septic tank

/ septic tank #11  
If your septic tank has filters they may need checking.

Lets just hope it's something simple that can be rectified for little cost.:D

/ septic tank #13  
forgeblast, The 4" pvc is an inspection port for the drain field. Looking in the pipe will tell you if the drain field is plugged. There will be standing water in it if it is plugged.
The tank should be between the inspection port and the cleanout located near the house. In your case the cleanout might be in the basement on the same side of the house where the inspection pipe is located. Maybe you have a pumping system to pump the waste up to the tank. Don't know all the details. Your tank cleaning person should give you some insight. $250 is a fair price for pumping. Finding the tank and digging up the lid will cost a bit more. Dave

/ septic tank #14  
If you are on a hill and the tank has an open to air drain, check for an ice block. I just had to clear my garage drain to the outside, that has my condensate from my new furnace ran to it.

/ septic tank
i know right where the lid is and tommorrow hope to dig it out to save me a bit of cash. i will have to do some poking around tommorrow morning....today i have to get home bundle the kid up and go to pick up the well pressure tank and get the snake. then hopfully find out whats wrong....love when problems like this happen in the winter.

/ septic tank #16  
I've never seen or heard of a septic tank having a filter... Think about that for a minute. The function of a septic tank simply doesn't have use for a filter... solid stuff goes into the tank, settles out and decomposes...
Find the clean out plugs.. there should be a couple of them between the house and the septic tank.. flush and watch for water flowing down the pipe.. if it's clogged, the water won't flow or will exit the clean out plug... Good luck with it..

/ septic tank #17  
You'll be able to tell alot once you open it, with a garden hose you will quickly establish if it's plugged going in or blocked going out.

First of all the level should be aprx 12 inches from the top, if it's filled right to the top then the out going pipe/baffle is blocked. Run the water in the tank first, if the level doesn't rise above the static level then it's the main line coming in that's causing the trouble. If it fills up then its either the baffle or the field. but most likely the baffle.
Make sure they don't just pump it out without checking the inlet and outlet. Around here Roto Rooter wouldn't be the best choice, being a franchise you usually get the least experienced personnel and they will always try and sell you some other expensive service. but your local may be legit.

Good luck.

/ septic tank #18  
I just had my 800 gallon pumped this fall @$150. Local guy who showed me what to check for and made sure that things were as they should be prior to and after pumping.As JB4310 said you really need to open it and look, especially if you have not in 7 years -- if it is a simple two compartment with a leach field type system then you can usually see the problem when you take off both caps. Gets a little more complex when you have peat or other filtration, macerators etc but does not sound like that is the case here. Just some thoughts:eek:

/ septic tank #19  
As far as filters, there may be a difference of label. Some of the newer tanks have a filter / baffle system that can plug up. The local septic supplier around here sells a service option to come and clean them on a set schedule.

/ septic tank #20