septic tank

/ septic tank #1  

forgeblast

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deer 318
Hi we are on a septic tank and i have been having some water back up into the basment floor drain. When ever we flush a toilet there is a burp or bubbles comeing up and then some water backs into the basement.
Its been 7 years since we had it pumped out.
Is it a vent issue(vent clogged on roof) or
a full septic?

/ septic tank #2  
Hi we are on a septic tank and i have been having some water back up into the basment floor drain. When ever we flush a toilet there is a burp or bubbles comeing up and then some water backs into the basement.
Its been 7 years since we had it pumped out.
Is it a vent issue(vent clogged on roof) or
a full septic?

I would vote for calling the honeydew truck asap. I'm not sure a clogged vent could cause a backup to that extent. Can you access your septic tank lids and eyeball the situation? Even removing the lid would provide air if the vent stack is blocked. Make sure it isn't just a clogged waste line too. Do you have a clean-out in your basement?
Dave.

Last edited:
   / septic tank #3  
Another possibility is that the main drain line from the house to the septic tank is partially obstructed. Last year we had the same thing ( water backing up into the basement). The main drain pipe had broken and was partially obstructed by TP, etc catching on the broken portions of pipe. Had to have the pipe replaced from under the basment slab to the tank. Very expensive $$$$. Hope your problem is something simpler than that. If pumping doesn't fix it sewer companies can do a visual inspection with a camera to check the integrity of the drain lines.

/ septic tank #4  
It could be either but if the septic is full it could be because of a field problem. Find the lids, pull them off and look.If the level of the tank is above the outflow it is a field problem. Get it pumped anyway to stop the problem in the interim of fixing the field. It may be as simple as something partially plugging the outflow pipe.
If it is a plugged vent then a flushing toilet is likely to clear nearby traps and you will get a sewer smell back through the sink. I jury rig a shop vac into the inspection port of my main drain and turn it on blow to clear my vent which occasionaly freezes shut from condensation in winter. Either way its a dirty job but someone has to do it:eek:

/ septic tank
thanks....I will call for a truck and then dig the lid out, its nice and cold today, i will also get a snake and check for clogs.

/ septic tank #6  
One observation, normally septic systems are to high to allow for basement floor drain. you must have a walk out basement or a yard that quickly drops off away from house, also normally wouldn't want a floor drain connected to septic system for the reason you are experiencing, that is the lowest open port and that's where it would overflow first.

Could be a number of things already mentioned, my vote is partly blocked baffle out of the tank, which a good cleaning should clear.

If it is just a slow draining tank, then without that floor drain you may never of noticed it because it would catch up after some period of time.
Does the water that comes up in that drain go back down fairly quickly? Describe the topography around the house and yard, again with a floor drain it could be indicative of a low pitched main line which would be susceptible to backing up with any restriction in flow.
Worst case would be a corrupted field.

/ septic tank #7  
thanks....I will call for a truck and then dig the lid out, its nice and cold today, i will also get a snake and check for clogs.

Hello neighbor. :) Notice these things never happen in June? You wouldn't have one of those wonderful sand mounds would you? I'm expecting to have a problem in the next month or two with mine, it's been a couple winters since my last issue.

/ septic tank
Walk out basement with a gentle sloping yard away from the house.
the water that comes out of the drain goes back down but takes a while.
I was hoping to get the tank pumped out in june but this is the month for things to go...
replaced the water heater, will be repacing the well pressure pump, and apparently getting the septic pumped. Cant wait for december to be over.

just called roto-rooter they will be up tommorrow before noon to pump it out. ~250 for a 1k gallon tank.

/ septic tank #9  
ForgeBlast,
Ah! the joys of a septic tank. 5 yrs ago I moved to a home with a Septic Tank system(600 gallon). My first. Called the old timer in the business whom regularly took care of the system I purchased.
My home was built in the 40's. Same Septic Tank system is in place. He told me to 1; keep the kitchen grease IN the garbage can, not the drain 2: only tp in the drain, no other paper including those sanitary towels women use for wiping down the toilet etc. they are not bio degradeable in the septic system. (my neighbors wife PLUGGED their system with those towels) 3: Pump your tank every 3 years, that will keep your drain field from plugging with solids, drain fields are expensive to replace compared to pumping a tank. 4: Get single acting yeast from your local bakery and put in the tank 2 times a year (1# yeast + 1 cup sugar in warm 100deg water, wait 10 min to activate yeast and flush) 4: NEVER PUT THOSE STORE BOUGHT SEPTIC TANK PRODUCTS IN YOUR SEPTIC TANKS SYSTEM.

Your system is probably blocked at the inlet. Best to pump the tanks and check it out. Call an old timer whom has been in the business for years. If you live in a cold climate, install extensions on the tank. That way you don't have to dig in frozen dirt to check or clean the tank.
Best of luck. Hope it is a simple fix. Dave

/ septic tank
Thanks, I grew up on a septic and watched my dad clog his up with kitchen grease. I keep it in the garbage especially after seeing the bill.
I do a lot of home brewing and my yeast once im done with it goes down the drain to keep the system working.
I was worried i was going to have to dig the lid up but i do have an extension close to the house, will the truck be able to pump from there its i think 4'' pvc pipe.
We also since we are on a well, have high effecience toilets and a great washer to keep the tank and well happy.
I am hoping its a simple fix, after the rest of the stuff going this month i need to catch a break.