Zero Turn Mower Problems

/ Zero Turn Mower Problems #1  

Jeff4

Tractor
JD214, Ariens EZR-1742
Hi,

I think I have two problems.

Problem 1:
I know that I need to replace the PTO clutch on my Bobcat FastCat Pro (61") ZTR. Do I need to buy the Borg Warner clutch or are the Chinese "equivalents" (on eBay for about 1/2 the price) good enough.

Problem 2:
When I took a look at the belt to see what would be involved in replacing the PTO clutch I saw the idler pulley was not "centered" (see picture). Is this normal? If not, what part(s) of the assembly will need to be replaced?

Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge/experience!

Jeff

1710006618184.png
1710006726802.png

Last edited:
   / Zero Turn Mower Problems #3  
The idler pulley has a bad bearing the pulley will have to be replaced. It probably was letting the belt slip

/ Zero Turn Mower Problems
I'd change out that pulley first ..... the PTO might be OK.
Thanks! I was wondering about that. I did verify that there is 12V going to the clutch and when I "engage" it I don't hear/see anything. Is it possible that the clutch is OK anyway?

/ Zero Turn Mower Problems #6  
I'd replace the idler first. I've never SEEN my clutches engage. Clutches are pretty friggin reliable. Start with the cheap fix first.

/ Zero Turn Mower Problems
I'd replace the idler first. I've never SEEN my clutches engage. Clutches are pretty friggin reliable. Start with the cheap fix first.
Thanks - I'll start there :)

/ Zero Turn Mower Problems #8  
Thanks! I was wondering about that. I did verify that there is 12V going to the clutch and when I "engage" it I don't hear/see anything. Is it possible that the clutch is OK anyway?
You should hear a click if 12 volts are going to the PTO. The clicking sound is a electro magnetic field being created to create a magnetic field to engage the the PTO locking the pulley so when it spins, it will rotate the belt which in turn will rotate the blades on the mower if the belt is of the proper tension and engaged in the drive pulley on the deck. The pulley on the PTO the thing with a v for the belt to go into should also rotate freely by hand when no voltage is going to the PTO, (Switch turned off). If you try to rotate the the pulley on the PTO with the switch in the on position it should not rotate. If you are strong enough you can rotate the pulley but you will also be spinning the engine over. Most people do not have the strength in their hands to do this. Some can by removing the spark plugs.

/ Zero Turn Mower Problems #9  
i have 6 mowers with pto clutchs and have never had to replace one, oldest one has 5500 hrs i would only stick to oem parts and that pulley is toasted, i have adjusted the air gap once on that 5500 hr scag most clutches have ajustable air gaps when they wear some are sealed on older toro z masters they were sealed

/ Zero Turn Mower Problems #10  
As a repair center I replaced 13 clutches last year for various reasons from burning the coils out to the friction disc breaking to seized or damaged bearings that look like the idler pulley in the picture or the anti-spin bracket breaking resulting in the wires being pulled out from the clutch

Most shops are using the xtreme ope clutches for replacement if available.