Your last generator Maintenance Run

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #6,611  
Since I purchased the piranha tooth bar I don't need to use my
shovel and sweat just stay in the a/c cab and let the equipment
do the work!

willy

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #6,612  
It is quite compact but quite heavy for the small area it occupied.
I’ll take more photos & see if I can edit the file size to post more photos.
90cummins

IrfanView is easy to use program (free) to reduce photo file size, but you still need to install it in pc, and move your photo file(s) there.

I use it frequently to reduce iPhone photo file size.

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #6,613  
   / Your last generator Maintenance Run #6,614  
I have an MEP 952-b military 28v 200 amp DC generator with a capacity of 5.6kw.
I would like to load test it without stressing my 4kw inverter. Is there a way to create a device that I can directly connect the dc output to.
A simplistic thought is a long run of heavy gauge cable as a resistance loop.
I’ve though of using an old electric water heater and installing dc heating elements but I would like to keep it simple & cheap if possible.
I’ve never been able to fully load this unit.

90cummins

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run
#6,615  
I have an MEP 952-b military 28v 200 amp DC generator with a capacity of 5.6kw.
I would like to load test it without stressing my 4kw inverter. Is there a way to create a device that I can directly connect the dc output to.
A simplistic thought is a long run of heavy gauge cable as a resistance loop.
I’ve though of using an old electric water heater and installing dc heating elements but I would like to keep it simple & cheap if possible.
I’ve never been able to fully load this unit.

90cummins
Heat load is what you need..... circumstance and luck will hopefully lead you to a low cost solution.

A long time ago, I used to use DC incandescent bulbs as loads for big battery chargers.... not easy to find today, in high wattage w. low cost. Old stock marine or aviation searchlights, on clearance ?

I've seen bare resistance wire wound for small load coils, when I was in school, but have no idea what a reel is worth today.

You might want to poke around on some alternative energy forums, or dig through the Homepower archives. What I've thinking of, is diversion style power controllers - they were often set up to divert power from a battery bank, to dc immersion heaters, set up for auxiliary heaters in hot water or space heater systems. Not sure if that is still done, but if you came across some NOS of those heaters, that might be cost effective.

Somebody on here had that gorgeous milsurp load-bank he uses.... if you caught the right auction, @ right time (y)

Best Luck, D.

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #6,616  
I’ve found 24v 1.5kw immersion heaters on eBay but I would need 3~4 units & a water tank.
Trying to utilize something I may have on hand.
A load bank would be sweet!!
90cummins

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #6,617  
Agreed, I'd like a small load bank, but have not seen those in consumer/homeowner size.
I was contemplating the 1.5kw immersion heaters, but they'd be single use.
Instead, I recently bought 1.5kw small heaters. These are only $15 and I can use them in an emergency if need be to heat a small area. They have 3 settings and I measured them very close to 500w, 1000w and 1500w. We are in lower AL, so we don't see real low temps.

I'll probably run a fan across them as I'm using them for a generator load.

Testing last year pre-hurricane season, which is coming up again quick. Hoping to upgrade to a large inverter generator for cleaner power. I have a small inverter generator for overnight use, but do need a large unit to run the grinder pump and water heaters, etc,

1710033223757.png

Open frame conventional generator
1710033281802.png

Little inverter generator
1710033383418.png

Last edited:
   / Your last generator Maintenance Run #6,618  
Agreed, I'd like a small load bank, but have not seen those in consumer/homeowner size.
I was contemplating the 1.5kw immersion heaters, but they'd be single use.
Instead, I recently bought 1.5kw small heaters. These are only $15 and I can use them in an emergency if need be to heat a small area. They have 3 settings and I measured them very close to 500w, 1000w and 1500w. We are in lower AL, so we don't see real low temps.

I'll probably run a fan across them as I'm using them for a generator load.

Testing last year pre-hurricane season, which is coming up again quick. Hoping to upgrade to a large inverter generator for cleaner power. I have a small inverter generator for overnight use, but do need a large unit to run the grinder pump and water heaters, etc,

View attachment 856571

Open frame conventional generator
View attachment 856572

Little inverter generator
View attachment 856573
What about a hot tub?

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #6,619  
I do have an assortment of electric heaters with a combined AC load of 13+ KW but the problem is the generator I want to load test is 28v dc. I heard years ago of a welder being used to thaw frozen pipes by attaching leads on either side of the frozen section of pipe. Trying to be creative & cheap🙄

90cummins

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #6,620  
I know I've ran my hot tub heater and recirc pump on my big generator, not sure if I've ran the jet pump or not. I'm sure it would work with the heater off.