You Know You Are Old When

/ You Know You Are Old When #241  
This might possibly help one of you. Back in early summer 2023 I had a urinary infection, they gave me Cipro. It made my lower legs, ankles and feet swell up. I couldn't wear my work boots all summer, just old shoes. Plus I got mild sick, dizzyness and nausea.

Then it got worse. I have a CMI hydraulic dump trailer, the front and back steel gates just drop in. I brought some clay over to my clay pile to dump it, because of my shoes I didn't want to go to the back of the trailer and use both hands to pick up the gate, so I reached over with my left arm and picked up the gate. I got half way up and it felt like someone stabbed me in the shoulder and had to stop. I pulled the trailer up a little (which is what I should have done anyways) then used two hands to remove the gate.

Later looking at my bicep how weird it looked. Two and a half weeks later I had my last checkup on my partial knee. The NP said everything looks good, no need to come back. I told her the story about my shoulder, the pain and my bicep. She said that I tore off the front tendon on my shoulder. I asked, can you fix it and she said no, because you can't find it.

A couple of weeks later I had to see my primary care NP and I told her about my shoulder. She said Cipro can cause you to rupture your tendons. Look it up on the net, some percentage of people over 65 years old can have problems with Cipro.

/ You Know You Are Old When #242  
True… it’s often a last resort antibiotic or at least it was.

We find it in some ear drops also.

/ You Know You Are Old When #243  
The SF Chronicle is just a fraction of physical size and far fewer pages but what remains is about half advertising and that's not counting the inserts.
I hear ya on that. Seems like the Sunday paper is thinner than a weekday paper used to be, but doesn't cost any less.
Don't get the paper very often anymore for that very reason. I miss it, as well as news magazines like Newsweek. A complete synopsis of the day's/week's news all in one place instead of hunting around various websites. The news aggregator sites seem to be flush with puff pieces but have headlines that make them seem more interesting/informative than they really are.

Agree on the inserts. Our statewide paper has a half dozen or so "special editions" that increase the cost by $1 (though the price is no longer noted on the masthead), and are basically nothing but ads. :mad:
There's always a few TV show worth watching, but I have a DVR for adds and I usually watch 1 movie a week. I pay $242.00 a month for it.

I know some off you have arthritis bad like me, I have it in every joint in my body, even my foot bones. The only place it doesn't hurt is my elbows.

I still go out and do what I have to do, just can't last as long as I used to.
Was that a typo? That's a lot of money for DVR service!!

As far as arthritis, I kind of lucked out at least compared to my siblings. Knees and fingers, but that's about it. They all had/have major spinal arthritis.

Like you, I don't have the stamina I once had, but fortunately still can do pretty much anything I need to.

/ You Know You Are Old When #244  
Mom liked to say getting old is not for the weak of heart.
She is in her 100th yr. I assume she knows what she's talking about.
As for my arthritis it was getting bad last year. Some mornings I couldn't turn a doorknob when I woke up. Shoulders, neck, and back pain worsening. I started a keto diet and supplemented Turmeric and glucosamine condroitants - pain is minimal now. Resumed my daily AM floor exercise for the bad back which has been a 30 yr problem and on going degenerative discs.
Arthritis is an autoimmune disease

Last edited:
   / You Know You Are Old When #245  
I hear ya on that. Seems like the Sunday paper is thinner than a weekday paper used to be, but doesn't cost any less.
Don't get the paper very often anymore for that very reason. I miss it, as well as news magazines like Newsweek. A complete synopsis of the day's/week's news all in one place instead of hunting around various websites. The news aggregator sites seem to be flush with puff pieces but have headlines that make them seem more interesting/informative than they really are.

Agree on the inserts. Our statewide paper has a half dozen or so "special editions" that increase the cost by $1 (though the price is no longer noted on the masthead), and are basically nothing but ads. :mad:

Was that a typo? That's a lot of money for DVR service!!

As far as arthritis, I kind of lucked out at least compared to my siblings. Knees and fingers, but that's about it. They all had/have major spinal arthritis.

Like you, I don't have the stamina I once had, but fortunately still can do pretty much anything I need to.
No, not a typo, that's what I pay for my DirecTV and DVR. The DVR is maybe $10, but I have every channel except the sports bundles. Does it irritate me that it cost that much, of course, but I look at it like this, I don't know how many years I have left, so if I enjoy watching some TV so be it.

I'm 77 yrs old and a bachelor. If I want something and I can afford it, I buy it. I worked hard for my money and I'm not trying to save it. A friend of mine said, spend it all and bounce the last check.

