John Deere 318 Reviews

5.00 star(s)
Trey318

318 John Deere
John Deere 318
Model Year: 1992

The 318 is an excellent lawn tractor. I use mine all over the farm moving firewood and feed in my 80 dump cart. The lawn tractor has plenty of power to take care of business, even without bar tires it still pulls fine. I also have about 10 acres of grass I mow and it takes care of that without any problem.

Pros: Onan engine-heavy-well built.
Cons: Could use bigger mowing deck.

Photo Uploads:

5.00 star(s)
rwc318

318 John Deere
Used John Deere 318
Model Year: 1983

I purchased my 318 recently as a project. It had a bad starter on it and the owner didn't want to spend the money that the John Deere dealer wanted to fix it. So I bought it and replaced the starter. The tractor ran great when I got it started. It's appearance was pretty rough. So I decided I would try and restore it. It took me a couple of months to get it done, but it turned out pretty good. I have since bought a snow blower to go with it. Being all hydraulic and having the power steering, it is very easy to handle even with the snow blower hanging on the front. I have heard this lawn tractor called one of the best that John Deere ever built. I would have to agree.

Pros: Very well built and rugged.
Cons: Parts availability for the Onan engine.

Photo Uploads:

5.00 star(s)
rdlillemoen

318 John Deere
My 318
Model Year: 1990

Very reliable, minimal maintenance required. Few breakdowns.

Pros: Power, reliability, for a homeowner.
Cons: .

5.00 star(s)
Danco

318 John Deere
Nothing Like a JD 318
Model Year: 1989

Trying to find another. I use it for mowing, snow removal, hauling and general landscaping task. Its twin Onan 18 HP delivers more than enough power. I've fabricated a front end scoop from a 48" inch blade. I'm able to pickup and move a variety of material. I may at some point add a 3-point hitch. Would not trade it or sell it.

Pros: Everything.
Cons: Wish I can add a sleeve hitch. Needs a 3rd spool of hydraulics.

Photo Uploads:

5.00 star(s)
dodavis

318 John Deere
John Deere 318
Model Year: 1988

1st time owning a John Deere of this size. I received this mower/tractor from my Dad. I know this was his baby. This tractor has been very reliable for all his needs since he received it in 2004 with having 598 hours on it at that time. My Dad used it mainly for mowing a 3 acre lot and snow blowing. This mower is in great condition with the exception of the paint and minor wear and tear items. A things work with the exception of needing to adjust the PTO clutch due to installing the clutch and not knowing the proper installation and adjustment.

Pros: Reliability.
Cons: None at this time.

5.00 star(s)
Anonymous Poster

318 John Deere
Great Mower With Bad Engines
Model Year: 1988

I have a 1988 318 with a 50-inch mower. I have really liked it except the Onan engine, which has made a great tractor seem not as great. I like the looks of a couple different replacement engines, but can't see spending so much for a new engine only to have the deck needing major work or replacing.

Pros: Well built, tractor is great, mower deck is good
Cons: The Onan engines are worthless