speed of a toolcat

/ speed of a toolcat #1  

3Bladz

Silver Member
Tractor
a real 4320JD and a 3720JD 5610 Toolcat "Luigi"
How fast will your toolcats run down the road? Does it slow down much when going up a hill?
Mine will only do 20 down hill with the wind behind it. It usually is between 10 and 15. The thing accellerates like a loaded freight train. I was expecting to really cut down travel times between snow removal jobs over my tractor, but it went the other way. This sucks.

/ speed of a toolcat #2  
I'm good to 18 MPH with 29" tires on level, paved road. If I let it go to 18.5 MPH it appears there's some sort of governor that AGGRESSIVELY reduces my speed down to about 14 whereupon I have to build it back up again. Hills are killers when trying to make time between jobs. The maximum speed is a published spec, IIRC.

/ speed of a toolcat #3  
The 18 mph advertised speed is on smooth, paved, level road with no wind IMO. Going up hill it certainly slows downs substantially more than I would have suspected, especially at full engine throttle and with no other hydraulics being used. I would have expected the engine to provide enough reserve power to drive the Toolcat at full speed most of the time. I realize it is a fairly heavy machine at 5,500 lbs. (light), and only 59 HP but I would think the HP management and turbo could make up for some of that.

DEWFPO

/ speed of a toolcat #4  
I believe a lot of the slowness going up hills is due to the hp management system on my D series. According to my shop manual, it seems the hp management can be turned off. Haven't tried it yet.

/ speed of a toolcat #5  
I believe a lot of the slowness going up hills is due to the hp management system on my D series. According to my shop manual, it seems the hp management can be turned off. Haven't tried it yet.

Radman1, I just got the service manual in the mail yesterday. When you get a chance can you post what page number I might find this? I skimmed thru the hundreds of pages in the manual last night but obviously have missed it.

Thanks, DEWFPO

/ speed of a toolcat #6  
Radman1, I just got the service manual in the mail yesterday. When you get a chance can you post what page number I might find this? I skimmed thru the hundreds of pages in the manual last night but obviously have missed it.

Thanks, DEWFPO

In my service manual (for a 5610), it is on page 60-90-1 under the horsepower management paragraph. It is a 2 sentence paragraph that tells how to enable or disable.

That page also discusses how to disable the 2 speed and high flow. Also tells how to adjust for tire size.

/ speed of a toolcat #7  
Thanks Radman1, It must be on a different page in my service manual for my 5600. Our driveway is a 12% grade and the Toolcat will continue to increase speed going up it and then it will buck 5 or 6 times and slow down some as it settles in. Very annoying to say the least. I'll search some more.

DEWFPO

/ speed of a toolcat #8  
The HP management seems to work more smoothly with the higher rpms. It seems to "hunt" for the right speed at lower rpms. It is also more jerky when the TC is moving and at the same time increase the throttle. However, it smooths out in a few seconds.

Look under the index in the front of your manual under display controller panel setup for the on/off of the hp management.

/ speed of a toolcat #9  
Thanks Radman1, It must be on a different page in my service manual for my 5600. Our driveway is a 12% grade and the Toolcat will continue to increase speed going up it and then it will buck 5 or 6 times and slow down some as it settles in. Very annoying to say the least. I'll search some more.

DEWFPO

If you can't find it in your manual, let me know. I can give you the instructions but I need to know if your TC has a key or keyless start.

/ speed of a toolcat #10  
I did find the pages in the manual regarding the display controller panel setup but did not see anything there that talked about the HP Mgmt system. I have a 'key start' 5600. Thanks Radman1.

DEWFPO