Toyota Tundra Problem?

/ Toyota Tundra Problem? #21  
I have a 2007 Tundra, and have been on the Tundra forum since before I bought it...haven't seen much in the way of rust problems mentioned except for aftermarket rear bumpers. For a while people were complaining about rear bumpers that started rusting in a year or two, but it turns out they weren't from Toyota. Some dealers buy the trucks without bumpers, and then source them locally for less money, but they're usually lower quality.

/ Toyota Tundra Problem? #23  
I haven't heard of any rust problems for the past 5-6 years. Here's my 14 model. Does it look like this? The 12-13 models are similar but the lines are not quite so 'crisp' looking in the older models.

Not to take a away from this thread but THAT is a sharp looking Tundra! Love the work truck look.

/ Toyota Tundra Problem? #24  
i just picked up a used 2013 with 9 k miles on it,
traded a 2010 with 70k, no rust, but , i did have a bedliner
and rubber mat in the bed so i guess i can't say what was under there!

before that was an 07, and an 05, and an 01 which i gave my son. on that one
the bumpers looked bad (painted) but never noticed the box problem described.

/ Toyota Tundra Problem? #25  
Performance specs and weight are near identical.

Not really. Aside from the loader and pump flow almost everything is higher/better (yes, even weight). Some of the changes are pretty dramatic...like over 25% more 3pt lift, but that's really a topic for another thread.

/ Toyota Tundra Problem? #26  
Toyota has a recall on all rusted frame from 1995 to current. If you are the original owner they will replace the frame for free.
When a bed rust out from the floor. The problem happens when heavy loads or rough objects are drag across the bed.
This removes the paint to expose the bare metal and the rust starts. Over the years if neglect to the paint and metal the bed will rust out and is not under the recall. We see this a lot on mansion contractor with cement blocks in the bed.
Toyota is one of the best car and truck company's out there.
If you had a 2000 Dodge with body rust see if they will warranty it. Toyota will fix there truck and give you a car to use until the job is done.
You may pay more for a Toyota to start with but in the long run it will less costly to operate over the cost of ownership.

/ Toyota Tundra Problem? #27  
Toyota has a recall on all rusted frame from 1995 to current. If you are the original owner they will replace the frame for free. When a bed rust out from the floor. The problem happens when heavy loads or rough objects are drag across the bed. This removes the paint to expose the bare metal and the rust starts. Over the years if neglect to the paint and metal the bed will rust out and is not under the recall. We see this a lot on mansion contractor with cement blocks in the bed. Toyota is one of the best car and truck company's out there. If you had a 2000 Dodge with body rust see if they will warranty it. Toyota will fix there truck and give you a car to use until the job is done. You may pay more for a Toyota to start with but in the long run it will less costly to operate over the cost of ownership.
My neighbor bought a used ?2003 Tundra. It had frame rust and bed rust (primarily around the bolts that hold it to the frame, not grime scratches). He took it to the local Toyota dealer and they replaced the frame and associated parts for free. They also advised him that if he purchased new shocks that they would install them for free. They did not offer to replace the bed. Bottom line is that they essentially rebuilt the critical elements of the truck for free even though it was a two owner twelve year old truck. I don't see ANY other car company doing that sort of thing.

/ Toyota Tundra Problem? #28  
A friend had the same experience with a 2001 Tacoma. Frame had a little hole on the passenger side rail. Toyota replaced the frame and while there, offered to install new parts for the cost of the parts. For about $3,000 they essentially rebuilt the truck. Mechanically, it was like new. All new bushings, shocks, ball joints, etc. Even did the clutch.

That's customer service that leads the pack. Toyota did everyone a favor by raising the bar.

/ Toyota Tundra Problem? #29  
A friend had the same experience with a 2001 Tacoma. Frame had a little hole on the passenger side rail. Toyota replaced the frame and while there, offered to install new parts for the cost of the parts. For about $3,000 they essentially rebuilt the truck. Mechanically, it was like new. All new bushings, shocks, ball joints, etc. Even did the clutch.

That's customer service that leads the pack. Toyota did everyone a favor by raising the bar.

Yes, that is essentially what my neighbor got including new brake lines as I recall. Even better, the guys at the dealership let him go out and source his own new shocks which he got from a discount autopart store and saved himself another hundred or so compared to the OEM part. Amazing flexibility and pro customer service. It may seem crazy but I'd say Toyota is crazy like a fox. I for one would immediately give the edge to a used Toyota product based on this type of experience and if others behave similarly then used Toys will hold even more of their value which allows Toyota to charge more for the new product. Somebody at Toyota is thinking long term rather than quarterly profit.

/ Toyota Tundra Problem? #30  
My neighbor bought a used ?2003 Tundra. It had frame rust and bed rust (primarily around the bolts that hold it to the frame, not grime scratches). He took it to the local Toyota dealer and they replaced the frame and associated parts for free. They also advised him that if he purchased new shocks that they would install them for free. They did not offer to replace the bed. Bottom line is that they essentially rebuilt the critical elements of the truck for free even though it was a two owner twelve year old truck. I don't see ANY other car company doing that sort of thing.

That's pretty amazing! Glad I bought a Tundra :)