Zero Turn Mower Problems

/ Zero Turn Mower Problems
Thanks everyone. I'll replace the idler pulley and let you know what happens (it might take a few weeks to get it apart and get the replacement so please be patient :) ).

/ Zero Turn Mower Problems #12  
I observed the initial picture provided and I wondered how someone could not notice through operation something was really wrong ......... and then I noted all the debris and crap left on the deck ...... and then I understood.

/ Zero Turn Mower Problems #13  
How difficult is it to replace the clutch? If it is hard, I would go with the better clutch. If it is a fairly easy task I might take a chance on the cheaper version.

Doug in SW IA

/ Zero Turn Mower Problems #15  
i've had to change idler pulleys several times on my ZT. seems to be the weak link in the power train. belts generate a lot of heat, etc. always wondered why idlers don't come w/zerks. maybe manu think operators will over grease onto belt
good luck w/yours

You should hear a click if 12 volts are going to the PTO. The clicking sound is a electro magnetic field being created to create a magnetic field to engage the the PTO locking the pulley so when it spins, it will rotate the belt which in turn will rotate the blades on the mower if the belt is of the proper tension and engaged in the drive pulley on the deck. The pulley on the PTO the thing with a v for the belt to go into should also rotate freely by hand when no voltage is going to the PTO, (Switch turned off). If you try to rotate the the pulley on the PTO with the switch in the on position it should not rotate. If you are strong enough you can rotate the pulley but you will also be spinning the engine over. Most people do not have the strength in their hands to do this. Some can by removing the spark plugs.
I took the mower deck and idler pulley off today -- and have ordered a new idler pulley. I can not turn the pulley on the PTO with the belt off (mower also off and no voltage applied to the PTO) -- does this suggest that the PTO clutch is shot or should I wait until I get the new idler pulley installed?

/ Zero Turn Mower Problems #17  
I took the mower deck and idler pulley off today -- and have ordered a new idler pulley. I can not turn the pulley on the PTO with the belt off (mower also off and no voltage applied to the PTO) -- does this suggest that the PTO clutch is shot or should I wait until I get the new idler pulley installed?
Mark the pulley on the PTO with tape or paint. Spin the engine over with the starter. If the pulley spins, disconnect the electrical connection to the PTO. If the PTO pulley still spins the PTO is probably frozen and will have to be replaced. The PTO is usually held onto the splined shaft with one bolt. It should slide off with light tapping with a hammer. If it will not you will have to use a three jaw puller.

Mark the pulley on the PTO with tape or paint. Spin the engine over with the starter. If the pulley spins, disconnect the electrical connection to the PTO. If the PTO pulley still spins the PTO is probably frozen and will have to be replaced. The PTO is usually held onto the splined shaft with one bolt. It should slide off with light tapping with a hammer. If it will not you will have to use a three jaw puller.
I marked the pulley and it didn't move when I cranked the engine. I then started it and turned on the PTO and it didn't move either. I had tested for 12V when this first started, so I know that 12V is getting to the clutch.

/ Zero Turn Mower Problems #19  
I marked the pulley and it didn't move when I cranked the engine. I then started it and turned on the PTO and it didn't move either. I had tested for 12V when this first started, so I know that 12V is getting to the clutch.
Assume nothing check for voltage again. Are you testing with a voltmeter or a voltage probe?

/ Zero Turn Mower Problems #20  
My guess is the bad idler pulley allowed the belt to damage the wires into the clutch.

90 percent of bad electric PTO clutches I have seen have been from another issue or the belt itself braking and hitting the clutches wires.