the line and it began putting out the same amount as the steel line into the other injector (had them both removed). Yes, the motor will not turn over with new starter and good battery. Solenoid of starter engages and hums, but no crank.

/ Ym2000 engine problems #4  
Yes, the steel line where it goes into the injector was not putting out any diesel when turning the key while it was actually trying to crank. I cleaned the line and it began putting out the same amount as the steel line into the other injector (had them both removed). Yes, the motor will not turn over with new starter and good battery. Solenoid of starter engages and hums, but no crank.
That region should always be spotless, which ordinarily would lead me to suspect that you might have a fuel issue causing filtration failure, and gunk downstream. However, that would not explain why you couldn't turn the engine over with just the starter. That makes me worry that something else is going on. A new starter just humming is usually a sign of a bad cable, or a bad cable crimp, (check or replace and clean all the hots and the grounds) or a bad solenoid, or a sign that there is a mechanical issue.

I would pull your injectors, and see how they look. I would also check your fuel lines to make sure that you don't have an old fuel line that is either leaking, or leaking air, or debris. I would also try turning the engine over by hand with the injectors out to see if the there is something mechanically amiss. If that all checks out, I would check that the decompression lever/linkage is all actually working. If so, I would check to see if the cleaning of the electrical cables, crimps and battery posts helped the starter turn over the engine with the injectors out. If the starter can turn the engine over with the injectors out, I would check that they spray reasonably.

Good luck!

All the best,

Peter

/ Ym2000 engine problems #5  
I had the decompression stick on my YM2000!! Not long after buying it. What happened it was dirty with hard corrosion and it held the Decompression Shaft linkage and prevented it from shutting. I pressed down on the linkage were it goes through the Valve cover. It fired right up. Pulled the valve cover off and cleaned it. Never happenened again! Time to replace the Fuel Filter,Bleed the Injector pump and see what happens. May think about pulling the Injectors and Chk. the spray pattern. No location but Napa should have the Fuel Filter #3262 Make sure the Starter gear Is moving. Pull the starter and turn the Ing. key and watch for the Gear movement and engage the fly wheel.

Last edited:
   / Ym2000 engine problems #6  
If engine is not turning over then that is the number 1 issue. As Carey said, make sure the starter is good and if so your engine must be locked up. Probably hard to do but you could try turning the engine with a socket and ratchet. I am thinking it is a 46mm socket size.

/ Ym2000 engine problems #7  
If one fuel line is clogged, the others are compromised.
Bad fuel or aged old fuel or a dirty fuel tank, lines, filter, bowl and pump can all be affected.

Even with a new fuel filter, a dirty tank of old diesel can foul things up rather quickly for a poor idle. Yanar manuals state not to idle for more than 10mins at a given time. Idling for longer will create too much soot and blackened exhaust of un-burned fuel.

The YM2000 with the 2TR20 engine should run 10W30 or 10W40 diesel summer and 5W30 winter. 15W40 is too heavy or thick. This traps heat in the engine longer. Not a good thing for old Japan made engines spec'ed to JIS standards.

I use to buy off-road diesel as it was cheaper. However, in my area, the off-road fuel wasn't sold frequently enough, so the off-road diesel fuel would gum/gel up sooner. This is bad in the tank for microbes to ruin the fuel. For the few cents I was saving, it costs more in the long run for sooner maintenance. I now only use diesel from very frequent stations and diesel pumps. Fresh is best hands down overall.

Clean the tank. inspect hoses and lines. Purge them. Replace the fuel filter, o-ring, and bowl once again. The fuel pump can be cleaned with Gumout Multi-System cleaner. 1 bottle for about 5-gallons will do the trick. This works better than Seafoam. I've used both with good success, just the Gumout does a superior job.

GUMOUT MULTI-SYSTEM TUNE-UP.jpg

/ Ym2000 engine problems #8  
Yes, the motor will not turn over with new starter and good battery. Solenoid of starter engages and hums, but no crank.

If the motor is not turning the Eng. The pump will not pump any fuel It's Mechanical. Not Electric.
If it is pumping fuel Clean the Fuel System out. Don't use old Fuel!! that would defeating the purpose. Clean the tank out also. May want to replace the fuel lines for dry rot, Pin holes Etc.. Super cheap to replace.

/ Ym2000 engine problems #9  
I think you guys (many anyway) are missing the point. Getting all excited about a (possible?) fuel problem when the engine won't even turn over? In my opinion this engine has bigger problems than a "clogged injector line" and worrying about how to treat the fuel and fuel system is not going to find or solve the real problem. It's deeper than that.

/ Ym2000 engine problems
Yes, as Harry in Ky stated, this seems to be a more serious issue much to my dismay. I opened the valve covers to check and make sure the decompression linkage was actuating and it was (as careyo63 suggested). As I said, I recently changed all the fluids. When I researched online before changing the oil, I found multiple places which said that 15w40 was the correct oil weight. So, if bmaverick is correct I have an issue there already. I did not show over 130 degrees F on my temperature gauge during the time that it started running rough/loud though. There aren't many places that work on ym2000 models as they are "grey market" tractors I'm told. As I previously stated, I have not messed with diesel engines much. I am just stuck on the fact that after installing the new starter, it did break free and try and crank after being stuck. Then it fired (not even enough to wind up), died and stuck again. I have not been able to charge the battery again due to weather conditions and the location of the tractor when it went down. I do believe Winston is correct and the motor is seized. Any advice on what to do in this instance? I know Winston said I could try and turn it by hand with a 46MM socket. I am wondering if this would require me to take off the serpentine belt and remove the pulley or if there is a different point I could try and turn the motor from?