John Deere 955 Reviews

5.00 star(s)
TN955

955 John Deere
JD 955 with Loader and Bradco 408 Backhoe
Model Year: 1992

I bought this tractor without the full support of my wife but once she realized all the projects I could complete with our landscaping, etc., she then decided it was a good move. The tractor is a real workhorse for moving dirt, grading, brush clearing and just about anything. The backhoe is great. I've dug footings, installed water lines, excavated for patios, dug up stumps, removed beaver dams and just anything else I could find to do. The 4-wheel drive is great and having turf tires makes this tractor easy on my yard. The only issue I have is that with me being 6'3", when I use the backhoe I have to be very careful of not getting my forehead slammed against the ROPS or my pants getting ripped by the bolt that holds the spinner to the steering wheel.

Pros: Very solid. Workhorse of a tractor for it's size.
Cons: Narrow wheelbase can feel unstable on slopes.

5.00 star(s)
JDGreen955

955 John Deere
JD 955
Model Year: 0

I bought this tractor to use to build/maintain trails and plant food plots on some hunting property and have been VERY pleased. It is small enough to move around and between the trees, yet powerful enough to work ground for planting. The HST is great when using the FEL.

Pros: Power, size, and simplicity of operation.
Cons: I found a good deal on the tractor, but it was impossible to find a great deal. I guess it's the green paint.

5.00 star(s)
eagle4

955 John Deere
John Deere 955
Model Year: 1999

This has been a great tractor. I don't use it on a daily basis but when I do it has always done the job. I have attachments to do most anything I need. Loader, backhoe, 72" mower deck, rear blade, landscape rake, bucket forks [homemade],soft cab [homemade]. This tractor has been great for maintaining the property and is just a lot of fun.

Pros: Medium size, good power, hydro transmission, quality.
Cons: None.

5.00 star(s)
chippyvan

955 John Deere
Perfect Tractor for Me

Great tractor, very little problems. I use it for clearing, mowing, some ground work and snow plowing. It is a bit light and I wish the FEL had a bit more capacity, but it has been one of the best investments I have ever made. Had one problem where the ground strap to the engine broke and starter current was returning through the throttle cable, which was weird, but easy to fix.

Pros: Reliable, excellent build quality, great for yard work.
Cons: Sometimes too light for pulling/pushing.

5.00 star(s)
meat guy

955 John Deere
JD 955 Does What Needs to Be Done
Model Year: 0

I farm two acres of pick your own strawberries and 2 acres of squash and pumpkins. Also snow blow about a mile and a half of private road and 10 driveways in the winter. The 955 does everything I ask it to do.

Pros: Tight turning, power.
Cons: Had worn out turf tires on when I bought it. Wanted to put on Ag tires. The dealer said they can't get them anymore so ended up with skid steer tires on it. They work but the lugs are not as high as they would be with Ag tires so I am sure I don't have the traction I could have.

5.00 star(s)
Lookout Mountain

955 John Deere
Bullet Tough
Model Year: 1996

Tough little tractor, has a 70A loader new paint job. Tires are about 80%. Has performed very well. Perfect for the work that I need it for.

Pros: Compact tractor with all the bells whistles.
Cons: None so far.

5.00 star(s)
JerryP

955 John Deere
John Deere 955---All Season Tool
Model Year: 1992

My family bought a slightly used 1992 model 955 back in 1994 to use for mowing our large and very steep lawn, as well as snow blowing our approximately 1/4 mile long driveway. This tractor has been a beast for all those years, with no major and very few minor mechanical issues. With a 72" mower deck and the (I think) 60" front mounted blower, it's been an all season tool that has earned its keep well. When we bought it, there was no front end loader. I searched for years to find a 70A loader and finally got one in very lightly used and excellent shape. That really completed the machine, and I imagine we'll keep this in the family for many more years to come.

Pros: Great size for mowing large and steep lawns. With loaded tires and 4WD, it's very stable and has great traction on steep lawn.
Cons: A little loud especially while mowing. With ear protection this isn't a problem.

5.00 star(s)
eagle4

955 John Deere
John Deere 955

This tractor has performed excellent. I have a few attachments---front end loader, backhoe, Wallenstein wood chipper, rear blade, landscape rake and a homemade cab I built out of a golf cart enclosure (works great for winter snow removal). The tractor has never had any issues except for two hydraulic lines I had to replace on the loader. All in all, I don't think I could have found a better tractor for my needs.

Pros: Excellent size and quality.
Cons: None.

5.00 star(s)
sjhulsmn

955 John Deere
1997 John Deere 955
Model Year: 1997

I bought this 5 year old tractor with 75 hours on it from the original owner in 2002. Tractor came with 70A loader, turf tires and 60" mid mount mower. Tractor has been used for installing and maintaining a 6 acre lawn, some light duty brush hogging and light (1-3") snowfalls using a 7' back blade on my 1/4 mile driveway. I doubt that I will ever sell this tractor as it is so handy and user friendly to operate. Tractor is stable on slopes and very fuel efficient. The mechanical "feel" of the hydro transmission is excellent. The engine is rated at 33 hp and the tractor only weighs 2000 pounds. With unfilled turfs, traction is sometimes less than great, especially clearing snow with the back blade. The only repairs have been a tachometer cable replacement and replacing one headlamp. The tachometer cable cost less than $20 and took less than 15 minutes to replace. That's it for repairs. Of course there are the normal oil and fluid changes. I bought a second set of turf wheels and tires 2 years ago because the price was right and they are hard to find. The tractor is in absolute mint condition and just a pleasure to own and operate. In 2006, I purchased a new cab 3720/300CX to handle the bigger tasks and snow removal. The 3720 has been rock solid and with 350 hours on it I have not had a single repair.

Pros: Power, ease of use, reliability.
Cons: A little light for some tasks, replacement tires can be hard to find.

5.00 star(s)
Shady oak

955 John Deere
Good Green Machine
Model Year: 1998

Good machine but hard to start under 20 degrees.

Pros: Excellent tractor.
Cons: Starts a poorly under 20 degrees.