Traction Drive train YANMAR FX24D

/ Drive train YANMAR FX24D #31  
Last post of the day. Pictures of the differential and showing the sheared bolts and maybe a better shot of the broken tooth.

Attachments

• 100_6398.jpg
    100_6398.jpg
    683 KB · Views: 471
  • 100_6399.jpg
    100_6399.jpg
    725.5 KB · Views: 588
  • 100_6400.jpg
    100_6400.jpg
    644.5 KB · Views: 372
  • 100_6401.jpg
    100_6401.jpg
    591.2 KB · Views: 408
  • 100_6397.jpg
    100_6397.jpg
    639.5 KB · Views: 687
   / Drive train YANMAR FX24D #32  
Wet Brakes:laughing: Does it have one of them there Chrome Gas Tanks??:thumbsup:

/ Drive train YANMAR FX24D #33  
Those bolts don't look to be HT? only mild steel. looking at it they all broke in the same spot which leads me to saying I think the bolts are this models downfall as this has happened to many people. Maybe the crown wheels are soft too, breaking a tooth, jumping and stressing the bolts as it takes up again and shearing them off?? many scenarios here......

/ Drive train YANMAR FX24D #34  
The bolts have a 7 on the head so I assume that is the grade. No matter what they are it took a wham to shear all those. The ring gear is hard enough that a file won't scratch it. Sometimes the more you harden the more brittle something becomes. I think there is a fine line to hit in the hardening process. The pinion gear does not even look scratched. Anybody know where a ring gear is just laying around we would sure be interested. The new set is $700.

/ Drive train YANMAR FX24D #35  
Great pics Winston,I was thinking that the axle hsng might be servicable and congrats for taking a chance and being successful, these are great tractors to work on and its my understanding field serviceable, I wonder what ring gear would match the damaged one you have, perhaps a 970,990 or the like might be the same........keep the info coming-

From CT

/ Drive train YANMAR FX24D #36  
Great pics Winston,I was thinking that the axle hsng might be servicable and congrats for taking a chance and being successful, these are great tractors to work on and its my understanding field serviceable, I wonder what ring gear would match the damaged one you have, perhaps a 970,990 or the like might be the same........keep the info coming-any dimensions on the ring ?number of teeth ?

From CT

/ Drive train YANMAR FX24D #37  
Only a 7.... I would have expected a lot higher grade than that given its on the ring gear :eek: no wonder they break them off.

/ Drive train YANMAR FX24D #38  
A bit of a mystery has unfolded. The ring gear and differential holder both have 8 bolt holes. There were 5 sheared bolts left in the ring gear, 5 bolt heads and lockwashers found in the transmission sump. Evidently there were 3 left out. No doubt 8 would be stronger than 5. The 3 holes in the ring gear without the sheared bolts all have good threads. Makes me think somebody has been in there before, just hard to imagine Yanmar leaving them out originally. Guess I'll never know.

May be awhile for parts but I will report on success or failure on down the road. Again, anybody with a ring gear or knowledge of where one might be we would appreciate the knowledge.

/ Drive train YANMAR FX24D #39  
I'm back again. Started to edit my last posting but if some have already read it this might be confusing. In doing a thorough cleaning I came across a complete ring gear bolt and washer. With considerable finagling I eventually found all of the missing 3. Evidently those three had worked their way out because threads are good on all three as are the threads in the gear. Sorry for my constant changing of the story. That is what happens when you get old. :D

/ Drive train YANMAR FX24D #40  
Me again! Anybody out there with an FX24D parts manual that would share the pinion/ring gear part number with us would sure be appriciated. Thanks!