Ram 1500 first modern half ton to offer diesel

/ Ram 1500 first modern half ton to offer diesel #41  
Enough with your teenage banter!! You are sounding like a born again Christian, just because you like the ecoboost does not mean everyone else has to.

I dont care how many turbos they put on it, it will never compete with a diesel!! That is fact!!

He is talking about a 4.6 V8, the ecoboost is a 3.5 V6.

/ Ram 1500 first modern half ton to offer diesel #42  
Good post lostcause- I concur.
I want to see more offerings that maximize fuel economy. I hate having to fill my gaser, and i mostly nurse it along to get the greatest economy. I *need* to own a truck, i wish i didn't when i go to fill up!
I would be willing to pay a premium up front, as long as i beleive it will work out in my favor in the long run.

/ Ram 1500 first modern half ton to offer diesel #43  
I dont think it will fly, far.. The EPA is getting too involved with diesels to make them cost effective in the long run, at least in a small truck market.

I have an 08 F250 sitting right behind me with an EGR coked up to all **** and a plugged DPF filter all from lack of use with a mere 70k miles on it. They dont run the truck hard enough to even regenerate the DPF!

The one great thing about wanting a diesel in a P/U is you had step up into a 2500 series truck, everything was built heavier, normal wear items lasted 2-3x what they would in a 1500 series truck. Every direction I look at it, it doesnt add up.

/ Ram 1500 first modern half ton to offer diesel #45  
It will survive, and thrive. It already has the high revving hemis beat,, lays down more torque, and gets better mpg. It will be a hit. And it will also end up with competition from GM ad they will have to release the smaller duramax now.

Thank you Dodge!! :)

I dont think it will fly, far.. The EPA is getting too involved with diesels to make them cost effective in the long run, at least in a small truck market.

I have an 08 F250 sitting right behind me with an EGR coked up to all **** and a plugged DPF filter all from lack of use with a mere 70k miles on it. They dont run the truck hard enough to even regenerate the DPF!

The one great thing about wanting a diesel in a P/U is you had step up into a 2500 series truck, everything was built heavier, normal wear items lasted 2-3x what they would in a 1500 series truck. Every direction I look at it, it doesnt add up.

/ Ram 1500 first modern half ton to offer diesel #46  
It will survive, and thrive. It already had the high revving hemis best, lays down more torque, and gets better mpg. It will be a hit. And it will also end up with competition from GM ad they will have to release the smaller duramax now.

Thank you Dodge!! :)

Do you think they will with the direct injected V8 that they are supposed to come out with?

/ Ram 1500 first modern half ton to offer diesel #48  
Any ideas on what the tow capacity will be?

Not picking on you, but this brings up a issue that drives me nuts. A diesel in a pickup generally does not give it a higher tow rating (and I'm not implying you said it was).
BBrakes, axles, springs, suspension components, even parking brakes have more impact on tow ratings than fuel type in a light truck.
Want a heavy hauler? Look at those components. The gov't doesnt care how fast you get your load up to speed, they care if you can handle and stop the load safely.

Just because a 1/2 ton is equipped with a diesel, there is a low information segment of the population that thinks it will pull a D-9.

Again, not picking on ya, just made me think of something related....

/ Ram 1500 first modern half ton to offer diesel #49  
A diesel half-ton Dodge!? Why didn't they think of it sooner?
;)
How Mitsubishi Diesels Got Into 1978 Dodge Rams

GM had diesels in full light trucks & blazers before any of them had diesels. Its not a new concept.
Just like electric cars. They were around 100+ years ago, but some people act like theyre such an unbelievable new innovation. My great uncle drove battery powered postal trucks back in the depression era.

/ Ram 1500 first modern half ton to offer diesel #50  
GM had diesels in full light trucks & blazers before any of them had diesels. Its not a new concept.
Just like electric cars. They were around 100+ years ago, but some people act like theyre such an unbelievable new innovation. My great uncle drove battery powered postal trucks back in the depression era.

I've made the same point to others about electric cars and no one gets it. However having driven a couple of the higher performance EVs there's definitely potential there. Its all about battery storage and cycle time.

Wasn't the Dodge the first real diesel though? The GM pickup diesel was a gasser conversion (Olds 350 IIRC) and the Mitsubishi was an actual diesel powerplant.