/ You Know You Are Old When #246  
Mom liked to say getting old is not for the weak of heart.
She is in her 100th yr. I assume she knows what she's talking about.
As for my arthritis it was getting bad last year. Some mornings I couldn't turn a doorknob when I woke up. Shoulders, neck, and back pain worsening. I started a keto diet and supplemented Turmeric and glucosamine condroitants - pain is minimal now. Resumed my daily AM floor exercise for the bad back which has been a 30 yr problem and on going degenerative discs.
Arthritis is an autoimmune disease
I take MSM, Glucosamine/Chondroitin and Turmeric. I have Osteo Arthritis, wear and tear or injury. Sometimes I have trouble slicing an apple with a knife. Everything hurts, but my hips, spine and knees are the worse.

What helps is every morning after breakfast, I do shoulder and knee therapy and spine stretches. Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday I curl weights to maintain some kind of strength in my arms. I had to drop the weight of the dumbbell on my left arm down to 10 lbs, because of the torn tendon.

I've had chronic lower back pain for 30 years, MRI confirmed that I had 4 discs that can press on nerves. I've had pain going down my right leg, my left leg, a couple of inches to left of my spine and about 4 inches to the left of my spine. They gave me trouble until the summer of 2018, then almost disappeared. Now only have a problem once in a while when I lift something the wrong way.

I didn't realize it, but my buddy told me that my lifting weights is what fixed my lower back. At first I didn't believe him, but when I had time to think about it, I think he was right. I've read where some people with disc problems can be helped with therapy instead of an operation.

I started lifting dumbbells February 1st, 2015 and in a little over 3 years it fixed my back pain.

/ You Know You Are Old When #247  
Speaking of PBS, one of the best things I ever saw on there was The History of Music in the USA. I think it was five 2 hour shows.

I wasn't going to record it, but I'm glad I did.
PBS has a subscription service (go figure 🤔) for about $6/month. A lot of good series on there, many being British. I sign up occasionally through Amazon Prime for a month or two to catch up. Same with Acorn TV and Britbox. Ad free. 👍👍👍

/ You Know You Are Old When #248  
No, not a typo, that's what I pay for my DirecTV and DVR. The DVR is maybe $10, but I have every channel except the sports bundles. Does it irritate me that it cost that much, of course, but I look at it like this, I don't know how many years I have left, so if I enjoy watching some TV so be it.
That makes more sense, the way you'd phrased it you made it sound like the DVR part was that much. I knew Direct Tv was pricey, but didn't realize it was that much.
I didn't realize it, but my buddy told me that my lifting weights is what fixed my lower back. At first I didn't believe him, but when I had time to think about it, I think he was right. I've read where some people with disc problems can be helped with therapy instead of an operation.
I injured my back in my 40s lifting something wrong. A couple herniated discs. Had a p/t job in the late 90s/early 00s working at a supermarket unloading and breaking down the delivery a couple mornings a week. Lots of lifting and stacking. Found I felt a lot better at the end of my shift. Must have done some good...back hasn't bothered me in years.
PBS has a subscription service (go figure 🤔) for about $6/month. A lot of good series on there, many being British.
What is public tv (and radio's) fascination on British programming? Is it that the BBC accent somehow implies that they're smarter than the average bear? Can't get into most of that myself.

/ You Know You Are Old When #249  
That makes more sense, the way you'd phrased it you made it sound like the DVR part was that much. I knew Direct Tv was pricey, but didn't realize it was that much.

I injured my back in my 40s lifting something wrong. A couple herniated discs. Had a p/t job in the late 90s/early 00s working at a supermarket unloading and breaking down the delivery a couple mornings a week. Lots of lifting and stacking. Found I felt a lot better at the end of my shift. Must have done some good...back hasn't bothered me in years.

What is public tv (and radio's) fascination on British programming? Is it that the BBC accent somehow implies that they're smarter than the average bear? Can't get into most of that myself.
For me Few silly gunfights (where no one gets hit) or car chases but often good stories & acting. Sadly to me the US has become lacking there particularly with series. Occasionally the pay services like HBO hit a home run. Band of Brothers for one. It was filmed in England with a considerable number of the lead actors being English, Scots, or Irish. My all time favorite.

The accents? Sometimes the closed captioning on 10 second replay gets turned on. 🤔😁

IMHO

Last edited:
   / You Know You Are Old When #250  
No silly gunfights or car chases but often good stories & acting. Sadly to me the US has become lacking particularly with series.

Exactly!

Some of those cop shows...I swear, there's more ammo expended in one show than what I've shot in a lifetime...and that includes my military service! And then a little while later I'll hear those same actors on the "news" espousing gun control. HELLO!

Last edited: