Your input?

/ Your input? #81  
Cool, thanks for the follow up...

/ Your input? #82  
Keep us informed of all the implements that you get for your new tractor.:D

/ Your input?
We got it dirty and put it through its paces :D See here for a report & pics

/ Your input? #84  
Hey folks, sorry to jump in randomly but you guys seemed like the jury I am looking for. :) Glad I found this forum to help out with decision making. Some really great info available here.

Well, here goes. We have a 90 acre farm/ almost half wooded with too many projects to get to. We've basically narrowed it down to Kubota as a brand. We love them and have had no problems so far. We're looking at the L3240 with it's adaptability and nice, stable platform for any work involving pulling or lifting.

That being said, we have a lot of grass to also mow. The dealer said no problem mounting a MMM ($350 option) and I feel comfortable mowing with a bigger machine because of our huge yard (several acres). We don't have much to mow around as it is mostly open land. We have been using a B7800 with 6foot MMM and it has worked nicely, but takes half the day.

So we are looking at the L3240 with a 72 inch MMM, 6 ft bush hog to do the countless acres of brush we need to keep tamed, and the heavy duty FEL for aiding in cleaning up the woods and hauling it back towards the other end of the property. The wife is convinced on getting a hydraulic dump trailer for brush, wood to split and the like. We also have a lot of fence to put up/repair which involves pulling power and weight to stretch the fencing. Other than that, just some smaller projects like hauling dirt, leveling some ground, etc.

I did see a guy with a similar tractor who got the optional third hydraulic valve for putting on a grapple bucket on the front. :D That makes me very happy realizing the potential here.

Basically we have had to rely on family for equipment and are attempting to become self sufficient finally. We are trying to buy a machine that we won't regret buying and finding out that it's too small. We need a single machine to be our good, solid platform for years to come. But is this overkill, or sound about right for some of our plans?

Thanks in advance.

/ Your input? #85  
Welcome NorthernNiner! Go get the L3240. You will love it! Sounds like it will be a good size for what you have in mind.

/ Your input? #86  
NorthernNiner, Welcome to TBN... yes, we can give you imput. It might have been "nicer" to have started a new thread since the question you asked could have many replies (it's been done before but it's called "highjacking a thread"... we'll all survive, don't worry ;))

So you are going from a 6' mmm with 30 hp to a 6' mmm with 34 hp, B7800 to L3240. I don't see that it will be faster with 4 extra hp and the weight of the B7800 is "better" for mowing.

The B7800 is a very good machine, a little small for 40 acres and many would say that you need more hp so you can get Larger rear finish mower in the 7' or 8' range to speed up the mowing.

/ Your input? #87  
So you are going from a 6' mmm with 30 hp to a 6' mmm with 34 hp, B7800 to L3240. I don't see that it will be faster with 4 extra hp and the weight of the B7800 is "better" for mowing.

I agree, there is no upgrade to mowing speed moving from a B7800 to a L3240 with the same size MMM.

How about a big ZTR instead? If your lawn is flat then you should be able to make better time than with a tractor.

Or, go the Soundguy route and buy a used 80+ hp Ag tractor that will pull a 10-15 foot batwing mower. That would probably cost less than getting a new L3240 and would be twice as fast mowing.

/ Your input? #88  
Ok, thanks for the input. I'll keep my hijacking to a minimum from here on out. :eek:. Yes the B7800 is a great mowing machine but it won't be available much longer for us to use since we're borrowing it. We just wanted something similar to get started with that can do the mowing relatively quick with the ability to handle heavier loads than the b7800. We stack and haul a lot of fallen oaks around the property, so that was my justification. I'd like to stick with one machine rather than buying two separate machines for two individual purposes.

Anybody know if the new Masseys can handle a mower on the 1533 or something similar?
Thanks for the advice.