Ferguson TO-30 Reviews

4.00 star(s)
Anonymous Poster

TO-30 Ferguson
Ferguson To 30
Model Year: 1954

Just got the tractor recently. I can use this to move dirt and rocks around the property. I gave it a good wash, and new paint. Still learn how to use it, how to perform the maintenance and the safety aspects in operating a tractor. I will need to buy the manuals and will post to seek help from our experienced members.

Pros: Reasonable price, can do the job.
Cons: Old, need to be ready to fix any minor problem that may come my way.

Photo Uploads:

4.00 star(s)
Peace

TO-30 Ferguson
1953 Ferguson TO30 Gas
Model Year: 1953

1. Build Quality: 4 stars because it is still running good and working pretty strong without any known major overhauls. 2. Features: 3 stars because FEL was not common for the early years and hydraulic 3pt hitch and PTO are nice features. Would have given it 4 stars if it had power steering or hydraulic tilt on the front bucket. There is no draft control on the rear hydraulics either. I don't like the positive ground 6 volt electrical system, it's a bit confusing to me. I would have given 5 stars with an additional air conditioned cab, nice stereo, GPS tracking and a fuel gauge! Okay, some of that had not been invented yet. 3. Performance: 4 stars because at around 18-20 hp, considering the weight of the tractor, that's about all it can safely handle. The front hydraulics are strong enough to lift the back of the tractor off the ground with a 72" box scraper attached. I also bent the bucket lifting a barrel of steel bolts, straining the hydraulics to their max capacity. Lots of bucket rust could have been a factor too. The brakes do not stop the tractor very well. I need to really stand on them hard. They don't feel worn, just a bit inadequate when loaded down with implements (FEL, box scraper). Value: My dad gave me the tractor. It does not get much better than that! Reliability: I have not had any long term experience with the machine yet. But I had to give 4 stars because after sitting for 10 years (with fuel in the tank), no tune up, (old wires, plugs, distributor cap, etc...) all I did to get it running was to clean the fuel tank out , clean the fuel lines and carburetor, bought a new 6 volt battery, and she fired right up. So far this summer I have replaced the worn tie rod ends, replaced the front wheels that were rusted through, new front AG tires, new settling bowl and filter for the fuel line, new ignition coil, new box scraper, new PTO shaft, new trans and hydraulic oil. I added a quart of Lucas oil additive to the front hydraulic system to slow down the leaks, It worked great! Both the pump and the control valve were leaking terrible before the Lucas additive. I also added a pint to the transmission oil.

Pros: Good value, parts available, easy to work on, strong little tractor.
Cons: Tiring to steer with FEL. Poor brakes.

Photo Uploads:

3.00 star(s)
TomDetweiler

TO-30 Ferguson
A Tinkerer's Tractor: High Maintenance Forever
Model Year: 1952

I bought my TO30 in 1999 from a member of our local EDGE/TA group. I have spent far more hours maintaining and repairing it, than I have using it! When it runs, it runs well but these older tractors are for people who LIKE mechanicking more than someone who needs a tractor for actual dependable work. It is a very powerful, low geared machine and I've pulled Manzanita stumps right out of the ground, and picked up ditched cars easily using its three point hitch. The 3-point hitch easily handles implements, the most useful of which is my scoop, hands down. The PTO works great with a good Bush Hog although it requires an adapter. The problems with it were: fuel tank (replaced it with a plastic ATV tank), carburetor (cracked and leaking air until I found it during a rebuild), the starters I had to replace, rusted stuck quad control handle/shaft, dead gauges, useless on/off switch subject to rain death, batteries... Well you name it. It has been a constant maintenance and repair headache with only limited usefulness time. If you have a small place and need an actual and dependable work machine this is NOT the one you want. Get a new one you don't have to spend all your time working on.

Pros: Cheap. Worked fine for several years. Will probably maintain value when I sell it.
Cons: Requires constant upkeep, maintenance, and repairs. Limited usefulness.

Photo Uploads:

5.00 star(s)
termo

TO-30 Ferguson
More Fun Than I Ever Guessed
Model Year: 1956

Five years ago I bought this old thing that was made when I graduated high school, 57 years ago. I put a 5 ft brush hog behind it to bring back a 7 acre pasture that was about to become a forest again. I've also hauled firewood and given grandchildren and nieces hay rides pulling a trailer. She burns no oil, and is as easy to diagnose, tune and fix as my first late '30's car. I've found old and new parts including a fan shroud, by searching online. Recently I converted the inadequate 6 volt system to 12 volts, and that was as easy as pie. With all this cranking power I plan to power up in the winter, and am considering putting a snow plow on it. Anyone done that? Summing up: the most fun I've had spending $3,000.

Pros: Great for a variety of rural jobs, including pulling logs from deep woods.
Cons: Power take off disengages whenever the clutch is in.

5.00 star(s)
5RNM

TO-30 Ferguson
Best Old Tractor in Class for the Money!

Bought it this spring for brush hog and general pasture work, fixing fence, cutting firewood, dragging arena. Was cleaned and painted when I bought it. Starts every time and hasn't left me out in the field yet. Mowed 7 acres of pasture too late this year so it had to drag a 5-foot Woods Brush Bull through weeds higher than the front hood and TO-30 never missed a beat! PTO seal been leaking since I bought it and found out last week the alternator stopped charging. Both are easy and cheap fixes to be done this winter. Glad I paid cash for this one rather than getting 60 months of payments something more expensive!

Pros: Best power and traction for size. Easy to work on.
Cons: No hydraulic remote, not a live PTO.

Photo Uploads:

5.00 star(s)
Anonymous Poster

TO-30 Ferguson
Get One

I read mostly positive posts about the TO-30, along with one guy that was complaining about having to do things to his that are common to do to any model. I picked mine up at a flea market store for $1,700. I paid that much because it had almost new tires, and because I could tell that all it needed was a valve job. I trailered it home, yanked the head off, and sure enough found 2 burned exhaust valves. I ordered 2 new valves, a head gasket, 4 brake shoes, a muffler, points, plugs, and plug wires, a inline fuel filter, and a spin on oil filter kit. All the parts came to about 225 dollars. I spent a few hours after work for a week, then the weekend getting everything done. I was right that all the engine needed was a valve job (I lapped the valves myself in my garage). It has really great compression now, and burns no oil. I bought it to clear a 1 acre lot that I bought. The lot was in the natural state, and was covered with weeds and mesquite. I filled in rain cut ditches that were 150' long and 3-4 feet deep. I now have the lot leveled flat as a pancake (with the blade that I bought for $200), and I just put a "will build to suit tenant" on it. I couldn't be happier, and have been completely amazed at what serious work horses they are. If you have any property or land at all, get one of these. They'll do far, far more hard work than you would guess just by looking at their small size. They're nothing but amazing. Happy hunting if you don't already have one.

Pros: Simple to work on. Parts cheap and readily available. Has a really good 3 point hitch system. Economical on fuel, yet has tons of power. Easily hauled on a fairly small trailer (I use a two axle car hauler trailer). Has very good gear ranges in transmission (it's quick on the road, yet in low gear it pulls like a D-6 cat). Visibility is good. The ride is comfortable, even with factory metal seat. It steers very easy, especially considering it doesn't have power steering. Has a perfect PTO (unless you insist on a live PTO, which I don't). The three point hitch handles heavy implements with ease. It's made in the good ol' USA, not Korean, Japanese, or Chinese. They are good investments with prices for them going up every year. The T-30 is a utility tractor, so is built lower to the ground as opposed to a farm tractor like the AC C model. This makes the TO-30 very easy to get on and off of.
Cons: Doesn't have a live PTO.

5.00 star(s)
1950FergieMike

TO-30 Ferguson
1954 Ferguson TO-30
Model Year: 1954

Don't know much about it yet.

Pros: Old and easy to work on.
Cons: Old and it needs work.

Photo Uploads:

5.00 star(s)
5RNM

TO-30 Ferguson
1952 TO30 Best Value for the Money
Model Year: 0

Bought it freshly painted with new clutch installed. Used it for mowing pastures. 3-pt. lifts and handles a 5 ft Woods Brush Bull no problem. Needs a little maintenance, PTO seal, alternator replaced. Got the I and T manual, looks to be easy fix. Parts readily available online or at local TEMCO farm supply. Glad I found it, wouldn't trade for newest Deere or Kubota.

Pros: Power for it's size, gearing and 3-pt lift power.
Cons: Not a live PTO.

Photo Uploads:

5.00 star(s)
7oaksFergie

TO-30 Ferguson
TO 30
Model Year: 1953

I got this TO30 to mostly cut our 15 ac pasture. It is a bit temperamental to start, but has run great. I have since learned that they are notoriously temperamental. I like the simplicity of the machine and its quality.

Pros: A workhorse.
Cons: Finding parts.

2.00 star(s)
Midmud

TO-30 Ferguson
Live and Learn

When I retired, I thought I wanted a project to keep me busy, but little did I know that the Ferguson TO 30 would give me more than I bargained for. When I purchased the tractor from a private seller, I did all the usual checks before the final deal: oil looked good (too good) hydraulics, trans. tires, sheet metal all good engine ran good etc. So now I have it home and have been running it maybe 10 times. Time to check the oil, (uh, oh) oil is milky, (heart sank) we all know what that means. Sure enough---cracked block. So if you are considering a Ferguson, please double check the block as this was a problem with this model. Thanks for listening.

Pros: Nice size for snow removal etc.
Cons: No power steering.