YM2310 starting issue?

/ YM2310 starting issue? #11  
I think on all YM's released after 1980 that little thermostart reservoir is fed from the injector overflow return line, so the reservoir doesn't need to be manually filled.

Mine's a 1981, and I have to fill it. LOL Good for 3 to 5 starts.

/ YM2310 starting issue?
Mine's a 1981, and I have to fill it. LOL Good for 3 to 5 starts.
I checked mine today. Plenty of fuel in it. Then I got pulled away for other chores so tomorrow I will check to see if the thermostart heats up. It looks like the best way to check this, since I'm the only one available, is to remove the intake from the air cleaner. Then I can pretty much look into the intake manifold while turning the key.
Eric

/ YM2310 starting issue? #13  
I checked mine today. Plenty of fuel in it. Then I got pulled away for other chores so tomorrow I will check to see if the thermostart heats up. It looks like the best way to check this, since I'm the only one available, is to remove the intake from the air cleaner. Then I can pretty much look into the intake manifold while turning the key.
Eric
Don't forget to listen for the "near silent pop"! ;)

All the best,

Peter

/ YM2310 starting issue? #14  
If below 40 I cycle the thermo start 2 times, then like california said keep it running with the starter.

I think what you are describing is completely normal for our older tractors.

/ YM2310 starting issue? #15  
Don't forget to listen for the "near silent pop"! ;)

All the best,

Peter

Depending on temps, it's a POP or a sizzle crackling sound. Heard it both ways.

/ YM2310 starting issue?
I guess the thermostart is dead. It has power. It has fuel. I took the rubber tube from the air cleaner off of the intake manifold and watched the end of the thermostart. No fuel dripped out, no smoke or fire. So I guess it is bad. Oh well.
Eric

/ YM2310 starting issue? #17  
I guess the thermostart is dead. It has power. It has fuel. I took the rubber tube from the air cleaner off of the intake manifold and watched the end of the thermostart. No fuel dripped out, no smoke or fire. So I guess it is bad. Oh well.
Eric

They go bad when no fuel is used or held way too long powered up.

Several places have them on the web. Just be sure to get the right one with the right threads.

/ YM2310 starting issue? #18  
I think there's just one model Thermostart. With the slight variance of sometimes, for older tractors, a screw in a threaded hole on the tab where later model connectors slide on. I've read that there are later Thermostarts with different threads but I've never seen a post about that variant.

And I've recently seen prices on Ebay from $12 to over $60. [Update: for the Perkins # shown below, $10.40 from Houston with free shipping, clear up to nearly $120 shipped from Italy.] All are clones of this original, made after Perkins' patent expired. The earliest application I know of might be the Perkins diesels in MF '35'.

Here's an old thread about these where I first posted this picture. I paid $15, locally, for the new Genuine Perkins replacement in this box.

dscn5123thermostart-perkinsbox-jpg.68476

Last edited:
   / YM2310 starting issue? #19  
thermostart-info.JPG

Thermostart Manual.jpg

121023-77910.jpg

124450-77910.jpg

Plug it in and turn it on.

Fire in the hole. The POP.
ThermoStart - photos of TS flame -- ThermostartFlame.JPG

The burn goes sizzle.
ThermoStart - photos of TS flame -- ThermostartVapor.JPG

General location for some Yanmar engine models.

JD850-thermostart-02.jpg

/ YM2310 starting issue? #20  
Hey I resemble that remark (or something like that) :D . The Hitachi SH100-02 part # specified in your document, is visible on that dead Thermostart from my YM240 resting on the Perkins box in my photo. Maybe it was original from 1980!

And the Pop and Burn photos? My YM240! I posted them here long ago and told Aaron he could use those in his Thermostart description. I recognize my 'Installed 11-07' and '120 hours' written on the air filter element. Ok, end of personal rant. Well until someone asks my opinion on something. :whistle:

Last edited: