Your towing rigs and trailers

/ Your towing rigs and trailers #761  
You obviously haven't seen one and you clearly haven't even had your first knee surgery. First, they fold into the tailgate and are basically unseen. Second, any injuries you have had that healed up, just wait, they'll all come back in about 30 years with a vengeance! I imagine most trucks will have them in a few years. It's sort of like when power steering came out. Who needed power steering?! What wimps! Now how many trucks don't have power steering? Same sort of deal. Go drive you a truck without power steering; the old fashioned way. ;)

Actually, I have used one of the steps. But, as I said this is from my opinion and I guess it must be good for some people. Well, it's not the step itself actually, its the handle that comes up. that doesn't fold into the bed. Sorry for leading in the wrong direction, I do think it's a cool option, but not always the best option.

Kyle

/ Your towing rigs and trailers #762  
Actually, I have used one of the steps. But, as I said this is from my opinion and I guess it must be good for some people. Well, it's not the step itself actually, its the handle that comes up. that doesn't fold into the bed. Sorry for leading in the wrong direction, I do think it's a cool option, but not always the best option.

Kyle

The handles on the ones I have seen fold flat into the tailgates plastic cover that is part of the bed liner. Maybe on a truck without a bed liner it would stick up some but if thats the case just stand it up out of the way.

Chris

/ Your towing rigs and trailers #763  

Kyle

I think I'll stick with exactly what I said. I may be getting older, but I can still bench over 300 pounds, squat and dead lift over 500 pounds. I also have forklifts all the way up to 10,000 pounds; far more than you'd ever use for a pickup truck.

The point is that it's all about working smarter, not harder. You see many 2 ton and over trucks without power steering? I can still crank the wheel just fine, but why should I? The same thing with loading a pickup truck. With that step, I can walk up the tailgate step with a nice load in my arms and just sit it where I want it. Without the step, I have to lay my load on the tailgate, make the awkward climb onto a high tailgate a 4X4 dually has, and then pick my load up again to place it where I want it.

Just because I'd prefer to do things an easier way don't assume that I'm too old or too weak. My 21 year old son and his friends have told me many times that they'd rather go through basic training for the Marines again than work with me in the summer. My son is still taking BJJ classes and also works as a hand to hand combat trainer in the military. We have a full gym with one section with mats in the basement. I can show you hard work and almost guarantee you that I can get you to fill a puke bucket in the gym. Guys don't get older and wiser by always doing things the harder way when something better comes along.

/ Your towing rigs and trailers #764  
My '08 F-450 has the tailgate step and I think it's about the best thing invented since sliced bread. I haven't had any problems loading things into the bed, the slight hump in the tailgate has been a non-issue. I buy cattle feed by the ton and they load a full pallet in the bed with a forklift, no problems.

/ Your towing rigs and trailers #765  
Well, all. Sorry for the commotion, thanks for all you guys input though. I guess I'm just stubborn and don't know when to keep my mouth shut.:eek::laughing: Let's just get back to the thread. Sorry again.

Kyle

/ Your towing rigs and trailers #766  
I have the tailgate step on my F-250 4x4 and my wife thinks it is wonderful. I like it too, and after all its use IS OPTIONAL so I may not use it EVERY TIME. So far I have had no conflicts using pallet forks to load and unload pallets (light scratches on just a small part of the handle.) So far I have had no problem with bagged feed (50 lb), sunflower seeds (25 or 50 lb), or. sheet goods mostly 4x8 but some 5 ft wide cabinet grade birch ply which is carried tilted.

It is much much more convenient than the Dodge 3500 custom off road I have. You almost need rappelling gear for that due to bed height.

Patrick

/ Your towing rigs and trailers #767  
This is the only pic I have of my 90 F250 Supercab 4x4 8800gvw 460, E4OD, 4:10 gears. Bought new, I've added a complete Banks exhaust and a Gear Vendors overdrive. Yes it will tow my small 5th in double over on flat ground and the gear splitting cures the big step from 2nd. to 3rd.for climbing hills. Now has 410,000 KM (256,000 miles) and is getting tired. I'm planning on restoring it with a Cummins and possibly Allison, to run on a mix of diesel and waste oil. My new GC2610 is being delivered next week and I will take some pics of my 20', 14,000 GVW, tilt flat deck and my boat with another trailer.

Attachments

• thanksgiving06.jpg
    thanksgiving06.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 207
   / Your towing rigs and trailers #768  
Well, all. Sorry for the commotion, thanks for all you guys input though. I guess I'm just stubborn and don't know when to keep my mouth shut.:eek::laughing: Let's just get back to the thread. Sorry again.

Kyle

I wish I would have been the guy who came up with that idea and patented it. I'd be retired and own my own island somewhere. Like I mentioned, I'd be totally shocked (unless patent laws prevent others from having it, which I can't see) if all pickups don't have them in about 5 years or so. Such a simple idea and so useful but never seen before. If you notice, on Nissan commercials and such, they are now integrating steps into the side of their SUV's that allow access to the roof rack.

I wasn't picking on you, even though I have a dozen or so "healed" broken bones and joints telling me cold weather is here, but that's just one good idea that will catch on. Maybe a better analogy would be an FEL on a tractor. People had tractors for years without them and got along. Now, if you don't have an FEL on your CUT or Utility sized tractor almost everyone will walk past it on a dealer's lot and look at one that does.

/ Your towing rigs and trailers #769  
This is the only pic I have of my 90 F250 Supercab 4x4 8800gvw 460, E4OD, 4:10 gears. Bought new, I've added a complete Banks exhaust and a Gear Vendors overdrive. Yes it will tow my small 5th in double over on flat ground and the gear splitting cures the big step from 2nd. to 3rd.for climbing hills. Now has 410,000 KM (256,000 miles) and is getting tired. I'm planning on restoring it with a Cummins and possibly Allison, to run on a mix of diesel and waste oil. My new GC2610 is being delivered next week and I will take some pics of my 20', 14,000 GVW, tilt flat deck and my boat with another trailer.

slick rig!:thumbsup:

/ Your towing rigs and trailers #770  
I wish I would have been the guy who came up with that idea and patented it. I'd be retired and own my own island somewhere. Like I mentioned, I'd be totally shocked (unless patent laws prevent others from having it, which I can't see) if all pickups don't have them in about 5 years or so. Such a simple idea and so useful but never seen before. If you notice, on Nissan commercials and such, they are now integrating steps into the side of their SUV's that allow access to the roof rack.

I wasn't picking on you, even though I have a dozen or so "healed" broken bones and joints telling me cold weather is here, but that's just one good idea that will catch on. Maybe a better analogy would be an FEL on a tractor. People had tractors for years without them and got along. Now, if you don't have an FEL on your CUT or Utility sized tractor almost everyone will walk past it on a dealer's lot and look at one that does.

Another added advantage of the grab handle is that you can put it in the up postion with the tailgate lowered when hauling sheets of plywood, drywall etc and it will keep them from sliding out of the bed if your bed is shorter than 8 foot when you need to leave the tailgate down..