Young boy's first pocket knife: What would you give, and why?

/ Young boy's first pocket knife: What would you give, and why? #1  

madmax12

Veteran Member
Tractor
Mahindra Max28XL HST
My son's first pocket knife.

I have quite a few, and chose a new, smallish, Swiss army knife. One blade. One screwdriver/bottle opener/wire stripper. Pull out tweezer, and a pull out toothpick.

For now, I'll allow him to have it when I'm with him. Without supervision, it is in parental possession.

I'm interested in the thoughts and experience you have.

Thanks.

Last edited:
   / Young boy's first pocket knife: What would you give, and why? #2  
maybe concentrate on showing what tasks a pocket knife is good for, how to use it safely, and pointing our those tasks for which it is inappropriate ? it's a tool, like any other; take away the mystique and "romance".

/ Young boy's first pocket knife: What would you give, and why? #3  
How old is your Son? Case has many models that are suitable for Youths and also perform tasks.

/ Young boy's first pocket knife: What would you give, and why? #4  
How old is your Son? Case has many models that are suitable for Youths and also perform tasks.

My first ones were "chicken callers". Older case stockman's knives my dad had carried for years, until the tolerances between the blades (sharpened many times) and the bolsters had become so wide they actually rattled when opened and shaken.. hence the moniker "chicken callers" you could use the noises they made to call up the chickens.:laughing: But hey I was glad to get them. It was a while before I got a new knife, also a Case. Of course the selection to buy was considerably smaller than now. I carry mostly Spyderco's and Benchmades now.

I received my first one at about age 5. Yes I did cut myself a few times with it when I ignored dad's advice about "always cut away from yourself" I learned. Nothing serious that would not heal up pretty quick.:) All of my peers also carried knives. Even some of the girls. Yes we all carried them in school, from the first day to the last. There were even some switchblade/stilletto's Even though they were illegal at the time. "Whittling" was a fun pastime.

James K0UA

/ Young boy's first pocket knife: What would you give, and why? #5  
maybe concentrate on showing what tasks a pocket knife is good for, how to use it safely, and pointing our those tasks for which it is inappropriate ? it's a tool, like any other; take away the mystique and "romance".
Interesting point :)

/ Young boy's first pocket knife: What would you give, and why?
Great ideas, thoughts, and history guys. Thanks.

Focusing on the knife as a tool, is exactly the method I've been using with all things they use or see others use. Even a tractor or car or semi. Great point in removing the romance.

Creek, I gave him a simple swiss army knife, the only thing I don't like about it is it is not a locking blade. Not sure how much that matters, but I showed him the difference and explained it to him. He's 10. I think he's ready, but will be mindful of him. I had one when I was 8. Carried it everywhere. My son will not have that experience, as I'm sure you are all aware of school policy in these times.

James, your story is cool. You must have shown some character to have been permitted a knife at 5 years of age, especially without supervision. A friend of ours got his 4 year old daughter a 22 with a scope, and he allowed her possession only at the range with him. She's a teen now. And she was ready at 4. It's attitdue and character, not age. In this day and age, I thought waiting a bit was the right thing for my son.

/ Young boy's first pocket knife: What would you give, and why? #7  
Yes, different people mature at different rates. I know some 30 year old's I would not trust with a pocket knife, let along a gun. I fired my first .22 rifle at age 4 and was allowed unsupervised usage at age 12. Mom was not too keen on it at that age, but Dad seemed to think it was OK. I was always kind of a serious kid.

James K0UA

/ Young boy's first pocket knife: What would you give, and why?
Yes, different people mature at different rates. I know some 30 year old's I would not trust with a pocket knife, let along a gun. I fired my first .22 rifle at age 4 and was allowed unsupervised usage at age 12. Mom was not too keen on it at that age, but Dad seemed to think it was OK. I was always kind of a serious kid.

James K0UA

Your fathers trust in you, is by itself, a powerful testimony to your character. That is something to be very proud of, in a humble way. Very cool.

/ Young boy's first pocket knife: What would you give, and why? #9  
There is a good chance he will loose it, break it or cut himself and maybe all 3 at the same moment. And that's ok!! It helps build character. Just make him earn the money to get the second one, he'll keep it longer - especially if he has to go 4 or 6 weeks without one.

And maybe warn mom that he may come home someday with a hole in his foot from loosing a game of chicken with a buddy and his knife. Haven't we all done that?

/ Young boy's first pocket knife: What would you give, and why? #10  
If you can get locking blade,least its little safe as he learns the do's and don't's.

Old Timer jacket knife 2 blade can take beating.