Your Thoughts on Cutting this Tree

/ Your Thoughts on Cutting this Tree #11  
Cut it below the split area, but no need to go super low. Google "Coos Bay Cut" for a suggestion, or see this old post of mine:

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/owning-operating/235723-skidding-logs-7.html

Scroll down to #64 for a sketch and some notes.

I always use that cut in barber chair scenarios, and it works like a charm every time. Much easier/safer than plunge cuts, and doable with small bars.

/ Your Thoughts on Cutting this Tree #13  
I guess I am not seeing why I would bother with it unless you want the wood. The other half fell to the road, what would this half fall on?

/ Your Thoughts on Cutting this Tree #14  
Cut it below the split area, but no need to go super low. Google "Coos Bay Cut" for a suggestion, or see this old post of mine:

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/owning-operating/235723-skidding-logs-7.html

Scroll down to #64 for a sketch and some notes.

I always use that cut in barber chair scenarios, and it works like a charm every time. Much easier/safer than plunge cuts, and doable with small bars.

I see how a Coos Bay might make it easier to control the release when you do the back cut, but I don't see how doing a back cut (Step 4) from outside the tree, towards the hinge eliminates barber chair.
Without a holding strap on the outside edge of the trunk, farthest from the hinge, it would seem the tree is in danger of barber chairing.

/ Your Thoughts on Cutting this Tree #15  
I have cut a lot of trees but wanted to get another opinion on this one.

A few weeks ago I have this large oak split at the forks and fall across the secondary road I use to get to my field with the truck. I have another access I use with the tractor and mule.

When the tree fell the top rested on a tall bank to the right, out of view in the picture. The lowest point where it was still attached to the tree was about 5' with the top about 8-9' off the ground. I was able to take a few large limbs off and cut the fork free from the main tree, then cut a few logs off. I was a little concerned about which way the fork would fall but it all worked out and I was extra careful, considering the size of the fork. The 20 bar on the Sthil would only reach about 3/4 of the way through. Gonna be fun splitting this up.

My question concerns the part still standing. You can see where the split happened and it took half or more of the total diameter of the tree. The lowest point where the fork split is about 4.5 off the ground and behind the tree is about a 10-12 drop off to a creek. The tree leans towards the drop off but I am going to try and drop it on the road bed.

The split is what concerns me. With the weight of the tree leaning and half the diameter missing I don't think I can cut the area that is split without the cut causing the tree to split or twist and splinter, if you follow me. The part below the split is around 40" across which will require notching from both sides, which will be difficult due to the drop off.

And I cannot cut at the split area without standing on something.

What is the best way to attack this?
Cut it close to the ground and I don't think it would split. I would plan to let it fall in natural direction of lean though. Then cut it to what ever lengths needed to pull the pieces up onto the road. A large CUT might pull the whole thing out at once if you had a skid pan under it.

/ Your Thoughts on Cutting this Tree #16  
Regardless of your method, make sure you have a very clear path of escape. Watch that tree closely and if it starts to looks the least bit spooky. You might want to think about putting a strong slack line up high, in case you don't get it all the way down. You might need to finish the job by yanking things down the rest of the way.

/ Your Thoughts on Cutting this Tree #18  
I guess I am not seeing why I would bother with it unless you want the wood. The other half fell to the road, what would this half fall on?

Actually, this was my first thought, too. If it isn't a hazard or nuisance (eg. blocking the road), would it hurt anything to leave it standing?

/ Your Thoughts on Cutting this Tree #19  
Cut it close to the ground and I don't think it would split. I would plan to let it fall in natural direction of lean though. Then cut it to what ever lengths needed to pull the pieces up onto the road. A large CUT might pull the whole thing out at once if you had a skid pan under it.

Seems like the trees tendency to split (barber chair) is a function of how much side tension (lean or rope pull) there is versus the adhesion strength between vertical grains of the tree. Perhaps I wrong, but I don't see where how it's dependent on whether you cut it high or low, other than if you cut it low it would give the top of the tree more leverage to split the grain.

/ Your Thoughts on Cutting this Tree
I don't think I will have much of an issue cutting the tree. I will get some more pictures this weekend and post next week to show all the angles, and the drop off behind the tree.

As far as not cutting it down...that's not an option for several reasons. I don't like hazards hanging over my head:D and the creek/spring this would fall in the direction of is one we pump water out of in the spring and store in a 1200 gal container for use in the greenhouse. So it is too close for comfort.

Also depending on the wind it could fall close to the road that I use often. The part that broke off showed no signs of disease and broke off early one morning no wind. I just felt lucky it did not fall while I was driving under it.:D