Zerk/lube idea...

/ Zerk/lube idea... #1  

Fuddy1952

Elite Member
Tractor
1973 Economy and 2018 John Deere 3038E
I ordered 200 of these locking rubber zerk fitting caps from eBay...
They lock on, can't fall off. My thought is it keeps dirt out.
Then I bought a white paint Sharpie pen. It's hard to keep track of each piece of equipment but, say, a tractor has 32 grease fittings. I write 1 through 32 on 32 caps. Then near one zerk I write 32. As I lube it I know when I haven't overlooked one.

[https://i]

1/4

(50 Pack) Brake Bleeder Screw Caps Grease Zerk Fitting Cap Rubber Dust Cover

20180624_200737.jpeg20180624_200834.jpeg20180624_200900.jpeg20180624_200934.jpeg

/ Zerk/lube idea... #2  
My thoughts on this is that the ball on the end of the grease zerk is there to keep the dirt out. One swipe with the gloved that I'm wearing and it's clean enough to grease.

The thought of pulling off a cap and replacing it every time I had to grease... I have better things to do with my time.

The numbering idea is a good one. I've greased my own equipment enough that I have most of the locations memorized. I would just take a felt pen and write the numbers close to each grease zerk.

So if you have 32 zerks, what keeps you from quitting at say 30 if you forget about the last 2?

/ Zerk/lube idea...
Ideas and tips are not for everyone. If it's not your cup of tea that's ok.
When greasing fittings why not stop at 30 when there are 32? Because 2 won't get greased?!?

/ Zerk/lube idea... #4  
So this is just some rubber caps, right? Hmmm, I like the idea. I'm new to all this, but the grease oozing out of the zerks if nothing else attracts dirt, and gets grease all over my favorite work shirt. :) Like the numbering idea too. I like creative thinking.

/ Zerk/lube idea...
Grease shouldn't ooze out, replace if it does, but I forgot to mention zeros get damaged easily by rocks, etc. Rubber cap protects it.

/ Zerk/lube idea...
Zeros should be Zerks...spellcheck...
Grease shouldn't ooze out, replace if it does, but I forgot to mention zeros get damaged easily by rocks, etc. Rubber cap protects it.

/ Zerk/lube idea... #8  

Not ACTIVELY oozing. There's just a little blob of grease on the end of most of the zerks. I assume they just overfilled the zerks a bit while prepping the tractor for delivery.

/ Zerk/lube idea... #10  
Yep, put those rubber caps on every zerk on the tractor, loader and BH. Then I liked them so much, put them on the finish mower zerks too. Very nice at keeping all the dirt/dust off, ready to grease!

OH, I also wash AND wax the tractor!