John Deere 455 Reviews

5.00 star(s)
michigangeorge

455 John Deere
JD 455
Model Year: 1999

Purchased new w 15 cu ft trailer, wheel weights, suitcase weights, tractor trunk, halogen lights, tire chains and custom Reese receiver hitch and plow. Added ball hitch to trailer tongue. Filled tires w liquid (?) to add even more weight. Used for extensive home landscaping including moving large boulders, hauling dirt, firewood, mulch & building materials. Plow steep 300' paved driveway in heavy snow area and pile snow into five foot high banks much faster than using a snow blower. I launch and move boats around up to 22'. The only thing which would make this tractor any better would be a heated seat and four wheel drive! I love it and will keep it till the wheels fall off which will never happen in my lifetime. :)

Pros: Build quality, performance & appearance.
Cons: I wish the plow would move faster (up, down & angle).

Photo Uploads:

5.00 star(s)
jggls460

455 John Deere
John Deere 2001 Garden Tractor w/60 Inch Deck
Model Year: 2001

I had a 1984 John Deere 318 garden tractor prior to purchasing my 2001 John Deere 455 Garden Tractor w/60 inch deck. It had 322 hours on it and today it has 329. I'm retired and enjoy having the luxury of working around the house when I am not performing my honey dues. This 455 is really a machine that out performs all expectations that I had. I knew that the diesel fuel would go further than gas but this is really amazing. I called a dealer out of state from me that had a 95 455 that had 489 hours on it and had been completely repainted looked very nice. He told me that he had a 2001 455 coming in like new. It was better than I had envision it. The owner had kept it serviced himself and cleaned up after each mowing. No paint work, its all original.

Pros: Too many to mention.
Cons: I've to replace the reverse pedal and fix the PTO switch for the deck not to cut off when stopping and between forward and reverse.

5.00 star(s)
irideaglide

455 John Deere
JD 455 AWS
Model Year: 1998

What more can be said?

Pros: Power to spare.
Cons: Deck sheet metal too thin.

5.00 star(s)
JD455AWS

455 John Deere
John Deere 455 AWS (All Wheel Steer)
Model Year: 1995

Great performing tractor for 1-2 acres when mowing around many trees and obstacles. Two hydraulic outlets for blowers/blades/sweeper brooms etc. Option for 48" / 54" and 60" cutting decks. Can utilize MC519 Material Collection Cart with leaf/ grass blowing system. 22 HP Diesel engine is solid and will often last 3000-4000 hours without requiring a major overhaul. Diesel is a 3 cylinder Yanmar which is a true performer in this class and price range og garden tractor. Used, expect to pay between $3500-5500.00 depending on year and number of hours. Pricing also depends on what size cutting deck it comes with and number of additional attachments included. The 54" cutting deck seems to be the most widely available followed by the 60" deck and then the 48" deck.

Pros: All noted above! Many replacement parts still available from JD. Used attachments are still readily available for all JD 425/445 and 455's.
Cons: I don't believe that an OEM bucket system can be installed with the AWS version, this is a limitation. Yet it can be installed with the std. 455 two wheel steer version. Used attachements are all still relatively expensive, yet again, fairly easy to locate!

5.00 star(s)
copperman

455 John Deere
Just Bought
Model Year: 1996

Hi All, First of all I would like to say, it's a great website. I just bought myself a John Deere 455 diesel. Up to now I have done 2 hrs. of cutting; was I impressed. The power from the Yanmar engine is great. It has a 54 inch deck I am going to change the selective control valve (leaking), changing the deck belt, and a full service. Will get back here when I have finished. It is the first time I have owned a diesel mower and I am impressed with it so far. Have owned a Simplicity baron up to now.

Pros: Great power and comfortable ride very stable.
Cons: Selective control valve?

5.00 star(s)
denver r

455 John Deere
Excellent Tractor
Model Year: 1993

Very good tractor tough strong durable. All I have done is routine maintenance put fuel in and go. I mow about 5 acres with it. it always starts. I have a 40 bucket with it and also move dirt and brush. plow snow when my driveway needs it.

Pros: Mows very well can move a wheel barrow of dirt at a time and doesn't need much maintenance.
Cons: Should be 4wd same trans on other models used for 4wd an upgrade should be available should have come with front and rear PTO standard. I should have bought a tiller when I bought this machine.

5.00 star(s)
Pilir

455 John Deere
JD 455AWS, 42" Box Blade, 60" Mower, Ruegg 3pt, Redneck FEL
Model Year: 2000

Excellent value for the investment. Highly recommended.

Pros: Quality, HD frame, hydraulics, Yanmar diesel
Cons: 4x4 option.

5.00 star(s)
Deere24319

455 John Deere
John Deere 455 Great Machine
Model Year: 2001

This Deere replaced my 318 Deere. I loved my 318, and hated to sell it. But it wasn't long 'till I knew I had made the right move. First thing I noticed was the difference in the fuel use. The 455 with the 21hp Yammar diesel used less then half the diesel, The 318 18hp Onan would of used in gas. Bigger mower too on the 455 and that less time getting the job done. Just a great machine, run and starts good even in cold weather. Never had a problem to mount to anything with it.

Pros: Well built, easy on fuel.
Cons: Attachments are high cost.

5.00 star(s)
smity25ca

455 John Deere
Workhorse
Model Year: 1999

I bought this garden tractor for snow blowing the driveway in the winter and mowing the lawn in the summer. But it does so much more. Just this fall I raked 30 acres of hay with some substantial rolling hills pulling a JD 4 bar side rake and it never missed a beat. I also had the hay wagon attached to it while collecting bales and I couldn't believe the power that it has. Now the only reason I even attempted this is my wife wanted to help with the hay and is intimidated by the big tractors. I'm extremely impressed with what this machine can do, above and beyond its size.

Pros: Power, ease of use and reliability.
Cons: Ground clearance and front wheels could be larger.

5.00 star(s)
gymrat

455 John Deere
Runs Like a Deere Should!
Model Year: 1995

My Deere is still running strong. I have used synthetic oil (Amsoil) in it since my first 100 hrs.

Pros: Very reliable.
Cons: Pricey parts.