MIG or TIG: Which is better?

/ MIG or TIG: Which is better? #1  

kruss77

Bronze Member
Tractor
1995 CC 1864 Hydro
I know MIG and TIG welding both have advantages and disadvantages, but I don't know what they are. I did some basic TIG welding years ago when I worked in the tool trade, but never really understood why one would be chosen over the other. Can someone help me out with this?

/ MIG or TIG: Which is better? #2  
I know MIG and TIG welding both have advantages and disadvantages, but I don't know what they are. I did some basic TIG welding years ago when I worked in the tool trade, but never really understood why one would be chosen over the other. Can someone help me out with this?
MIG is easier to build than TIG. Very simple to build a wire feed unit. TIG requires feeding the filler metal by hand. MIG is fast, TIG is slower. MIG can be done by machine, almost all TIG is done by hand. MIG results in more metal buildup while TIG produces neater/nicer looking welds with less buildup. Both are the way to go, along with a good stick welder.:thumbsup:

/ MIG or TIG: Which is better? #3  
Different tools for different jobs. MIG is a general purpose welding process that is easy to learn. TIG is a more precise welding process that requires more skill to master. Over the years I have aquired all basic processes (O/A, Stick, MIG, TIG). Also with a addon of Plasma cutting. Although I have been welding for years finally made myself go take a college course so I can weld better and be able to use my tools more effectively.

/ MIG or TIG: Which is better? #4  
What the above posters said is definitely true.

Tig (GTAW) welding is a like welding with an O/A torch.

Mig (GMAW) welding was developed for factory production welding (ie., putting a lot of filler in a weld in a short period of time) so it is much better where you want production. It can also be a lot less smokey than stick welding when using only a shielding gas thus reducing the need for a expensive ventilation system.

If I could only have one or the other, it would be MIG.

/ MIG or TIG: Which is better? #5  
IMHO...
Mig is generally used for general welding on mild steel.
Tig is generally used on Aluminun and Stainless Steel.

/ MIG or TIG: Which is better? #6  
IMHO...
Mig is generally used for general welding on mild steel.
Tig is generally used on Aluminun and Stainless Steel.

Everyone has given good advice, and BW really got down to the nuts and bolts of it. Both can do more, but MIG for steel, TIG for Stainless and Aluminum.

Stick with MIG because steel is "affordable". I thought steel was expensive until I bought some Aluminum. I thought Aluminum was expensive until I went to buy some Stainless Steel.

Joe

/ MIG or TIG: Which is better? #7  
tig is definately the more versatile I have used it to weld alluminum , stainless, steel , copper , brass, bronze, even my wifes ,silver ring , mig is more of a production type machine , yes you can weld alluminum and stainless with it , but anyone who has done either would probably say it is not Ideal.

/ MIG or TIG: Which is better? #8  
As the guy who has to approve the finished construction of new food processing machinery I love TIG... Smooth strong welds that are easy to clean and don't harbor bacteria and soil.

As the guy who has to repair busted farm machinery in my garage and fabricate stuff out of scrap, I love MIG... cheap to buy, easy to learn, and fast welding.

Actually, I prefer stick unless it's something very thin. I'm used to stick, and I can do repairs with much less prep.

/ MIG or TIG: Which is better? #9  
I do mig, tig, arc and gas welding. Most of my welding is mig and tig. Basically tig give you "control".
It is said and I know it's true that when you get good using the tig process you'll be able to weld a razor blade to a railroad track.

Mig on the other hand is used for production. It's the fastest and some say easiest way to weld. It all has it's place and no one way of welding will do it all but I sure wish it did because I's only need one machine then :D

/ MIG or TIG: Which is better? #10  
A few years back in my early working career, I was a (visual) welding inspector on nuclear power plants. AWS certified, etc... I saw a lot of welds from all different processes. MIG, TIG, Stick, GTAW, all positions, all joint configurations. These welders had to be almost perfect by procedure. Most had to test out to a radiography NDE.

I knew a TIG welder at one of the plants and for the entire time I was inspecting (maybe 8 years), not once did I see a bad weld from this guy. One of the finest welders I have ever seen. TIG welds on mostly small-bore, stainless, socket welds, smooth, without even so much as a start or stop puddle. I have seen my fair share of crappy welds too, but this guy was extrodinary. Really a pleasure to see his work.

No point, just sharing an experience. Man if I have seen one inch of weld, I have seen 10,000 miles of it, in all shapes and sizes. Even had a guy on the same job that welded in tight spots through a mirror. I had to inspect them the same way. He was good at it too. Bend a 7018 rod and go to town.