Turbo on YM2000

/ Turbo on YM2000 #11  
Whiskey , Is that you ? The original ? I haven't heard from you in some time. After you restored that tractor you left. Glad to see you back. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Turbo on YM2000 #12  
I'm not a naysayer.. but I'll agree with the other poster in wondering why you need lightning fast throttle response on a farm tractor.

I've seen alot of peopl ehot rod farm tractors. A common trick for the ford people was to take a ford 5000 and add a turbo to it.. kind retrofit it to a '7000'... That kicks a 72 hp tractor up to an 84 hp tractor. However.. once the bug hits them.. then they turn up the fuel. I believe the going story is that some fellow managed to get something like 104 hp ( that's near to a ford 8000 ) out of a stoke dup 5000 with turbo with fuel turned up. I believe the story ended with a twisted off crank shaft.... etc.

So be careful.. nothing is for free.. that extra power you are getting is lowering the 'extra' margin that your engine has for tolerance... I'E' you are running it harder than it was designed, but due to range of tolerance you are getting it to work. For some machines that is fine. I've seen situations where the same engine is used in 3 progressively sized tractors.. rpm/governor tweaking, turbo, and fuel are the hp designators. Is the largest engine maxed? i doubt it.. I rather think they designed the biggest engine to spec.. then detuned the later two.. etc.

Turbo shoul help your tractor breathe better in high altitude conditions.. that will be a pulss if used that way..

soundguy

/ Turbo on YM2000
Here's the exhaust side of the motor

Attachments

• 804143-Picture 014 (Small).jpg
    804143-Picture 014 (Small).jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 569
   / Turbo on YM2000
Here's the intake side of the motor

Attachments

• 804147-Picture 015 (Small).jpg
    804147-Picture 015 (Small).jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 518
   / Turbo on YM2000
Here's the exhaust manifold for the BOV

Attachments

• 804148-Picture 016 (Small).jpg
    804148-Picture 016 (Small).jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 480
   / Turbo on YM2000
screwed up on the first pic of the exhaust side, so here it is again. On the intake picture, the black hose is just my temporary oil feed line to the turbo. I am going to make one out of hard line, but for trial purposes, this worked.

/ Turbo on YM2000
Here is looking from the front of the tractor looking back toward the seat

Attachments

• 804150-Picture 018 (Small).jpg
    804150-Picture 018 (Small).jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 502
   / Turbo on YM2000
I guess I should clarify. The throttle response was a welcome attribute to installing the turbo. The main reason I decided to go this route was because when I bought the tractor, it was adequate for my needs. Like everything else, things change. In my instance, I started out with 5 acres to farm. This year I am up to 21 acres. In stock form, I am able to pull a 6' disk (an old IH-perhaps 90 years old) with no problem. When I did get into a little rougher stuff, however, I noticed the engine tended to lug a bit more than I was comfortable with. I could have gone slower, but then ran the risk of just spinning the wheels. I like to travel fairly fast when pulling a disk because it throws the dirt a little better. The increase of the land and my limited time necessitated me to either get a bigger tractor or see what I could do with the one I have.

I used to have a 9N and after weighting the Yanmar down, it performs just as good, if not a little better. The diff lock is a feature the 9N didn't have, nor did it have the economy of this little tractor. I do need to mention that the 6' disk I pull was an old unit my neighbor's dad bought new and pulled behind horses, so it is a light disk.

Now, here are the deficencies with the tractor for me. Ground clearance is very poor. I already put taller tires up front (5x15) and am looking for the next size up for the rear. The other thing I do not like is the lack of wheel spacing. I am going to fab up spacers for the rear and come up with something for the front so I can straddle 2 rows. This year isn't a priority because I'm planting melons, but it is something I'm going to look at in the future.

I am well aware of pitfalls of hot rodding. I do not intend to make this tractor a 45 hp tractor, nor do I expect it to work like one, but until I can afford a larger tractor, I need to maximize what I have.

BTW, this tractor pulls everything the 9N pulled, including a 5' Indusco offset disk, 2-16 plow, and a 6' cultivator. In fact, when I lived in Kansas, my 9N used to pull a 3 bottom, but out here in California, the soil is just too heavy to even think of something that big. One more question-how do you indent for each paragraph? Sorry if this reads difficult

/ Turbo on YM2000
Oh, forgot to mention, I was pulling the 2-16 plow yesterday in 6th gear and the tractor never did lug nor got hot. Despite the rains we had here, the soil wasn't too bad for plowing, but certianly was not optimal.

/ Turbo on YM2000 #20  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( The diff lock is a feature the 9N didn't have )</font>

That's what brakes are for /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( The other thing I do not like is the lack of wheel spacing )</font>

Have you turned and swapped the rears already?

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( The increase of the land and my limited time necessitated me to either get a bigger tractor or see what I could do with the one I have.
)</font>

Hmm.. I might have tried to get a 2nd tractor. That's never a bad thing.. especially if one is a smaller unit.. and one is bigger. Lots of times you can get the big ones cheap.. course.. cheap tractor is quite a bit different than a cheap turbo add on.. etc. Finances might have only allowed 1000$ to play with.. and in that case the turnbo and wheel mods may be what you have to play with.. vs 2500-4500$ for a big old 2nd tractor.

At least your unit has a water pump.. that's a good thing!
Good luck with the mods. Be carfull on modifying the fronts.. some tractors say you can wident he front.. and others don't like it..

Soundguy