YM336D - Started knocking loud while tilling

/ YM336D - Started knocking loud while tilling #1  

Domush

Platinum Member
Tractor
1981 Yanmar 336D
I feel like an idiot. I spent well over a month fixing this tractor and getting it to where I could use it. I borrow a tiller from a neighbor for my garden, start tilling (1st time using a PTO implement!) and after the first row, it begins knocking loudly. I check the oil, and it is barely registering on the dipstick :( .. I ran it low on oil..

I noticed the oil pressure gauge read only 10PSI before I shut it down, where it normally reads 50PSI. This can't be good.

I pushed it back into its parking spot and will begin tearing into it tomorrow.

Until then.. anyone have any guesses as to what the knock is? This is the first time I've been this stupid with an engine. I even thought about checking the oil when I started it this morning, but figured I ran it so rarely it wouldn't matter (I have maybe 10 hours on it since I changed the oil). It smokes a good amount, but I though that was diesel, not oil getting pushed out. :sigh:

336D restoration thread #3, I guess. :ashamed:

/ YM336D - Started knocking loud while tilling #2  
Domush

I feel for you. I hope it is an easy fix.

/ YM336D - Started knocking loud while tilling #3  
hopefully you got it before any major damage was done, if it was really that low and pressure was down it may have spun a bearing :(

/ YM336D - Started knocking loud while tilling #4  
Most likely would be a rod bearing but sure can't know that.

/ YM336D - Started knocking loud while tilling #5  
Man i hate to hear that! I know how much work you put into this thing, after following your posts.

This is a good reminder to me to check my oil which i almost never do on stuff as much as i should, i just think well its never really been low before.

/ YM336D - Started knocking loud while tilling #6  
If it was ran low on oil the knock will be bad bearings and that almost 100% always ruins the crank so pulling the whole engine is necessary there to get the crank and cam out and pray it didn't spin a main.

You can pull the oil filter and tear it down (grind the rolled edge off at the top and pull the guts out and spread them out) or pull the pan and see bearing material or even see it in the drain oil you have major issues guaranteed.

/ YM336D - Started knocking loud while tilling #7  
Reading this made me cringe. I don't always check mine before use either, I know I should and now will remember this thread if I don't. :(

/ YM336D - Started knocking loud while tilling #8  
Everytime it sat overnight for me. Look at the Overflow Bottle and check the Hyd. Fluid also. Just not worth a couple Min. not to ;)

/ YM336D - Started knocking loud while tilling #9  
If you guys ever worked for someone operating equipment you would already be in the habit. :laughing:

/ YM336D - Started knocking loud while tilling #10  
:laughing:Had to look back alot of times to see how much I had left.