YM2310 starting issue?

/ YM2310 starting issue? #1  

etpm

Veteran Member
Tractor
yanmar ym2310
This tractor is my first diesel. Yesterday when I started it the temp was 40 degrees, or maybe a few degrees cooler. So not too cold. Following the instructions in the manual I turned on the thermostart for 10 seconds. Well, at least the thermostart light was on. With the throttle set for about 2000 RPM I pulled out the compression release knob, cranked the engine and let go of the knob. It almost started. So I tried again without the thermostart. It started but died as soon as I stopped cranking. So I tried a third time. I just cranked the engine until it started, about 7 seconds, which seemed like a really long time. White and black smoke, then just copious amounts of black smoke came out of the stack but it was running. I throttled down to 1500 RPM and it sounded fine and did not smoke. The smoke really only lasted two or three seconds, I could tell it was just unburned and partially burned fuel. Once started and with the RPM set to 1500 it sounded normal and didn't smoke. Tomorrow I will test the thermostart to make sure it is working. But did I do anything wrong trying to start the thing? At 50 degrees it starts right up without the thermostart. I was wondering if actuating the thermostart just dumped diesel without igniting it, and that's why I saw white smoke and then lots of black smoke. Because the engine was flooded. Anyway, tomorrow I'll check the thermostart and then I can know a little bit more.
Thanks,
Eric

/ YM2310 starting issue? #2  
You did well with the intended directions followed at the bottom of the page here:

However, that's generic across all the machines. Some machines take about 15 seconds or no more than 20 seconds holding the TS before starting.

I use a hair dryer to warm up the metal intake manifold when it's really cold out, like tomorrow with a high of 26F. Then I would use the TS system with no troubles.

On the Yanmar Tractor Owners Group, lots of discussion with the TS system and the block heaters. Most of the YM Series machines have a dedicated block heater port near the starter, BUT as rScotty would point out, don't go hammering on it to take the plug out because it's been in there for 40+ years. Fit the plug interface, get a 4ft leverage pry bar, and EZ walk it loose.

/ YM2310 starting issue? #3  
Also for a diesel, unlike a car, you can keep the starter engaged while it struggles to run evenly.

Thermostart when its working properly will make a near-silent pop at about the 15 second point, as the vapor it created catches fire. Listen for this. Repeat as needed.

You can also aim that hair dryer right into the air intake when you crank it, after warming the manifold for a few minutes.

/ YM2310 starting issue? #4  
@bmaverick The way I read the Hoye instructions is that is 10 seconds on 30 off for a dry igniter. Would that mean that it is ok to use the thermostart again on the second try?

Just curious.

@etpm A cold diesel that doesn't start right away will end up having fuel coated cylinders and exhaust manifolds, so I would say a certain amount of white and black smoke is to be expected. To the extent the thermostart didn't actually ignite the diesel dripping through it, the engine will also run richer until that fuel burns off, so more black smoke. Overall, I wouldn't sweat it. I will ask the dumb question about whether your thermostart reservoir has fuel in it.

There is a nice video on YouTube of a thermostart in action. (And yes,@California about fifteen seconds in, it catches fire...)

All the best,

Peter

/ YM2310 starting issue? #5  
@bmaverick The way I read the Hoye instructions is that is 10 seconds on 30 off for a dry igniter. Would that mean that it is ok to use the thermostart again on the second try?

Just curious.

@etpm A cold diesel that doesn't start right away will end up having fuel coated cylinders and exhaust manifolds, so I would say a certain amount of white and black smoke is to be expected. To the extent the thermostart didn't actually ignite the diesel dripping through it, the engine will also run richer until that fuel burns off, so more black smoke. Overall, I wouldn't sweat it. I will ask the dumb question about whether your thermostart reservoir has fuel in it.

There is a nice video on YouTube of a thermostart in action. (And yes,@California about fifteen seconds in, it catches fire...)

All the best,

Peter

Yes, the fire starting is GOOOOOD. Must have a burst of heat.

/ YM2310 starting issue?

Just curious.

All the best,

Peter
Not a dumb question and I dunno about fuel in the reservoir. I will tomorrow because I'm gonna use the service manual instructions to test the thermostart. After checking the thermostart tomorrow I will report my findings.
Eric

/ YM2310 starting issue? #7  
Not a dumb question and I dunno about fuel in the reservoir. I will tomorrow because I'm gonna use the service manual instructions to test the thermostart. After checking the thermostart tomorrow I will report my findings.
Eric

FYI, not all thermostarts on our machines are fuel feed the same. Some are directly feed from the fuel tank and other machines have a dixie cup reservoir that one has to fill. LOL

/ YM2310 starting issue?
FYI, not all thermostarts on our machines are fuel feed the same. Some are directly feed from the fuel tank and other machines have a dixie cup reservoir that one has to fill. LOL
Mine has the little plastic reservoir. I'm going out now to see if it is full.
Eric

/ YM2310 starting issue? #9  
I think on all YM's released after 1980 that little thermostart reservoir is fed from the injector overflow return line, so the reservoir doesn't need to be manually filled.

/ YM2310 starting issue?
I think on all YM's released after 1980 that little thermostart reservoir is fed from the injector overflow return line, so the reservoir doesn't need to be manually filled.
That's how mine is. There's a hose from the injectors that goes to the reservoir. From the reservoir are two hoses, one to the thermostart device and one to the fuel tank. 3 hoses total.
Eric