Dodge Cummins Engine Concern

/ Dodge Cummins Engine Concern #41  
So since you are a self proclaimed "vehicle" expert what is it specifically that makes the steel on Ford trucks rust less then the steel on other branded trucks?

/ Dodge Cummins Engine Concern #42  
So since you are a self proclaimed "vehicle" expert what is it specifically that makes the steel on Ford trucks rust less then the steel on other branded trucks?
Better paint and/or paint application procedures. Thats why my brothers 1993 Volvo 940 with over 200k miles (formerly mine) has almost no rust (just a little surface rust where the paint got dinged) while my wife's former 2002 Dodge Caravan with 130k miles (sold last month) had no rocker panels left.

Aaron Z

/ Dodge Cummins Engine Concern #43  
Ownership. Own eyes. Just walk around the parking lot at lowes and take a look at different brands.

You guys seem to forget my grandfather owned a Chrysler dealership for 40 years which is now owned my his brother. I have been around vehicles my whole life.

Chris[/QUOTE

So, my grandfather owned some horses. Believe it or not I don't know much about horses except you fork feed in one end and fork manure at the other end.

And amazingly; I've been around vehicles for over seventy years!

When wandering the parking lots don't see many old fords. Lots of old dodges like mine though. Must be we are poor folks that can't get new unless absolutely necessary.

Wandering in parking lots is a senseless occupation unless unless there are lots of vehicles like yours or dementia is right at hand.

/ Dodge Cummins Engine Concern
:laughing::laughing::laughing:

/ Dodge Cummins Engine Concern #46  
So, my grandfather owned some horses. Believe it or not I don't know much about horses except you fork feed in one end and fork manure at the other end.

And amazingly; I've been around vehicles for over seventy years!

When wandering the parking lots don't see many old fords. Lots of old dodges like mine though. Must be we are poor folks that can't get new unless absolutely necessary.

Wandering in parking lots is a senseless occupation unless unless there are lots of vehicles like yours or dementia is right at hand.

You know, I hate to admit it, as much as I dislike Chrysler products, but it seems you do see more old beat up Dodge trucks than anything else.... I wonder if it actually means Dodges run longer despite the rust, OR.... it means that you notice ugly trucks more than nice ones, and, in fact, there are a ton of old Fords and Chevys out there, but they are just clean and don't draw attention to themselves like the rusty old Dodges? There's gotta be numbers out there somewhere....

/ Dodge Cummins Engine Concern #47  
You know, I hate to admit it, as much as I dislike Chrysler products, but it seems you do see more old beat up Dodge trucks than anything else.... I wonder if it actually means Dodges run longer despite the rust, OR.... it means that you notice ugly trucks more than nice ones, and, in fact, there are a ton of old Fords and Chevys out there, but they are just clean and don't draw attention to themselves like the rusty old Dodges? There's gotta be numbers out there somewhere....
In my neck of the woods, I see a lot of the 89-96 Chevy 1/2 tons still on the road, a good bit more than Ford or Dodge. As for the Cummins, in my area, they are becoming more prevalent. A lot of the ag guys are dumping there powerstrokes and duramaxes for the cummins mainly for durability and cheaper to fix. My bestfriend is a cattle farmer, owns 2 1 ton drw 4wd Dodges. Both have been flawless, one truck is at 300k miles.

/ Dodge Cummins Engine Concern #48  
I have a 2002 Ranger that i bought new. No rust anywhere on the body. However, last year i was crawling around underneath it, checking the air in the spare, when I noticed that the spring shackles and hangers looked awfully rusty. The edges of the steel resembled delaminating plywood, the scale was so heavy. I took a welder chipping hammer and started knocking the scale of them, and when i was finished the parts had big holes in them (where there was supposed to be solid steel) and were "paper thin," to quote someone else who looked at them. A bit scarey, since these pieces were all very close to failing.

They appeared to have some sort of plastic coating (powder coat??) and the plastic separated from the steel but did not flake off like paint would have, instead holding moisture and road salt between the plastic and the steel. A check on the internet revealed that this is a very common problem, as is heavy frame rust on Rangers. Fortunately, my frame is OK.

As far as this whole Ford/Dodge/Chevy thing goes, I think it is the luck of the draw; you might get a good one, and you might get a piece of s___. I will buy whatever offers what appears to be the best deal for the money. However, I will not be the manufacturers' guinea pig, which means I will not be the first to have an aluminum-bodied truck, nor an 8+ speed auto trans, nor a "better than sliced bread" new engine, and so forth.

And anything I buy will not have packages labeled "appearance," "convenience", or "popular."

So, my next might be a Ford, or a Dodge (sorry, but they will always be Dodge and not Ram), Chevy, or maybe Toyota or Nissan.

Or maybe Kia, if they want to jump in the game.

/ Dodge Cummins Engine Concern #49  

Moss, you would have liked my 1966 Chrysler 300!

/ Dodge Cummins Engine Concern #50  
The only thing I cannot understand about old Chyslers is, how did they make the starter motors so loud? Even after they were no longer enerergized, you could hear the starters winding down.

I had one of these starters on my 1977 Duster.