YM336D - Started knocking loud while tilling

/ YM336D - Started knocking loud while tilling #21  
knocks don't go away with additives.... just saying.

Looking at that oil pickup, you most assuredly have spun a rod bearing. A visual inspection is not going to reveal this, nor is a wiggle test most of the time. It could also be a wrist pin flopping around.

/ YM336D - Started knocking loud while tilling #22  
Very true!

I think what we are talking about is the cleaning ability's it will work good for a pre-clean just before and oil change although the instructions say 1/3 can in the oil is fine for extended periods thats how I use it. 1/3 oil, 1/3 fuel and 1/3 sucked thru the intake fwtw.

/ YM336D - Started knocking loud while tilling #23  
I already have an oil gauge in the dash. It read 50PSI when I started it up on the day this all happened, but when the knocking began it read 10PSI. I'm not sure when it dropped, as I removed the idiot lights. The new gauge doesn't have an idiot light and I hadn't looked at it since starting it up.

I'm off to town to get the oil and filter now. I already have some seafoam, but seeing as I have the pan off, I'll hold onto it until next oil change. Wish me luck!

MAybe because you were low on oil the lesser volume there was stiffing up the crud more as the increased flow of oil that was required as there was less than there should be in the oil pan. What im trying to say is the oil left had to circulate more often maybe moving that crud and causing it to stick to the screen and then still starving the system as if it was low on oil.

/ YM336D - Started knocking loud while tilling #24  
knocks don't go away with additives.... just saying.

Looking at that oil pickup, you most assuredly have spun a rod bearing. A visual inspection is not going to reveal this, nor is a wiggle test most of the time. It could also be a wrist pin flopping around.

No one said the Seafoam will cure the Knock. It was suggested prior to an oil change to help clean the crud from inside the engine, thus increasing the oil flow and just cleaning the internals. It was recommended to get it warm then dump the oil refilling it WITHOUT seafoam, so there would be no additive in it then.

Also he has pulled the rod bearings and the mains, none were spun.

/ YM336D - Started knocking loud while tilling #25  
No one said the Seafoam will cure the Knock. It was suggested prior to an oil change to help clean the crud from inside the engine, thus increasing the oil flow and just cleaning the internals.

Correct, I was not implying it would cure knocking, sorry if I was unclear.

Car Doc, I have never used it in the intake, never thought to. Will give that a try, thanks!

/ YM336D - Started knocking loud while tilling
MAybe because you were low on oil the lesser volume there was stiffing up the crud more as the increased flow of oil that was required as there was less than there should be in the oil pan. What im trying to say is the oil left had to circulate more often maybe moving that crud and causing it to stick to the screen and then still starving the system as if it was low on oil.

I like that theory. That makes a lot of sense. It's hard to believe that itty bitty clean spot on the pickup filter circulated enough oil to ever make 50PSI, which only makes your theory more likely. I'd love for that to be the case. We'll find out tomorrow. I have the whole day clear to work on it.

Looking at that oil pickup, you most assuredly have spun a rod bearing

tcartwri, you must have missed it, but I mentioned I have already removed the bearing caps and the bearings are in perfect shape.

I meant to buy some plastigauge today in order to verify the tolerance, but forgot :(. I think I'll skip that step for now. If I need to come back to it, I will.

/ YM336D - Started knocking loud while tilling #27  
Man, this whole situation is rough, I wish you the best of luck!

/ YM336D - Started knocking loud while tilling #28  
Correct, I was not implying it would cure knocking, sorry if I was unclear.

Car Doc, I have never used it in the intake, never thought to. Will give that a try, thanks!

I wasent talking to you i was talking to the Tcart guy. I love seafoam, it really does clean up stuff. I can honestly said i have not had any miricle cures but have had good cleaning out with it.

Take a vacume line loose with it and run it into it so that if feeds the intake. Do it for say 15 seconds then stall it with to much and let it sit. Then start the car engine up and it will smoke down like crazy all the junk that its dissolves. You can do the same with an outboard. Put it in a spray bottle or pay the extra for half the amount of the "deep creep" version which is the same stuff in an arosol can, and spray into the boat carb throats while running then stall it out on it. Pull plugs and squirt some in each hole. I then manually rotate the motor to work it into the pistons, walls and rings. Let sit for 5 mins then crank boat up and run on a portable tank with 1 gallon of fuel and a can of seafoam. It will smoke like a pile of leaves, take it on the water and run the snot out of it. Will clean it up good. Suggest a new set of plugs after this!!!

/ YM336D - Started knocking loud while tilling #29  
:thumbsup: What clemson said yup that covered it very well!

I am pretty sure (95%) it will run ok once shes back together if there was no black rod caps and no damage to a rod bearing, the mains and pins should be ok, rods go first in a low oil situation, fact the knock was most likely lack of oil on the skirts. :)

/ YM336D - Started knocking loud while tilling #30  
tcartwri, you must have missed it, but I mentioned I have already removed the bearing caps and the bearings are in perfect shape.

Did you look at the upper bearing shell that's under thrust too... Or just the lower half?