Toyota Tundra Problem?

/ Toyota Tundra Problem? #1  

dodge man

Super Star Member
Tractor
JD 2025R
While I was working yesterday in a parking lot, I noticed a Toyota Tundra, don't know the exact age, maybe 5 years old or less. It looked very nice on the outside then I looked in the bed. I noticed severe rust. It looked like it was rusting where the cross members hit the bed. It wasn't rusted through but was close, parts of the metal were pushed up a couple of inches and there were about 6 places in the bed that looked this way. I have no idea on mileage or anything but it looked like typical Illinois rust.

Is this a common problem on these trucks? I was mostly surprised because it otherwise was a really clean truck.

/ Toyota Tundra Problem? #2  
While I was working yesterday in a parking lot, I noticed a Toyota Tundra, don't know the exact age, maybe 5 years old or less. It looked very nice on the outside then I looked in the bed. I noticed severe rust. It looked like it was rusting where the cross members hit the bed. It wasn't rusted through but was close, parts of the metal were pushed up a couple of inches and there were about 6 places in the bed that looked this way. I have no idea on mileage or anything but it looked like typical Illinois rust.

Is this a common problem on these trucks? I was mostly surprised because it otherwise was a really clean truck.

If you are off on the dates and it is actually a 2000-2006 or so Tundra then the rust problem is well known. I don't know about the bed but Toyota has been very good about replacing the frame and associated parts for free on the affected models (2000-2006 is just my guess). I don't think they have had any problems with the last two versions though.

/ Toyota Tundra Problem? #3  
I have a 2006 Tundra and just received a notice to bring my truck in for inspection and replacement if I had any rusted frame components. Mine looks fine.

/ Toyota Tundra Problem? #4  
Yup, I own a 2006 Tundra and they did a rustproofing spray on my truck. Mine wasn't bad ... so the frame did not need replaced. Here is a rusty Yota for comparison :) download_20150415_083310.jpeg

/ Toyota Tundra Problem? #6  
Yup, I own a 2006 Tundra and they did a rustproofing spray on my truck. Mine wasn't bad ... so the frame did not need replaced. Here is a rusty Yota for comparison :) View attachment 421806

To be fair, that truck is probably 20 years old. Lots of Fords and Chevys with similar severe rust after that long in a northern salt using region.

/ Toyota Tundra Problem? #8  
To be fair, that truck is probably 20 years old. Lots of Fords and Chevys with similar severe rust after that long in a northern salt using region.

Yup, its a 95. Runs well ... it is eating itself alive, though.

/ Toyota Tundra Problem? #9  
Yup, its a 95. Runs well ... it is eating itself alive, though.

My neighbor had the same truck until last year when it failed inspection due to rot. Too bad, it was uber reliable and efficient.

/ Toyota Tundra Problem? #10  
I think that one would fail inspection to be honest ... but we dont have them in Ohio. On a side note ... do you like your Kioti? I am looking at one, right now?