Kubota MX5100 Reviews

4.00 star(s)
SkeeterB

MX5100 Kubota
Kubota MX5100
Model Year: 2010

This is a good tractor that is quality built. However it is a big fuel consumer. You sacrifice fuel economy to get the higher horsepower with the turbo. It is also a light weight tractor and this comes into play when lifting anything heavy. For a tractor of this price range it is missing some key features. One is indicators for Parking Brake and Four Wheel drive. My 40 year old John Deere 2240 even has a parking break indicator/warning. The tractor handles well and with a FEL provides a good deal of utility.

Pros: Good power and operating features
Cons: Consumes fuel and is light weight for a 50 HP tracto

5.00 star(s)
Ruthhlane

MX5100 Kubota
Great tractor except for problem disconnecting stabilizer arms from bushogg
Model Year: 2013

I took delivery of my Kubota Mx5100 in December 2013. I didn't begin using it until the spring of 2014. Everything about this tractor was great until time to disconnect the bushogg. The large pins that connect the main stabilizer arms appear to be "frozen." I've used grease, a large hammer and as much strength as I can muster. The pins will move only so far. No one has been able to provide a solution other than grease and force. I cannot use the tractor now for all of the other tasks it was bought for.

Pros: Well designed for owner maintnance and easy use
Cons: Stabilizer arms very difficult to disconnect from attachment

5.00 star(s)
Shepherd Acres

MX5100 Kubota
MX5100 HST
Model Year: 0

We recently moved out of the city onto 20 acres of rolling, wooded pasture about an hour from Dallas. My main need was mowing the 20 acres, drilling post holes and clearing brush. I started looking at used but the financing is poor and the prices are high. I looked at Chinese/Korean tractors like TYM and Kioti but the dealers come and go so support is so/so. Even on Chinese the price savings is not that much. So for owning something a lifetime it just wasn't worth the 2-3k savings to risk it. The old guys said to go Green or Orange so I met the local Kubota dealer and made a deal with him. Deen Implement is a long standing Kubota dealer with great service. I started looking at the L 3800 and 4600 units. He explained that the 5100 had much nicer features and was only a grand more than the 4600. I am glad I paid the extra money for the 5100. You can rarely have too much tractor. I like the larger tires, turbocharger, bigger loader and the sliding lower 3pt arms. I wish I had gotten the 7-8ft finish mower I think I have the power to pull it. the 6ft mower takes a long time to do the acreage. I have used the 4wd to push up some trees and brush piles. I feel like I have plenty of weight and power. I would not have been nearly as satisfied with the 3800 or 4600 tractors. I went ahead and bought sooner than I was ready to because the tier four units were coming out. They cost 10-15% more and had the regen, DPF etc that I did not want any part of. It will eat some fuel when working and the radiator screen requires cleaning every few hours when mowing which surprises me, I would think they would engineer a tractor to do a days works without shutting down for maintenance. Kubota is solid so far.

Pros: Power, reliability, value dealer support
Cons: Eats the fuel with the turbo spooling, requires frequent radiator cleaining when mowing in the summe

5.00 star(s)
Anonymous Poster

MX5100 Kubota
MX 5100 Orange Machine HST Four Wheel Drive
Model Year: 2014

I upgraded from the L3200 series tractor to the MX 5100 and what a big difference. This tractor has endless horse power and when the turbo is kicked in it is working. It does consume more fuel than the L 3200, but the hydrostatic transmission isn't screaming like the L series. It is a very powerful tractor and well built. The main reason for the upgrade was more horsepower and I wanted to purchase the last years model before the new emissions on the 2015 and the price went up $4,000. As I put more hours on the tractor, I will update my review.

Pros: Well built and great horsepower
Cons: Fuel usage

Photo Uploads:

2.00 star(s)
Anonymous Poster

MX5100 Kubota
Rear Differential Housing
Model Year: 2009

I've had mine for five years and just had the rear differential housing crack for second time. The last time, the cost of repair was $4,200 and was covered by my insurance on the tractor. This has to be design flaw. It should never break, much less twice in 300 hours. It is made of cast iron and should be steel. The only thing I have done with tractor is mow and pull a 5-foot disc and harrow.

Pros: Descent price for size
Cons: Part design flaw

2.00 star(s)
Pottsterrell

MX5100 Kubota
Kubota MX 5100 Cracked Hydraulic Housing Twice
Model Year: 2009

There is a faulty part design in the MX 500 hydraulic housing that is made of cast iron and has broken twice in 324 hours, costing $1700 to fix. This part supports implements and the total weight, and should be made of steel. Kubota says it's caused by the top link getting in a bind going up hills with implements, but I live east of Dallas Texas in the flattest part of country there is, so if it breaks on me, it won't work for you.

Pros: Decent price for size
Cons: Part design flaw

Photo Uploads:

5.00 star(s)
SJherbsandhierlooms

MX5100 Kubota
Clutch Life Is Very Limited

I need to clarify, this was not a hydro-static model. The service tech called it a dry clutch. I have had this tractor for two years and two months. My first year was outstanding. My actual usage was 50+ hours after purchasing it in May of 2013. In October 2013, I had the tractor prepped for winter storage, (the service center where it was purchased had changed hands in October as well). The tractor was kept inside my barn. In 2014, we prepped the tractor, but had only used it for another 57 hours. Service was delayed, only because we were utilizing dealer specials on winter service, and it was done in February of 2015. In late March or early April, I found myself in the field with no power. After leaving the tractor for an hour or so, I was able to use the low gear to crawl to the edge where a service vehicle came out. Upon inspection, the tech told me he needed to adjust the clutch all the way out. This was with about 120 hours on it. At 133 hours, the tractor had no power and was no longer usable. At 133.7 hours, the clutch had to be replaced. Very disappointing! You can accuse me of poor handling of the clutch, I primarily used this tractor to brush hog, as well as run a tiller. I'm an organic farmer, not a row crop farmer. My tilling was limited to seven rows of 250 feet, seven feet wide. Not sure what would have caused this premature situation.

Pros: None
Cons: Good pulling power as long as the clutch lasts

4.00 star(s)
Anonymous Poster

MX5100 Kubota
It Gets The Job Done. Geared Model 4X4

I mainly use my Kubota for brush hogging, box blading the driveway. and drilling post holes. It has good power for mowing. I also use it to pick up and haul logs out of the woods. So far the drivetrain and engine have been excellent. The bad. It has a pedal lock parking brake that is sketchy when applied. A hand lever type that John Deere has would be much better. The floorboard for the driver's station is poorly painted. Within the first 30 hours, the paint was chipping to the bare metal. When you lift the hood on an off-camber the hood mounts come out of place. A four-wheel drive indicator would be nice, and tilt steering too. Even with fluid in the rear tires, it won't pick up 1,700 pounds without picking up the rear end.

Pros: All around a decent tractor
Cons: Needs serious refinement

5.00 star(s)
terry5449

MX5100 Kubota
So Good So Far

Since this was my first tractor, I have no others to compare it with. All I can say is that it does what I ask it to do and it starts easily every time. The only mishap was a front-end loader that got seriously out of line and a broken radiator (both my fault). I use mainly for brush hogging and light material moving.

Pros: Ease of use, reliability
Cons: Price, needs 4-by-4 light

5.00 star(s)
Code54

MX5100 Kubota
MX5100
Model Year: 2012

I am very pleased with the machine. I use it on hills and the stability is excellent. It has plenty of power in low or medium. The loader is strong and you have to have a counter-weight or the rear will lift up.

Pros: Strong loader and machine
Cons: Need counter-weight for heavy lifting