Young boy's first pocket knife: What would you give, and why?

/ Young boy's first pocket knife: What would you give, and why? #11  
And maybe warn mom that he may come home someday with a hole in his foot from loosing a game of chicken with a buddy and his knife. Haven't we all done that?

Nope. I never played Mubley-peg. I have seen others do it. But like I said, I was a very serious kid. I was never accused of being the life of the party. My wife is the same way. When we were still young, she commented, "you know, I think we were born old". But I did cut my self a few times, and I "planted" a few of those old knives. Some were found, and some weren't. I lost a Spyderco, down near Little Rock Ar. a few years ago, but it was found by a customer that knew who's it was and returned to me. Now that was luck!

/ Young boy's first pocket knife: What would you give, and why? #12  
I would have given him the exact same pocket knife you did, mostly because that was my first knife, and it seems to be the classic "first knife" that every kid gets. "Gadgets" on knives are a lot more interesting to children than one with just a blade. I think a kid would have more fun and get more satisfaction out of having say, a screwdriver on hand when he needed it. Just imagine how excited he is going tone when one day he finds a loose screw on something, and pulls his knife out to tighten it back up!

/ Young boy's first pocket knife: What would you give, and why?
Thanks guys. Well, I hope he doesn't get into a knife fight. He's hoping to whittle or shape sticks. Hopefully, with care, this knife will be a good introduction. I told him its his first knife. It doesn't have to be his only knife.

Thanks for your help. He's pretty excited. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
   / Young boy's first pocket knife: What would you give, and why? #14  
Always loved my tweezers in my little swiss. Used the scissors quite a bit more than I thought I would. Teach him how to sharpen the knife with a stone. That skill will prove worthwhile for a lifetime.

Always loved my tweezers in my little swiss. Used the scissors quite a bit more than I thought I would. Teach him how to sharpen the knife with a stone. That skill will prove worthwhile for a lifetime.

That is true. It's been a long while since I've done that. I'll have to hone my skills before I try to teach him any. Thanks for the tip.

/ Young boy's first pocket knife: What would you give, and why? #16  
My first pocket knife was a MiniBuck I was given for being a Jr groomsmen for one of Dad's friends.

It was a great first knife, it was small and had a locking blade. But best of all it was a good quality knife for what they cost, less than $20 now. I never lost it and never cut myself with it. (I'll probably cut my finger off and then drop it in a storm drain tomorrow for saying that.)

My first pocket knife was a MiniBuck I was given for being a Jr groomsmen for one of Dad's friends.

It was a great first knife, it was small and had a locking blade. But best of all it was a good quality knife for what they cost, less than $20 now. I never lost it and never cut myself with it. (I'll probably cut my finger off and then drop it in a storm drain tomorrow for saying that.)

With that cool history, I hope you safely enjoy your knife for many years to come. :thumbsup:

/ Young boy's first pocket knife: What would you give, and why? #18  
There are some really cool whittling books available and also get a few pieces of balsa wood. It is a great way to spend some quality time doing meaningful whittling/carving.

There are some really cool whittling books available and also get a few pieces of balsa wood. It is a great way to spend some quality time doing meaningful whittling/carving.

That's another great idea. Thank you.

/ Young boy's first pocket knife: What would you give, and why? #20  
I remember the whittle challenge my dad gave me when I got my first pocket knife... to carve two connected links of chain from a balsa block. That kept me busy for quite awhile!